Some examples of what I hate, in no particular order-

All forms of jazz

All forms of gospel

All forms of Hip-Hop, R & B, Soul, and Rap

All forms of country music

Most of everything made after about 1985

All forms of commercial "Christmas"  music 

All music that is played loudly, even the little bit I do like 

@Reinier What does that leave? Like what actually made it onto your listening shortlist? I was going to ask about Fairy of New York as a non-commercial Christmas possibility, but it was released about three years too late. 

And I notice you didn't mention classical music in the hate list. Does the "released after 1985" criteria apply to that as well? I guess most classical melodies probably qualify as "cover tunes."

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
23 of 32

If I am being completely objective, it would be fair to say that all of the music I hate is pretty lousy.

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
24 of 32

Renata S wrote:

Reinier B wrote:

Some examples of what I hate, in no particular order-

All forms of jazz

All forms of gospel

All forms of Hip-Hop, R & B, Soul, and Rap

All forms of country music

Most of everything made after about 1985

All forms of commercial "Christmas"  music 

All music that is played loudly, even the little bit I do like 

@Reinier What does that leave? Like what actually made it onto your listening shortlist? I was going to ask about Fairy of New York as a non-commercial Christmas possibility, but it was released about three years too late. 

And I notice you didn't mention classical music in the hate list. Does the "released after 1985" criteria apply to that as well? I guess most classical melodies probably qualify as "cover tunes."

I have a long short-list- in fact, too long to reproduce here. However, my list does not include complete genres, nor all the work from any particular band or composer. I cherry-pick what I like, but for the most part, music has to do something positive for me, like, for instance, relaxing me when I am in the middle of a bout of insomnia.

In short, if I can't use the lyrics or instruments to sort of see what the composer was thinking, seeing, or feeling when the piece was conceived, I hate the music. As for classical music; I find that most of it is nothing but a senseless/pointless plonking on piano keys, or banging on drums, or hurting violins, but having said that, there are some pieces I do like, such as the Nessun Dorma, especially when I can't sleep. 

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
25 of 32

I have come to hate this song lately as it is been playing around in my head for the last two weeks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCQfkEkePx8

...........you welcome.

Heather N Member Since: Nov 13, 2020
26 of 32

Mi Pan...whatever 

Drives me crazy

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
27 of 32

Reinier does seem to have a severe case of allergy to music. Let's guess what his likes are. Brassband, when played softly, perhaps?

Most of you seem to hate repetitve tunes, that stick to your brain and annoy you to tears. In that case, I will suggest Jerusalema.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
28 of 32
Lest anyone think I’m a snob, there are classical tunes I hate. Now, classical is mostly instrumental so perhaps not strictly songs, but here’s a rather popular piece I dislike (and it’s repetitive as heck):
Canon in D — Pachelbel
29 of 32

John K wrote:
Lest anyone think I’m a snob, there are classical tunes I hate. Now, classical is mostly instrumental so perhaps not strictly songs, but here’s a rather popular piece I dislike (and it’s repetitive as heck):
Canon in D — Pachelbel

Incredible, John, you dont like that masterpice! If I'm not mistaken, many great composers love that Canon in D and have used it as a base for something nearly as beautiful (and annoying).

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
30 of 32

Luce N wrote:

John K wrote:
Canon in D — Pachelbel

Incredible, John, you dont like that masterpice! If I'm not mistaken, many great composers love that Canon in D and have used it as a base for something nearly as beautiful (and annoying).

Speaking of composers, this will date me I'm afraid but I once saw pianist George Winston play the Canon, only he credited the composition to Bach. JSB must have turned over in his grave. I did not buy a ticket to the George Winston concert, I was invited by a friend. Cat LOLcanon.jpg