cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Unintended Consequences of being the Featured Contributor

Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
1 of 23

I have no idea who decided I should be the December Featured Contributor, but as soon as I find out I'll write a check to find a cure.

All month I have been getting private messages from Third World freelancers asking me to solve problems that are in the province of customer service. Today's message was a simple and easy issue that only CS can resolve, but he related to me that multiple messages have gone unanswered. The others got an explanation that I'm not an employee and the freelancer should contact customer support. This fellow had aleady tried that.

I used the support bot to submit his issue myself. I'll keep the community posted on whether CS keeps its record intact for excellence in avoiding service to customers.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 23

Bill, what you're calling an 'unintended consequence' is an unpublicized perk for achieving Featured Contributor recognition. Cat Wink

3 of 23

@Bill H wrote:

All month I have been getting private messages from Third World freelancers asking me to solve problems

Welcome to my world...

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
4 of 23

Bill, tell the bot to "please un-perk" you.  

Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
5 of 23

Petra, I get requests for help or advice maybe every six weeks, but three (or maybe four, my memory isn't as good as it once was) in a month is a new record.

Wendy, I got a "Dear Occupant" message from customer support asking me for more details. You've got to be kidding. An inability to understand "Freelancer XYZ can't remember his security question and has received no replies to multiple messages to CS; please contact him" is worse than the new Rep. from the Bronx who, when asked how to pay for something, says 'just use the trillions in accounting plugs from the Defense Department.' It kind of falls into "Price of Entry to your chosen profession."

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 23

I just tell them I'm really terrible and lazy and have no idea what I'm doing. You know, all true things.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 23

@Bill H wrote:

Petra, I get requests for help or advice maybe every six weeks, but three (or maybe four, my memory isn't as good as it once was) in a month is a new record.

Yeah, try 3-7 a week... and some are actualy really rude Smiley Sad

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 23

Bill, I've never been featured freelancer, and that has been happening to me for nearly as long as I've been on Upwork.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
9 of 23

@Bill H wrote:

Usually they ask before they knight you. If you have accepted, you did this to yourself :-)

If they didn't ask, it's called community service.  What did the judge say? How long did you get?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 23

I just delete their private messages and don't respond at all.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS