🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: The future seems a whole lot brighter
Page options
ravi_iitian
Community Member

The future seems a whole lot brighter

With the vaccines out and whatnot, the future seems a whole lot brighter!

"Certa bonum certamen"
16 REPLIES 16
lysis10
Community Member

My friend got the super killer version of the virus, so the health department called her and told her she's not allowed to leave the house for 10 days. lol I would have it too but I decided to be boring on NYE and play video games. I lucked out so much lmao

Gimme dat vaccine! Rona is closing in on me!

Jennifer M wrote:

You'll get it a lot earlier than I will (I think).

"Certa bonum certamen"

Ravindra B wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

You'll get it a lot earlier than I will (I think).

I hope so. (Not the part about getting it before you. I mean soooon.)

I'm kinda in that list of healthy and older but not at high risk, so I'm not sure when my turn will be.

Jennifer M wrote:

I hope so. (Not the part about getting it before you. I mean soooon.)

I'm kinda in that list of healthy and older but not at high risk, so I'm not sure when my turn will be.

I didn’t mean to imply you were in the high-risk category.

I just thought both availability and distribution would be speedier in the US than here.

"Certa bonum certamen"

Speed of distribution seems to vary greatly between the states.  Louisiana is over 70, doctors and certain pharmacies giving the shots. Mississippi is over 75, and there are drive-through vaccination locations run by the local hospital.

I'm in a trial, got my second shot yesterday.  No reaction at all, so I may well have gotten the placebo.  

kbadeau
Community Member

Arizona has the highest rate of infection in the world at the moment I believe. I do think the future looks bright, but the immediate future is depressing. I'm longing for the days when I thought 100 cases per day in my town was a lot.

On the bright side (kind of) two good friends had it and one other just got the vaccine so I think it's actually safe to hang out with them now. I'm so sick of myself it's silly.

Everyone is high risk:  The virus is so unpredictable, that just because you are young or younger, does not mean that you will not get it - or die from it. 

OK the above is unlikely. But the young and not-so young  are high risk because they can transmit it without wishing to (perhaps) - but also (perhaps) because they think that if they are immune and so what? And to hell with anyone else so long as they are free to go to their rave parties and thumb their noses at authority?  What these people don't get is that the "authority" is not any given government, but Covid. 

Kelly B wrote:

Arizona has the highest rate of infection in the world at the moment I believe. I do think the future looks bright, but the immediate future is depressing. I'm longing for the days when I thought 100 cases per day in my town was a lot.

On the bright side (kind of) two good friends had it and one other just got the vaccine so I think it's actually safe to hang out with them now. I'm so sick of myself it's silly.

Not to rain on your parade, but the vaccination does not prevent infection or transmission, it just makes the illness much less serious. Also, they don't know yet what level of immunity a person has after they recover or how long it lasts. Just sayin' ... be careful!

I live in a rural county with a population of 10,247. We were one of the first hot spots in Georgia last spring. As of today we've had 863 confirmed cases and 42 deaths. 16 new cases and one death today, nine new cases yesterday. (My neighbor posts the daily public health stats on FB.) I personally know at least two people here who had it but are not counted in the stats because they had it early in the pandemic [Feb/March] and were not tested. (One, previously a 50-year old distance runner, is still suffering long-term effects and was scheduled for cardio tests this week.) I go nowhere unless absolutely necessary and I do 95% of my grocery shopping out of town because the two stores here do nothing -- no sanitization of carts, only some employees wear masks, it's a free-for-all.

That light at the end of the tunnel is still a very long way away.

Phyllis G wrote:

Not to rain on your parade, but the vaccination does not prevent infection or transmission, it just makes the illness much less serious.

Wow. That is news to me.

"Certa bonum certamen"

Phyllis G wrote:

Not to rain on your parade, but the vaccination does not prevent infection or transmission, it just makes the illness much less serious.

That is not actually known (yet)

The above is the worst case scenario, but in general the vaccination does more than that. 

Petra R wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

That is not actually known (yet)

The above is the worst case scenario, but in general the vaccination does more than that. 

My understanding is the best case scenario (for both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines) is 95% effectiveness preventing symptomatic infections after both doses of the vaccine have been administered. The CDC currently estimates that up to 40% of cases are asymptomatic. So, this first wave of vaccines does not represent the kind of silver bullet we are accustomed to with, for instance, the polio vaccine. (Especially true because logistics of distribution and administration are lagging.) It's a huge advance to have effective vaccines at all, at this point. But it seems to me we need to continue taking precautions -- masking and distancing -- for some time to come. 

The advice from the CDC is to continue masking after vaccination or infection.  Things are uncertain at best as to length of immunization and ease of contagion.  Even if it turns out that I got the "real" stuff, I will continue to mask for as long as it takes.

Thank you, Ravendra, for posting this. The fact that first infection to first administered vaccine was under one year is a miracle. The messenger RNA vaccines are my choice for many reasons.

Logistics was planned well and executed extremely well. It was always intended to leave final details to the states because every state has unique requirements, geography, demographics, etc, and no one-size-fits-all would work. When states had plans in place things went great. WV, with the country's poorest transporation infrastructure, leads the nation in percentage results. It did so by turning over logistics to the National Guard and telling them to coordinate every day with the US Army, the lead logistics agency. It worked. South Dakota divided the state into thirds, contacted the three largest medical providers in the state and assigned one to each, and told them to go shoot people. SD is secod in the country. Every state was asked where to deliver how many doses, and given guidance on how to run their in-state logistics. New York, New Jersey and California were so unprepared they've had to destroy doses.

We are shipping vaccines to the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of Palau, and the Northern Mariana Islands. All are administering vaccines.

We've always known that the toughest part of the job is logistics. The second-toughest is manufacturing mRNA vaccines. They're difficult to manufacture and few places have the infrastructure to do it. You can't turn a pots and pans factory into an mRNA vaccine factory. We committed to buying hundreds of millions of doses early based on which were most likely to be effective, fewest side effects, and avsilable first. Recommendations were sought from scientists, pharmaceutical manufacturing experts and logistics experts on which to back, and the experts got it right. Some of that is luck, some is following science, engineering and process.

All 7.X billion of us want vaccines. We paid to create them and to manufcture them, so we went first. Other countries have paid to create and manufacture vaccines (UK, Russia, China and a couple of others) and went first as well. We are limited to existing manufacturing capability, so we have to compete with the rest of the world. As noted above, we're already serving parts of the rest of the world.

Local problems have resulted from the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, such as the appointment scheduling island started scheduling appointments for four hours before the shot-in-the-arm islsnd opened. Some problems have arisen with various constituencies competing to go early on the list, without regard to CDC guidance. Constituencies then pressure politicians to favor them. None of this has anything to do with either Operation Warp Speed or logistics. If your state is failing you, vote for a different governor next time.

I can explain most of the science and logistics if anyone's interested. I'm not pushing to get the vaccine for myself, I expet to be dead from other causes shortly.

Mask, stay outdoors when possible, wash hands frequently, and use social distancing when possible. The last one is a bit doubtful, because indoors mist from a sneeze or cough can remain airborne for several hours, and you have no idea when walking into a room whether 94 people stepped inside to sneeze in the last two hours.

Young children typically get mild cases, display few to no symptoms, and are not known to spread the disease widely. The elderly, on the other hand, catch the virus easiily, are most at-risk for serious complications, and should be quarantined. Giving grandma a great big hug may literally be the last thing you do for, or to, her.

But, this is also about the times the vaccine gets to us, specially who don't live in the United States. furthermore when you are at the tail of the priority list, but, in my case i have my wedding in risk of being rescheduled again due to the covid-19 crisis.

Until most people on earth have been vaccinated, we won't be able to go back to "normal living".

People living in privileged countries won't be able to travel to less privileged countries because they'll still risk getting infected. This is a wonderful example of the need for solidarity between countries.

Irony. Now loving means not to hug. And prexautions can be deemed as dislove.
Latest Articles
Learning Paths