🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Suggestion: Use the connects to boost you...
Page options
deadlydragon00
Community Member

Suggestion: Use the connects to boost your name on top of the list.

I know not all people spend their connect(s) and it turns out that remaining connects become useless and then again the possibility of getting a job offer is very LOW , what if connects are usable for boosting your name in the list. The more connects you sacrifice the better boost you will get.

Scenario:

Job seeker premium benefit 2.PNG

Image is owned by Linkedin. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Kudos to Elmar for thinking outside the box.

I know there are things a bit like this on other platforms, where people can pay money to boost the prominence of their job applications... And I hate that...

But I actually don't hate this idea.

With an understanding that contractors should really not be paying for connects... if a contractor is willing to sacrifice double the connects needed because they don't apply to so many jobs, and they REALLY think this particular job is a good fit... Then I don't see how this would be a bad thing.

You still can't buy your way into getting a job if a client doesn't want to hire you... But if you want to apply to half as many jobs, but make yourself a bit more prominently featured in a client's job applicant feed... I don't see how that would be unfair or harmful to the overall system.

There's not a snowball's chance in heck of this actually getting implemented, and I'm sure a LOT of people will hate the idea. But it's interesting to think about.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
lysis10
Community Member

Today, I've decided to blow through 120 connects and Ima just post this as my proposal

hammertime.gif

Kudos to Elmar for thinking outside the box.

I know there are things a bit like this on other platforms, where people can pay money to boost the prominence of their job applications... And I hate that...

But I actually don't hate this idea.

With an understanding that contractors should really not be paying for connects... if a contractor is willing to sacrifice double the connects needed because they don't apply to so many jobs, and they REALLY think this particular job is a good fit... Then I don't see how this would be a bad thing.

You still can't buy your way into getting a job if a client doesn't want to hire you... But if you want to apply to half as many jobs, but make yourself a bit more prominently featured in a client's job applicant feed... I don't see how that would be unfair or harmful to the overall system.

There's not a snowball's chance in heck of this actually getting implemented, and I'm sure a LOT of people will hate the idea. But it's interesting to think about.

Preston H wrote:

There's not a snowball's chance in heck of this actually getting implemented,

And yet, here we are with that hare-brained idea being implemented in September.

novikovma
Community Member

I honestly can't get an idea how can you blow through all the connects and still lack work... I hardly ever spent even 20% of the allotment. You should do a better job of writing cover letters IMO, it's not about connects that make finding clients difficult to you.

Preston wrote, "There's not a snowball's chance in heck of this actually getting implemented, and I'm sure a LOT of people will hate the idea. But it's interesting to think about."

Here's another idea with no chance of being adopted--autohide insurance. Spend an extra connect or 2 and Upwork guarantees it will not autohide your application.

As above poster said: 

Even for someone relatively new to Upwork and who is into the most "active" part of upwork (web/mobile app creation) I find it relatively easy to get a "good" job and several "medicore" jobs in a month.  

I always make sure that IF someone reads my conver letter and view my profile,  they will want to interview me.  I myself would not dislike this feature being added, but I still wouldn't utilize it.  It means I would simply go for jobs later in the month, when most people are low on connects.

lysis10
Community Member

I want to bid 100 connects to farm some hate and amuse myself.

a8e28f1f
Community Member

upwork implemented your idea, now we can boost our name on top of list by spending more connects

Gaurav S wrote:

upwork implemented your idea, now we can boost our name on top of list by spending more connects

Right. No limit on them, though, so you need to dig deep to play. 

hglewis
Community Member

I've decided to spend 124.5 connects to hire a freelancer to fire "off-platform" clients who make excuses about why they can't pay for services rendered.

You will receive 62.25 connects if your profile shows you do fire clients.

But first, you must do a free test firing that confirms you do fire clients.

If you are successful, then you will receive the remaining 62.25 connects upon a verified firing.

If you'd like further details about the firing, please provide 124.5 connects to be considered for the position.

Yeah, it's one of those days! 😜

lf I could see just one job in my feed that I thought was worth applying for, I would add a few more connects. But recently, I have not seen one that is worth even one connect. Unless, of course, I could drag my sorry ass out of bed to  apply for, and then work (if I were to be chosen) on a 60,000-word thesis for $50. 

Oh, I  nearly forgot. I was invited to one job (entry level - wowser!) to write Amazon reviews on products that I would have to pay for but with 'guaranteed reimbursement' and the added bonus of 'no remuneration'  - added as an afterthought by the client.  

I declined the job and reported it. It didn't get taken down ... 

chesco85
Community Member

Six years later, your suggestion is adopted!!!!
Latest Articles
Learning Paths