🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: The point of required message when accept...
Page options
mariouranjek
Community Member

The point of required message when accepting offers

I'm curious if other people find this unnecessary too.

I usually discuss the whole project briefly with the client, he/she sends the offer, I accept it and we start working.

So what is the point of the required message when accepting that offer?

I already said and asked everything I had on my mind up to that point and I just need a simple button to accept the offer. I end up just adding a simple dot in the required field and clicking accept. What messages do you guys add when accepting offers?

Yup I'm bored and waiting for a client to respond to the files I sent over.

14 REPLIES 14
robin_hyman
Community Member

I always write, "Thank you for the opportunity". 

The client just awarded you the project.  Show some appreciation in the hopes this is a successful venture.  I wouldn't leave it empty.  

I'm not sure if I see it that way. The client made a well calculated decision that I would be the right person for that project and in my experience the best results are achieved when we both collaborate together.

Maybe "Looking forward to working together" would fit better. 

But thanks for the feedback!

lysis10
Community Member

I have no idea if this helps in arbitration, but I use that box to reiterate changes in job scope. The arbiter gets access to the workroom when you go into arbitration. I don't know if he/she has access to the original workroom where you discussed terms. So what I do is repeat anything that changed from the original job discussion, because the arbiter will look at the original job post too. 

My assumption would be that if I said "OK, I'll get you the 500 words in 3 days" in that box versus what is shown in the original job description, then I have proof that we agreed on something different. You could argue that it's unilateral in this case and there is no agreement from the client, but then again if the job continues and the client never says "hol up that's not the right scope" then that would be something the arbiter would question.

Jennifer M wrote:

I have no idea if this helps in arbitration, but I use that box to reiterate changes in job scope.

Omg I've never thought about that, I usually just write "hop hop"

Valerio S wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

I have no idea if this helps in arbitration, but I use that box to reiterate changes in job scope.

Omg I've never thought about that, I usually just write "hop hop"

lol is "hop hop" "whoooop whoooop" is Kiwi? 🙂

I would love to say yes, but I'm afraid is more Italian than Kiwi

That's where I usually share my email and other contact information, explaining that the Upwork platform came be somewhat boggy at times.  Others might not be comfortable with that but I work exclusively with attorneys and it's much easier for them to communicate by email.

jodypm
Community Member

Mario U wrote:

I usually discuss the whole project briefly with the client, he/she sends the offer, I accept it and we start working.

I already said and asked everything I had on my mind up to that point and I just need a simple button to accept the offer. I end up just adding a simple dot in the required field and clicking accept. What messages do you guys add when accepting offers?

Yes, I've often thought that myself. Because at that point, any additional message just seems to be moot. I usually put, "Looking forward to exceeding your expectations", or something along those lines.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Mario U wrote:

I actually like it. It's a nice opportunity to get the project off to a good start and reaffirm the client that he made the right decision. That being said, don't write "I love you" or anything offensive, and you should be fine. 

I usually write "And we're off and running" ... but will utilize Jenn's approach going forward.  It makes sense.

My contact info goes in the project workroom at the same time.

Interesting, I typically write something bland, however I will consider Jennifer's approach as a "safety net" of sorts..

Chalk me up in the "Thank you" column. And then I usually say something specific about the project so they don't feel like they hired a bot.

Thank you, name of the client!

But Jenny's idea is great and I will use it from now on, if it's needed in case of changes.

I use "I'm on it." and then a variation of Jenn's method.

I have been through three disputes on UpWork.  I won all three.

I strongly suspect, this helped. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths