🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Strong earthquake in Southern California
Page options
m_terrazas
Community Member

Strong earthquake in Southern California

I just read that there has been a strong earthquake in Southern California.
For all the comrades in that area, is everything all right?

16 REPLIES 16
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

The epicenter seems to have been out in the country.  My friends in Los Angeles and Las Vegas felt it, but had no damage. 

California people - everyone okay?

Maria, there were 2 big ones in the same area. Thuursday's was 6.2 and Friday's 7.1.  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48891511

Yes I saw it.
At first I only read about the last one.
The two have been very strong!

datasciencewonk
Community Member

I definitely felt it.

Thought I was escaping those quakes when I left California. 

Wrong.

I messaged my nephew in San Francisco  and told him to stay safe. He was enjoying 4 July with his kids and he said, "what quake?" So my California geography is seriously bad!

LOL...

Yep, Nichola, the center of the earthquake was closer to me than to your nephew in SF. 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Santa Barbara and east have been big time.  Between epic floods, devastating fires, and new the 2 quakes plus aftershocks my friends there are close to decamping for good.

Kat, how much shaking hit Vegas?

Havng watched (again) the video clip Rene shared took me back to Southern California childhood memories...

- Pre-planning for a quake was a way of life. Both at home and in school

- Car trunks (boots) always had cases of bottled water, some canned goods like tuna, a manual can opener, peanut butter, etc. 

Years later living in the Bay Area - same scenario.  I was there when the Oakland Bridge went down ...

End result - earthquakes really don't scare me - or most Californians; the mere thought of a tornado scares the living y'all know what out of me though.

Though I've been through many Caliquakes, it didn't quite dawn on me that we were experiencing one when my chair was mildly shaking on its own (Friday night). 

I thought that maybe I'd been watching too many of the Travel Channel's paranormal TV shows lol.

I'm just off the Las Vegas strip (no, literally, I'm 2 blocks from Stratosphere). I was sitting in my office chair when the first one hit and it felt like sloshing back and forth on a lake or ocean, slow and forceful. Very surreal really. The second time, my wife's wheelchair started moving back and forth, she thought one of the cats was playing with her. I was in the office chair again but this time it was more forceful than the first. The vertical blinds were swaying back and forth and the water in the water cooler was churning quite a bit.

The odd thing about it, though, is that both times EVERY dog in our neighborhood, incuding ours, started barking like they lost their minds about 10-15 minutes before it hit.The second time it happened we joked "the dogs are barking again, maybe there's another quake coming", then everything started moving.

George, animals all sense when an earthquake is imminent.  Birds chirp like crazy; dogs bark like the world is ending, etc.  Animals are simply more attuned to nature than we are.

Wendy C wrote:

George, animals all sense when an earthquake is imminent.  Birds chirp like crazy; dogs bark like the world is ending, etc.  Animals are simply more attuned to nature than we are.

Very impressive. It would be nice if some dogs would take it all a bit more seriously and reserve the end-is-near barking for earthquakes, and not waste it on the UPS truck driving a block away.

Mine seem to think UPS, mail-people, FedEx ... and every single car, bike, trike, and walker within 6 blocks is a tremendous threat to our safety.

However they seem to disregard my mental sensibilities ...

Client calls are prefaced with "I have dogs. Big dogs. Loud voiced very vocal dogs ...."

Wendy C wrote:

Client calls are prefaced with "I have dogs. Big dogs. Loud voiced very vocal dogs ...."

I can confirm. I hate your noisy dogs 🙂

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

LOL, Rene.  They simply wanted to converse with the gentleman of the dulcet toned delightful French accent. Woman Wink

We just had a quake here on Seattle on the 12th. I lived in LA for 7-years but the worst quakes I have experienced have been here in Seattle. This most recent one though wasn't a big deal although it did wake us up. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths