cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The International Strange Client Day

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
61 of 78

How to rate a client who is kind, even gives generous bonuses sometimes, but is extremely tiresome to work with, projects prolonged/revised for infinite time amount, they are all alterations of first project, eventually you end up just as a technical help and no creativity because all design ideas come from client. I repeat, he seems as a kind person. Though, having a look at his job history there were work in same time scale with other freelancers (200+ hours), who gave him all words of praise, yet he gave some of them not that great rating. I always wondered how do you decide to keep someone working with you for so long while being dissatisfied?

I have two weeks for this dilemma, but he already gave me another offer. Huh I need money, some bills just sky rocketed this month, but working for him drains my energy away and kills my motivation. Btw, he's probably weirdest client so far.

62 of 78

That's a true pickle, Vesna!

How large are the upcoming bills...?

Community Guru
63 of 78

Not that much, but budget is tight for next few months, and I'll have to cut somewhere. Options are running out and earning more to cover this seems unlikely.

64 of 78

I chose to end this. And I chose to be 100% honest this time. I came to conclusion I have 50:50 chance of getting bad rating. Usually I don't care and give five stars even if experience was not five stars, just in case client would come back and give more work. This time such practice just didn't serve purpose.

65 of 78

Not strange but I don't know word how you call this...

I've sensed it I might have trouble with him so I insisted on very clear agreement on scope of work during interview, which I usually don't do. Twice. I asked twice is it going to be x, x and x. He said yes, then he tried to squeeze some more work into this milestone, and I said no because it's time consuming, so we agreed it's going to be just this and for the next thing he will release some more money.

Yesterday he mentioned that thing again, how I should do this before this milestone gets final. I said he needs to increase weekly limit. No response to that, just him repeating the very same thing like we had some noise in communication channel before that. Unbeliavable.

66 of 78

@Vesna M wrote:

Not strange but I don't know word how you call this...

I've sensed it I might have trouble with him so I insisted on very clear agreement on scope of work during interview, which I usually don't do. Twice. I asked twice is it going to be x, x and x. He said yes, then he tried to squeeze some more work into this milestone, and I said no because it's time consuming, so we agreed it's going to be just this and for the next thing he will release some more money.

Yesterday he mentioned that thing again, how I should do this before this milestone gets final. I said he needs to increase weekly limit. No response to that, just him repeating the very same thing like we had some noise in communication channel before that. Unbeliavable.

lol I really think some people go into things thinking they will railroad you regardless of what they agree to. I don't pull the sexist card, but I do think sometimes in my industry some of the IT bros see "girl" and think "stupid broad that will do whatever I say." It usually comes in the form of a bait and switch. I'm pretty good at seeing it, but sometimes they slip through.

Even though phone calls for what I do are a complete WOT, they do make it easier to identify the losers by talking to them. I'd say the last 5 phone calls have been people trying to get free work or trying to bait and switch me.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
67 of 78

Vesna, managing scope creep is one of the most important skills a freelancer can learn.

My advice is to always be polite, but that doesn't mean letting people take advantage of you.

If you were at a restaurant and ordered steak, you would not be able to say:

"You know what would go great with this? Apple pie. Can I get a slice of pie for free?"

You are a business! Don't forget it. You're not a charity,

If a client doesn't respect the scope of a fixed-price contract COMPLETELY, then only work with him using hourly contracts.

If an hourly client gives you only a few hours per week to work, then STOP when the time is up. You can continue your work when the new week starts and you are able to bill time again.

Community Guru
68 of 78

I got some funny invite and I asked him is $20 a placeholder bid, and response follows:

"a $20 for writing a short word document is better than writing your whole story on a cover page and get nothing at the end :smile:"

Adorable. Heart

69 of 78

I'm going through a patch that I could name Finickiness Abound. It's mentally exhausting. 

Community Guru
70 of 78

This is super odd start of a job post...

"starting off the conversation with “Yes goats drink cow pee”

I continued reading, and it's just getting more bizarre.

Yeah, lots of caps lock.

Hahah, see this: "YOU MUST BE BY YOUR COMPUTER AT ALL TIMES WHEN YOU ARE WORKING ... If you want food, i don’t care."

Many crazy requirements, like "Prepare to be watched."

and they have 5 to 10 proposals already. I feel sorry.

In my five year long career on Upwork, this is the pure top one pearl of craziest among crazy job posts.