cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strong earthquake in Southern California

Ace Contributor
George J Member Since: Nov 9, 2014
11 of 17

I'm just off the Las Vegas strip (no, literally, I'm 2 blocks from Stratosphere). I was sitting in my office chair when the first one hit and it felt like sloshing back and forth on a lake or ocean, slow and forceful. Very surreal really. The second time, my wife's wheelchair started moving back and forth, she thought one of the cats was playing with her. I was in the office chair again but this time it was more forceful than the first. The vertical blinds were swaying back and forth and the water in the water cooler was churning quite a bit.

The odd thing about it, though, is that both times EVERY dog in our neighborhood, incuding ours, started barking like they lost their minds about 10-15 minutes before it hit.The second time it happened we joked "the dogs are barking again, maybe there's another quake coming", then everything started moving.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
12 of 17

George, animals all sense when an earthquake is imminent.  Birds chirp like crazy; dogs bark like the world is ending, etc.  Animals are simply more attuned to nature than we are.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
13 of 17

Wendy C wrote:

George, animals all sense when an earthquake is imminent.  Birds chirp like crazy; dogs bark like the world is ending, etc.  Animals are simply more attuned to nature than we are.

Very impressive. It would be nice if some dogs would take it all a bit more seriously and reserve the end-is-near barking for earthquakes, and not waste it on the UPS truck driving a block away.

Community Guru
14 of 17

Mine seem to think UPS, mail-people, FedEx ... and every single car, bike, trike, and walker within 6 blocks is a tremendous threat to our safety.

However they seem to disregard my mental sensibilities ...

Client calls are prefaced with "I have dogs. Big dogs. Loud voiced very vocal dogs ...."

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
15 of 17

Wendy C wrote:

Client calls are prefaced with "I have dogs. Big dogs. Loud voiced very vocal dogs ...."

I can confirm. I hate your noisy dogs :-)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
16 of 17

LOL, Rene.  They simply wanted to converse with the gentleman of the dulcet toned delightful French accent. Woman Wink

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
17 of 17

We just had a quake here on Seattle on the 12th. I lived in LA for 7-years but the worst quakes I have experienced have been here in Seattle. This most recent one though wasn't a big deal although it did wake us up. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS