cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The Plight of a Brown Freelancer (with decent writing & a higher rate)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
21 of 30

Quote: **bleep**! I did not know that existed. Me and IL went to college together and found freelancing together and I guess at that time we made the account on Upwork and on freelancer and were hardly aware of the norms and rules so we would work together and everything. This is I think some 7-8 years ago... Should I somehow delete this other profile on freelancer? I don't even remember the login details.

I don't get it. How can you delete someone else's profile?

What do you mean "we made the account" ? Your English is pretty good, aside from frequent misspellings/typos and minor errors and oddly formal sentence constructions typical of a non-native speaker, so I would not expect you to use the plural first person ("we") to refer to yourself.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Drew D Member Since: Feb 18, 2020
22 of 30

You seem to have also mistakenly listed under "my testimonials" on your profile, a testimonial that was left explicitly for your colleague IT: "The best part is that, once you hire her, she will be there for you always, making edits in the documents even at the oddest of times"

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Drew D Member Since: Feb 18, 2020
23 of 30

Drew D wrote:

You seem to have also mistakenly listed under "my testimonials" on your profile, a testimonial that was left explicitly for your colleague IT: "The best part is that, once you hire her, she will be there for you always, making edits in the documents even at the oddest of times"

I see you have now deleted that section. Good idea. However, the majority of your currently listed portfolio items are also, by your own admission, not written by you, but your colleague IT. 

You claimed: "Clients will always first see my country which will open the floodgates of bad experiences probably."

It's quite likely, actually, that prospective clients are being put off by your constantly claiming someone else's work as your own. Prospective clients do read your reviews, as well as your portfolio pieces, and will be picking up the same things we are. 

From now on, I suggest you always market your services based on your own work, rather than that of others. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
24 of 30

Ayushi V wrote:

**bleep**. This is years old!

Jamie F wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

OP, someone keeps spelling your name wrong on your profile feedback.

Doh!

And here's somebody else under the 'other' name with much of the same pitch from her profile. 
https://www.freelancer.com/u/i**bleep**alohani 

**bleep**! I did not know that existed. Me and IL went to college together and found freelancing together and I guess at that time we made the account on Upwork and on freelancer and were hardly aware of the norms and rules so we would work together and everything. This is I think some 7-8 years ago. Since then, she has quit freelancing mostly and gone on to work full time with an organization. But do you think this can be a problem? Should I somehow delete this other profile on freelancer? I don't even remember the login details.

Clearly more than one person used your upwork profile. This is disappointing. You know that can get you suspended in a snap, right?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Kishor P Member Since: Jun 14, 2016
25 of 30

Its her/his choice if a client wants to work with native english speaker. If you are good then nothing can stop you. In past i had worked with clients from USA, UK, Ireland, Germany, Belgium and Poland.

This has nothing to Brown freelancer.

Another upwork member said that your profile was much better. So, i just want to guess how your earlier profile would look like. Because in just first and brief glance at your profile, one could spot grammatical mistakes in first few lines....

Certified Nutritionist and Published Health Writer
                                (I would use Accomplished instead of Published)

8 years of experience as a Nutritionist and Health Writer ('is') here to help you expand your business, reach and revenue

(I guess correct one is below)

A Nutritionist & Health writer with 8+ years of expience is here to help you.........

Highlighted
Ayushi V Member Since: May 9, 2016
26 of 30

Kishor P wrote:

8 years of experience as a Nutritionist and Health Writer ('is') here to help you expand your business, reach and revenue

(I guess correct one is below)

A Nutritionist & Health writer with 8+ years of expience is here to help you.........

Thanks Kishore for pointing this out. I would have never noticed! This is majorly a typo. I forgot to put the 'I'm' in front of here.

And about your guessing as to how my profile looked earlier, it was just an added line in place of the one you just corrected about how I will not work for cheap simply due to my location. As I said, my intense morning and a nit bit of frustration with a client or two lead me to just pour myself out there.

I don't really agree with the part that it has nothing to do with the color of the skin here. Everything, everytime has something to do with race, color, identities. I believe we humans are steroetypers fundamentally somewhere. We like seeing things in flocks and groups and fail to recognize the individual subjectivity.

And seeing from a different perspective here, I have also worked with clients from US, UK, France, Russia, Australia and NZ. That is not the point here. The point is that I am being made aware of my location and my color in a particular way that many do not have to be. There are many shades to this sort of discrimination. One cannot see it as linearly as a matter of pure choice.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Zeeshan M Member Since: Apr 30, 2020
27 of 30

I don't really agree with the part that it has nothing to do with the color of the skin here. Everything, everytime has something to do with race, color, identities. I believe we humans are steroetypers fundamentally somewhere. We like seeing things in flocks and groups and fail to recognize the individual subjectivity.

Perhaps Rumi will cheer you up. Smiley Happy Rumi “What can I do, Muslims? I do not know myself.
I am neither Christian nor Jew, neither Magian nor Muslim,
I am not from east or west, not from land or sea,
not from the shafts of nature nor from the spheres of the firmament,
not of the earth, not of water, not of air, not of fire.
I am not from the highest heaven, not from this world,
not from existence, not from being.
I am not from India, not from China, not from Bulgar, not from Saqsin,
not from the realm of the two Iraqs, not from the land of Khurasan.
I am not from the world, not from beyond,
not from heaven and not from hell.
I am not from Adam, not from Eve, not from paradise and not from Ridwan.
My place is placeless, my trace is traceless,
no body, no soul, I am from the soul of souls.
I have chased out duality, lived the two worlds as one.
One I seek, one I know, one I see, one I call.
He is the first, he is the last, he is the outer, he is the inner.
Beyond He and He is I know no other.
I am drunk from the cup of love, the two worlds have escaped me.
I have no concern but carouse and rapture.
If one day in my life I spend a moment without you
from that hour and that time I would repent my life.
If one day I am given a moment in solitude with you
I will trample the two worlds underfoot and dance forever.
O Sun of Tabriz, I am so tipsy here in this world,
I have no tale to tell but tipsiness and rapture.”

― Jelalludin Rumi

____
Write like you're a death row inmate and the governor is out of the country and there's no chance for a pardon.
Highlighted
Ayushi V Member Since: May 9, 2016
28 of 30

Zeeshan! Rumi is love.
and his message is priceless!

Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
29 of 30

Ayushi V wrote:

I don't really agree with the part that it has nothing to do with the color of the skin here. Everything, everytime has something to do with race, color, identities.

Janean made a great remark "oddly formal sentence constructions typical of a non-native speaker" ... this is one of the main reasons a native is preferred over a non-native when it comes about writing.

Clients might be willing to pay US freelancers higher rates because they believe that education and living costs are much higher compared to other countries.

I saw once some statistics .... the average hourly rate on Upwork under the writing category was somewhere in between 15-25 USD. There are freelancers from different countries that charge much more but the rates depend mostly on the targeted market, education, working experience, marketing skills.

You might see some "wild" rates here on Upwork but you must take also in consideration the fact that in the US the federal minimum hourly rate is 7.25 USD ... charging 30$/hour is a good pay for a US freelancer in some small county ... as a non-native you have to offer something above what an average US freelancer offers for the same rate ... it's not about where you come from, it's about the value of the work for the same rate.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
30 of 30

Hi All,

This thread has been closed from further replies. Please check out Community Guidelines and make sure your posts don't include personal attacks and public accusations of misconduct. 

Thank you. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS