Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The International Strange Client Day

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
11 of 78

@Jennifer M wrote:

There is a thread in blackhatworld about Upwork and clients complaining about fake profiles. It's probably a lot worse than we see. I'm glad they are working hard here not to let it turn into F-bomb.

Ah, and I was thinking people just become really annoying with those calls. I rejected few interviews lately because my spoken English s**ks. I sound like a Russian, and I can't schedule anything, but those people must think now how my profile is fake. Ugh.

12 of 78

My minimum price to consider a contract that requires me to appear on Skype is WAY higher than for those that allow me to maintain my blissful, pajama-clad solitude. 

Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
13 of 78

@Jennifer M wrote:

@LOL @ $2 job.

@LOL @ Indian. Get it together India. Mannn, you guys have screwed up your reputation royally.

I won't be too optimistic about that. The population is too huge for the numbers game to turn out favorably for Indians. 

Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
14 of 78

I just received a message back from the client who confused times. No apology, just "well, we could try again". 

Fighting the urge to write that I am withdrawing my application because my mother taught me to apologize when I've been in the wrong, and I expect the same courtesy from other adults.

//Well, I wrote to the client that I found the way they reacted to their own mistake educational and that based on it, I do not believe we will be able to build a good working relationship. Then I wished them all the best in finding freelancers that suit their purpose, and I withdrew my application.

Adults that cannot admit when they have been wrong and/or do not know how to apologize really tick me off.

Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
15 of 78

Hanna,

I get those strange "clients" as well. Mine usually message me to ask whether I'm available to do a translation, I answer "yes" and ask about the size of the project/number of words and deadlines, and then ... nothing. LOL. Or rather not at all LOL. Don't these people have any sense of politeness. It only takes one more short message saying something like "Thanks, but I've found someone else".

Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
16 of 78

Alexandra, I've noticed that lately as well. I was recently invited to bid on a couple of fixed-price translation projects, which I did. On both of them, at the end of my proposal, I wrote something like

"Please note that to draft an accurate quote for you, I would need to review the files to confirm their length and what type of content I would be dealing with. I would also like to discuss the deadline with you."

Unless, of course, they have mentioned that translation would be through some online program... But then again, the clients that use POEditor, OneSky or translation.io seem to always give all the necessary information anyway.

These are the only type of projects I've lost to someone else lately... And from what I can tell, it's to freelancers that agree to do the translations for some lump sum without even seeing the text first or knowing how long it is. It is slightly maddening, as I feel that if a client was happy with a newbie taking on the project, by inviting me they have wasted my time.

Léa P Member Since: Dec 16, 2015
17 of 78

Hi!

I have to tell you about my strange client who always want me to translate to German. I'm French and I know three words in German, and one of them is "potatoe salad". I always tell him I'm sorry I don't speak German, he always tells me but your countries are so close, could'nt you just give it your best shot?

NOPE. Kartoffelsalat to you.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
18 of 78

@Léa P wrote:

Hi!

I have to tell you about my strange client who always want me to translate to German. I'm French and I know three words in German, and one of them is "potatoe salad". I always tell him I'm sorry I don't speak German, he always tells me but your countries are so close, could'nt you just give it your best shot?

lol 

Community Leader
Loredana B Member Since: Feb 26, 2016
19 of 78

@Léa P wrote:
I always tell him I'm sorry I don't speak German, he always tells me but your countries are so close, could'nt you just give it your best shot?

Well... I read a comment on the Interwebz the other day that was even better than that: apparently some people think that "Europeans should speak all the languages on the continent because their countries are close to each other".

I don't even. I mean. Wow. Man Indifferent

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
20 of 78

@Loredana B wrote:

Well... I read a comment on the Interwebz the other day that was even better than that: apparently some people think that "Europeans should speak all the languages on the continent because their countries are close to each other".

I don't even. I mean. Wow. Man Indifferent

They still haven't given up on Esperanto. But a quick look at Wiki made me think I will probably not try to learn it:

How are you? = Kiel vi fartas

I am well. = mi fartas bone

Smiley Very Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS