🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: The Forums
Page options
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

The Forums

1.  The extra character is still there when you try to search a freelancer's profile.  Still. There.

2.  The date order is completely screwed  up.  New threads are mixed in with threads that ended in 2019.  Time warp?

13 REPLIES 13
kfarnell
Community Member

2.  I've noticed that if someone reads an old post and adds kudos, that bounces it back up the list. Presumably, that applies to any activity on a thread.

Maybe it's the added kudos because no one has responded to some of the threads for years.

2a05aa63
Community Member

The issue is that new posts don't go to the end. They are added after the replied message. Makes it's very hard to understand what is going on.

Viacheslav K wrote:

The issue is that new posts don't go to the end. They are added after the replied message. Makes it's very hard to understand what is going on.

In the settings you can choose, whether messages are sorted by time, or they have tree-like structure. The latter is default, which is very weird. Normal message boards do show a message tree, like on reddit.

I don't know, whether this board engine is developed from scratch, or an existing was taken, but it's just awful. The worst message board in the internet.

Aleksandr S wrote:

Viacheslav K wrote:

In the settings you can choose, whether messages are sorted by time, or they have tree-like structure. The latter is default, which is very weird. Normal message boards do show a message tree, like on reddit.

I don't know, whether this board engine is developed from scratch, or an existing was taken, but it's just awful. The worst message board in the internet.

Oh wow! Thanks, found the option.
Yeah, the engine is very bad.
For anyone wanting it: Linear Format > Oldest first 

Viacheslav K wrote:

Aleksandr S wrote:

Viacheslav K wrote:

Oh wow! Thanks, found the option.
Yeah, the engine is very bad.
For anyone wanting it: Linear Format > Oldest first 

You need another important piece of information. Even after you've selected Oldest First as your default, the forum will only show threads in that order if you're logged in to the forum. And the forum has a very short login memory,  so I have to log in every time I use it. Fortunately I don't have to enter my credentials every time, just click on the LOGIN button on the menu bar. And if I stop using the forum for about 10-20 minutes (I'm not sure how long) I get logged out. And then the posts get shown in semi-random order until I realise what's happened and log in again. Crazy.

Yup.  That extra underscore is still there if you try to access a profile from the forums.  It's been over a month.  Also, I too am continually logged out even though I've flagged "Keep me logged in".  And then when I do log in from the forum, it takes me to "Find Work", not back to the forum.  Annoying, no?

Mary W wrote:

Yup.  That extra underscore is still there if you try to access a profile from the forums.  It's been over a month.  Also, I too am continually logged out even though I've flagged "Keep me logged in".  And then when I do log in from the forum, it takes me to "Find Work", not back to the forum.  Annoying, no?

Weird. I remember I was able to see others' profiles a couple of days ago. And now I can't too. Or it was just a dream?

Probably, need to clear my cache and cookies. And if that doesn't work use another browser.

Aleksandr S wrote:

Mary W wrote:

Weird. I remember I was able to see others' profiles a couple of days ago. And now I can't too. Or it was just a dream?

Probably, need to clear my cache and cookies. And if that doesn't work use another browser.

It currently only works if the freelancer has a Plus plan and a customized URL.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Mary and Kim,

Older threads may get bumped up either when Community members post a new comment on them or when moderators merge a newer comment to an older thread about the same topic. We may also occasionally move an older thread we come across to a different section where it fits better thematically. If you're referring to something else, could you please share one of the threads you're referring to. Additionally, as Aleksandr mentioned, the order of the posts on the thread will also depend on how you sort them. I personally sort them from Newest to Oldest.

That all said, we are planning some upgrades to the Community this year and are working with the vendor that provides the Community platform (Aleksandr, the platform IS provided by a third-party vendor.) Those upgrades should fix the issue with the extra character in the profile links as well as address your concerns with the order of posts and threaded view.

~ Valeria
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Mary W wrote:

1.  The extra character is still there when you try to search a freelancer's profile.  Still. There.

2.  The date order is completely screwed  up.  New threads are mixed in with threads that ended in 2019.  Time warp?

Yeah, it's annoying. Even more so for the multitude of people who's profiles I don't look up nowadays, them missing out on all the real helpful advice I'm known for. Shame. 

rverang
Community Member

Mary W wrote:

It took a month and a half but it looks like Upwork has finally fixed the issue. 

2a05aa63
Community Member

Renante V wrote:

Mary W wrote:

It took a month and a half but it looks like Upwork has finally fixed the issue. 

kinda fixed. The URLs still have the _ but get removed when hitting the profile page.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths