Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The International Strange Client Day

Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
41 of 78

@Hanna N wrote:

Ashish, remember that there is work (and life) outside of UpWork as well. Smiley Wink

I understand. Had a little misunderstanding about what 'Out of upwork' meant. I thought it meant through Upwork, rather than 'Outside of Upwork'.

I never have video calls on Skype, not even Facetime with family. Thats just how I am.

Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
42 of 78

I bid on a translation job marked as "delivery ASAP" (I know, I know, I had connects to spare). The client just contacted me at 12 AM my time, apparently 2 AM his time (not that I'm judging, except that I don't think he's actually where he says he is). Told me he needs the file translated in the next 15 hours. I say ok... Can I see the file?

So he sends me an Excel with two tabs; the first one has 1146 lines and columns until the letter L, and the other tab had 4000+ rows (although a lot of them seemed to have about the same content).

Client offers 70€. Says to give more importance to two of the columns, and says that accuracy and cohesion in translations are very important.

I tell the client that there is no way for me to translate this in 15 hours and that I would also charge way more than what he is offering.

The client asks how much it would be just for two of the columns.

I say that even with only two columns, that's still over 2000 lines in total. I also point out that the translations he already has in the file are full of spelling mistakes.

The client starts to explain that he had already hired someone on an hourly basis and that's why he can't pay more, and that this translator did have full 10 days and then she fell ill, and that's why there's a rush now. 

I compose a nice message saying that I understand his predicament and I'm sorry that has happened to him, but I am not comfortable offering sub-par quality and I can't deliver quality in this timeframe.

Client notes that I know my own ability the best, and then says that he's been able to translate similar files in 2 days, but that it's ok and that he'll contact me later with similar assignments and wishes me good night.

I wish him good night as well and then I realize why his name is so familiar... It's the guy that always bids on the same jobs as I do on that other freelancing website.

LOL!

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
43 of 78

Got an invite yesterday. I asked about deadline. His response was he'll hire today. 

He came back today and asked for quote. I asked again about deadline. He told me 3 PM and it was 11 AM at that time already. Suprised I said it leaves me only four hours. He came back later at 3 PM to attach his file. I asked about deadline for the third time. He tells me 3 PM was deadline for him to hire. Deadline for the project is Monday.

Doesn't it seem fishy to avoid to tell the deadline? Was he counting on me accepting the job in despair and working under pressure to squeeze in three hours what needs seven hours?

44 of 78

Vesna:

The prospective client you describe was going about this entirely the wrong way.

If a client has a hard deadline, such as a deadline a few hours away, then he should NOT try to hire a freelancer while avoiding discussing the deadline. The deadline is the main issue here.

As a client, if I have a hard deadline later in the day, I will make that VERY clear in my job posting. I will state the date and time of the deadline.

I will hire multiple freelancers using an hourly contract. I will make it clear that when the deadline arrives, the project is over.

This will separate out the freelancers who WANT to work on a fast, short-turnaround project, from those who don't.

Sarah F Member Since: Apr 1, 2017
45 of 78

Worst client I ever had was a Skype-abuser. He insisted on talking to me constantly. I honestly can't remember what came of that contract or if I even completed it; he started getting flirty and then crossed the line into sexual harassment. I was a lot younger; now I'd immediately terminate the contract and report him to Upwork; then I think I just told him his constant messaging was interfering with my ability to do the work, and he finally backed off.

Since then, anything that requires Skype contact I steer clear of. Upwork has a perfectly adequate messaging system; unless the project absolutely demands it I stay within that.

Community Guru
46 of 78

I don't give Skype anymore because they expect you to be 24/7 online. If you get a message, and appear online, and don't answer, they'll take offense and downvote rating for communication and availability. Which is a total apsurd.

That might happen with messages on Upwork now as well. I wish there's an option to shut off green light, because sometimes I read message from my Kindle and don't intend to respond until I see the materials from my computer. 

47 of 78

My Skype is turned off at all times unless I KNOW someone wants me there. Appointment only. My clients are aware of that and if they want to speak to me on Skype they message me or email me or contact me on Slack or send a carrier pigeon or smoke signals and make such an appointment. The rest of the time my Skype is not active.

Community Guru
Vince D Member Since: Feb 18, 2016
48 of 78

I agree with Petra. I don't run Skype unless I need to for a client. I find it distracting enough sometimes with clients communicating via phone, texts and email. Why add another distraction. Clients will generally call or text if the want to use Skype to share their screens to show me a problem.

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai
Community Guru
49 of 78

I received an invitation for a lunch yesterday. When is it going the first flight for USA?

50 of 78

@Vesna M wrote:

I received an invitation for a lunch yesterday. When is it going the first flight for USA?

Ask him to send you an air ticket first. Se how serious he is :-)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS