cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technology is so F****** AWESOME!

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
1 of 3

So here I am in the middle of nowhere thinking I'd die without internet and guess what! Internet!!!

I was expecting to see indigenous people with no access to mobile phones and computers but instead see people with cellphones (only the chief's family though). There's no real internet line but one can always use a mobile phone as a modem and use that for internet. No electricity though so bummer but hey, at least they have a generator and all sots of adaptors so yey!

It's soooo weird to meet people who have no idea what contraceptive pills are and never been to a hospital or seen a real doctor but knows what facebook is! Half of them don't have birth certificates either but yup, they know what yahoo and google is as well! 

Technology is so f******* awesome!

This is so surreal...

Should I teach them about oDesk stuff? haha!

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
2 of 3

Engineers are developing smartphones and tablets for people with bad eyesight. The focus is adjusted to the user's vision so the user can read what's on the screen perfectly, without wearing glasses or contact lenses.

The people who are developing this say they are doing it so people in developing countries who  have bad vision but can't get glasses can still use tablets and smartphones. I find it amazing that the same people who have this technology don't have access to basic eye care.

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
3 of 3

wow I didn't know that, thanks for sharing! Smiley Happy

I didn't have internet for more than 24 hrs (the phone lost signal) but hey, just a few years ago this place is as close to stone-age as you can get (with very few exceptions). Now the young kids can read and write, speak English, and they discovered television too (thanks to the generator). It's just so interesting to see a culture (entire tribe) leap thousands of years in a single generations and land with ipads. I'm totally geeking out haha!

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS