cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The most controversial question ever...

Community Leader
Pankaj K Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
1 of 12

Have you ever faced any kind of racial discrimination here?

Forums and platforms are prone to one kind of discrimination or the other since there are huge number of people involved across gender, race, region & religion. Although most of us may not face any such "issues" at all, yet there might be a tiny-weeny number that might have found something "fishy". Even a client might be knowingly/unknowingly practising "racial profiling", you never know. 

I do not intend to offend anyone, sorry if I sounded that way. This is just to "let the cat out of the bag" and I hope I've not "hit a hornet's nest".  Just for gossips sake, since we're in the Coffee Break!

Community Leader
William M Member Since: Feb 10, 2015
2 of 12

@Pankaj K wrote:

Have you ever faced any kind of racial discrimination here?

Not that I know of.

I applaud your excellent use of cliches though. Now that the horse has left the barn, there's no point in crying over spilled milk - it's just water under the bridge.

Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
3 of 12

Pricing seems to be that "racial profiling" on freelance sites.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
4 of 12

Well on Elance, a Japanese client kept going back and forth interviewing me for an editing job, because he refused to believe that I am a native English speaker (because of either my location or race).

I showed him my degree certificate and Duolingo test results that prove my language skills; not to mention that there was great feedback on my profile for similar jobs. After wasting a lot of my time, asking me to edit a sample text for free (that's my fault, I should not have agreed), and stating that he was going to award me the job, he finally decided to go with a white person from the U.S.

Now I'm not 100% sure that had anything to do with race or location - that other person could have easily been a better editor than me.

Needless to say, when this client later contacted me for another editing job, I told him to bugger off in a nice way.

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
5 of 12

Mind you, so have I! I blame my father for naming me after the largely-unknown 1966 England World Cup winner Ramon Wilson! Smiley Very Happy

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
6 of 12

"Mind you, so have I! I blame my father for naming me after the largely-unknown 1966 England World Cup winner Ramon Wilson!"

Could have been worse, Ramon. He could have named you after that Stiles bloke at number 2  Man Wink

Spoiler
For the non-UK majority, Nobby (Norbert) Stiles....

Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
BEST ANSWER
7 of 12

My "direct" competition is american, male, 35+ ... its not really a racial thing but if I notice such trend in the hiring history I have a second thought about submitting a proposal.

P.S. Underbidders excluded from profiling

KAREN S Member Since: Jun 7, 2019
8 of 12

Yes.  A month ago I was asked if I was a "woman of color" during an Upwork Phone Interview.  I got the job after being pushed to reduce the Fixed Price by half.  She accepted and started the contract, yet she will not allow me contact her via Upwork Message Board, load work files completed, or to complete the job.  I contacted Upwork, who told me they would ONLY speak with my lawyer.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 12

Hi Karen,

Sorry to hear you experienced unfair treatment by a client. Please, feel free to share any details in your ticket here including the name of the client or contract you are referring to. Once we have more information we'll escalate it to the team for a review. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
KAREN S Member Since: Jun 7, 2019
10 of 12
I DID reach out to Upwork earlier in the week and was told that they would be happy to discuss ONLYwith my attorney.  Never asked for further details, the client or the contract.
Why would I share further details with you?  What would be the point?
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS