🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Terms of Use
Page options
magicse
Community Member

Terms of Use

Hello everyone, I wanted to discuss an item 4.1 EXAMPLES OF PROHIBITED USES OF THE SITE from Terms of Use - https://www.upwork.com/legal#terms-of-use

I think that the term "DeepFake" should be replaced with just "Fake", because "DeepFake" is just artificial intelligence technology.
And it is used in everyday life, for example, virtual assistants, creating live portraits from old photographs of ancestors like "Deep Nostalgi", and etc.

"DeepFake" is just a tool. It's like a knife, which in good hands makes salads, food or something tasty, and in bad hands it makes something illegal.

Thinking in this way, you can say the same about Photoshop. In good hands it creates works of art and in bad hands it creates something illegal. Maybe I'm wrong.

And what do you think about that?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
magicse
Community Member

I think I found the answer. The AI prefix is simply added.

For example, automatic coloring of black and white images is AI Colorize.

Or face recognition - AI face recognition, and etc.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
colettelewis
Community Member

Serg K wrote:

Hello everyone, I wanted to discuss an item 4.1 EXAMPLES OF PROHIBITED USES OF THE SITE from Terms of Use - https://www.upwork.com/legal#terms-of-use

I think that the term "DeepFake" should be replaced with just "Fake", because "DeepFake" is just artificial intelligence technology.
And it is used in everyday life, for example, virtual assistants, creating live portraits from old photographs of ancestors like "Deep Nostalgi", and etc.

"DeepFake" is just a tool. It's like a knife, which in good hands makes salads, food or something tasty, and in bad hands it makes something illegal.

Thinking in this way, you can say the same about Photoshop. In good hands it creates works of art and in bad hands it creates something illegal. Maybe I'm wrong.

And what do you think about that?

I think in terms of creating fake profiles, photos and portfolios, it is acceptable. however it should be written as one word -- deepfake -- and without capitals unless starting a sentence. Clearly Upwork doesn't believe in proofreaders or Merriam Webster. 

While on the subject: It really wouldn't surprise me if nobody ever read the ToS again. The font is simply terrible - small and so stretched out it hurts the eyes. This at least should have been left untouched by the marketing goblins.  

As I understand it, "deepfake" is a specific term used to describe the process of creating deliberately misleading materials, often for the purpose of framing someone for something that they didn't do, such as putting an image of a politician into a photo with a sex worker. It's not at all the same as restoring an old photograph or airbrushing a facial scar in Photoshop to make someone look better.

I found this definition

"DeepFake" - an image synthesis technology based on artificial intelligence and used to replace elements of an image with the desired images.

And this information from wiki - "Deepfake technology has been developed by researchers at academic institutions beginning in the 1990s, and later by amateurs in online communities. More recently the methods have been adopted by industry."

For example "tm DeeP Nostalgi" based on the same technology and used for genealogy researchers.

What do you think about smart filters in Photoshop that allow you to manipulate faces?

The main question is what is the name of this technology if not the "Deep Fake"?

The term "Deep Learning" does not quite fit because it covers too wide a range of uses (voice synthesis, voice recognition, face recognition, face synthesis, image restoration, video restoration, automatic colorization of black and white images or video, detailed image scaling, etc. ).

Don't you just love it when the ToS are changed just to cause even more confusion? I am still waiting for the day when scamming becomes a ToS violation.

I'm just curious what the real name of the technology is?

It's like physics.
The common name is physics, and sections are
1 Classic mechanics
2 Electromagnetism
3 Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics
4 Quantum mechanics
5 Theory of relativity

It's the same with deep learning - it's a general name, but what about the subsections?

magicse
Community Member

I think I found the answer. The AI prefix is simply added.

For example, automatic coloring of black and white images is AI Colorize.

Or face recognition - AI face recognition, and etc.

You made up the problem, and then solved it heroically.

I'm really happy for you 🙂

Thank You Aleksandr Smiley Very Happy

Latest Articles
Learning Paths