Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The International Strange Client Day

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
31 of 78

"They are not needed, 'bitte' is enough!"

Does a German in an English pub ask for "a pint of bitter, bitte"?

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
32 of 78

I had a client who wanted me to chat to him on Skype about his book on lovemaking, it was a bit awkward, but he wasn't strange as such. Another time a client asked for my phone number so his boss could thank me in person. I don't seem to attract many weirdos really, at least not after the first few months.

Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
33 of 78

My clients aren't really anything compared to the people I used to attract when I worked as a karaoke host. There's nothing quite like a drunken Finnish (gentle)man twice your age who uses the pick-up line "Guess how many elks I've killed this year?"

Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
34 of 78

Ramon wrote:

Another time a client asked for my phone number so his boss could thank me in person.

And we won't ask how the conversation went - at least for today...Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Maria Marilyn M Member Since: Oct 27, 2010
35 of 78

The strangest I've ever encountered was years ago when I was just starting on this site. The client was too demanding and wants me to be online almost 24/7 or if not, reply within an hour or so. He also asked for my Facebook account and wanted to communicate there. At that time, I was very hesitant to show any personal social media profile and offered other options like Skype or YM to communicate or even create a work based social network account. He declined and posted a nasty feedback after ending the contract right after. Good thing there was zero hours paid yet so it didn't affect my score back then. Well, if it was now, I'd be happy to add him on Facebook since I rarely use the profile for personal reasons these days; it's mostly for work. 

Cindy K Member Since: Apr 10, 2016
36 of 78

I had an overdue payment from a client out of Upwork. He wrote me a cheque and sent me a snapshot of it through Whatsapp. After about 2 weeks and still no signs of the payment/check being cleared, I asked about it. This was his response: 

The check still with me……hahahahaha…….do you need that urgent? 

Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
37 of 78

@Cindy K wrote:

I had an overdue payment from a client out of Upwork. He wrote me a cheque and sent me a snapshot of it through Whatsapp. After about 2 weeks and still no signs of the payment/check being cleared, I asked about it. This was his response: 

Why did you accept payment outside of Upwork? It is against Terms of Service.  You should have a valid Upwork contract to ensure payments.

Cindy K Member Since: Apr 10, 2016
38 of 78

@Ashish K wrote:

@Cindy K wrote:

Why did you accept payment outside of Upwork? It is against Terms of Service.  You should have a valid Upwork contract to ensure payments.

Ah, this was a feelance job I took on outside and not something listed on Upwork. In fact, the client was a friend of a friend.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
39 of 78

I'm not wild about SKype (or, in my case, more often Google Hangouts) and think it's generally a waste of time unless there are reasons for screen sharing, etc...but, if that's what the client wants, I don't mind it. However, I also don't make the concessions to my routine that others have mentioned. If I'm dressed for work and in my office, that's what they get. If I'm working from home that day, it's a crapshoot. They may get a messy pony tail and pajamas. They'll definitely get barking dogs. I let them know in advance that I'm at home and conditions may not be optimal and if they prefer, we can communicate another way.

I realize this goes against every bit of career/business advice anyone on the planet has ever given (and I've probably given Preston a heart attack), but it's been working for me for a lot of years. I prefer to develop long-term relationships with clients who are more concerned with quality of work, reliability and ethical conduct than trappings.

Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
40 of 78

Ashish, remember that there is work (and life) outside of UpWork as well. Smiley Wink

Tiffany, that, essentially, is what I want as well. To be completely honest, even when I worked at the brick & mortar world, I rarely put on make-up or did anything with my hair, even though I worked in customer service and as a sales assistant. I considered my outfit complete when I smiled. Smiley Happy I like to wear comfortable clothes and only really doll up for special events, Halloween and job interviews... So I do not get along with people that judge books by their covers in general. 

My partner's not loving this, though... I had a busy week with freelancing, and when I didn't change out of pajamas for the third day in a row, he asked me if I'm ever putting on real clothes again. Smiley Very Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS