🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Tell Us About the Best Independence Day Celeb...
Page options
colleenezzell
Community Member

Tell Us About the Best Independence Day Celebration You Ever Attended

With so many of us planning cook-outs, fireworks displays, and parades, I started thinking about 4th of July celebrations I had planned or attended. I've been around a long time, so I had many to remember, but my favorite had to be a party we attended in Istanbul, Turkey, in 1986.

We took on an assignment in Istanbul in late summer 1985, ane this was our first Independence  Day in the country. As usual at U.S. diplomatic missions overseas, the Consul General  planned a big party, inviting many high level government officials to a formal reception on the grounds of the Consulate. It was hotter than Hades, flies buzzed around the refreshmentt ables, and high heels sunk into the newly-laid turrf..

Afer we had made enough "face time," we said goodbye to the Turkish dignitaries, the Consul General, and our boss, the Chief of the Political Section (who gave us a look that could kill!). Upon arriving home, we found a note that our daughter said had been delivered by a young man with a British accent. We were invited to a casual dinner at the British Consulate. As we were among the newest officers at the U.S. Consulate, we were quite suprised, and more than a little pleased.

So off came the necktie and the pantyhose and on went the shorts and sneakers! We arrived at the British Consulate only to be greeted by a huge banner proclaiming "ALL IS FORGIVEN! COME HOME!"

We were then fed all the staples of a U.S. 4th of July celebratory cook-out - hamburgers, hot dogs, spare ribs, corn on the cob, potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans and watermelon. The British CG opened his tennis court and swimming pool for us, showed a first-run movie the their theater, and we all (about 50 of us!) finally headed for home at about 2:00 am on July 5.

After that incredibly generous gesture on the part of the Brits,  I was ready to "go home." (I'm 1/4 Englsih so it wouldn't have been a big jump.)

Now tell us about your favorite party!

3 REPLIES 3
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Spoiler
What a great story!  I recall my brother telling me about celebrations at the American Embassy in Moscow in 1961 or 62 and in Somalia in the 70's but I didn't attend.  My favorites have always been Midwestern, with parades, watermelons and fireworks.

Colleen, what a GREAT story and memory.  I've always loved being able to spend time in Turkey and had my ex-Brit husband had half the sense of humour your British cohorts did ... he might not be an ex.

Thanks for my Friday morning smile and 'feel good about the world' moment.

lysis10
Community Member

I gotta stop hanging out with rednecks cuz I'm hungover *again* and I gotta go on some phone call and listen to people tell me all the things I've done wrong. Send HALP.

How professional is it to just say "hey bros you talk and I'll just be drooling in my mic and  listen to the recording later when I sober up."

That's my story.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths