Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Speech to Text

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
1 of 6

I'm not sure how many writers need to use speech to text program but I find that I'm meeting more and more often these days because of the amount of time I do write. I don't have the money to get the dragon naturally speaking software so I thought I'd look for something that was free.

Yes I do have windows speech recognition but apparently it does not understand me that well. Some of the words that I say don't translate into anything near what the sentence mean. So I google speech recognition software and I found speechnotes.co. I'm using it right now and I'm going to leave it as is without correcting any mistakes so they can see how it works.

I'm reading over what I've already spoken and there are some mistakes but I'm sitting about three feet away from my last two and they're outside noise you going on and I don't even have a headset on, plus I don't enunciate well, so I think its doing pretty well actually. This paragraph didn't come out as well as I had expected but it's not horrible.

If you've used this program before, how often do you use it?
If you've never used it before would you consider using it?

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 6

I rarely do transcription work, but when I do, I find Express Scribe useful and you can download a free version of it. You can fiddle with speed and tonality etc. But this may not be what you are looking for, and  maybe you can do this too with speechnotes? I've not tried it.

http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/kb/657.html

screeler
Community Guru
3 of 6

thanks Nichola.

I tried to download it, but it seems it's incompatible. bah. 

colettelewis
Community Guru
4 of 6

Are you using a Mac or Windows?

screeler
Community Guru
5 of 6

windows. im sure that i have to do some figuring on my laptop, but i don't have the finger energy right now. maybe i need to start it in adminstrative? i'll find out later when my fingers feel better. 

colettelewis
Community Guru
6 of 6

I see there are quite a few techie help pages for it - so it should work for you at some point - good luck with it!

Smiley Happy

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS