Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: The rate debate

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
61 of 73

@Daniel C wrote:

No, I'm not going back. I'm planning on going back to community college to take courses that interest me, but I'm not really interested in getting a degree.

 

 

 

I just made a few really huge mistakes, and have had terrible luck. You live and you learn! Heart


 If you don't care about credits, there is a lot of really good content available for free online. For example, MIT has a huge number of full courses publicly available--everything but the grade.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
62 of 73

Tiffany, years ago I was lucky enough to work with someone much like you describe and under very similar circumstances. These often rare and always amazing relationships are built over a period of time and based on mutual respect, admiration, and basic human kindness.  

 

I'm pretty sure at least some of you have long-term clients that you've become are close to as people - superseding merely a biz relationship.  However, that is not the goal you have when building the relationship. Business is business; the rest may or may not come about.

 

Giving a discounted rate to a client who spends nicely and regularly is not the issue; nor is bidding lower than normal because you sincerely care about one particular job.  In many ways the former is nothing more than intelligent marketing and wise selling.

 

What is not smart is pricing yourself too low - esp. when viewed in the light of what your product is worth to the client.  (Thank you, David, for that article)

 

I'm not saying you are underpricing yourself - my comment is general and directed to all.

 

 

 

 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
63 of 73

Wendy, I agree with all that. I was responding specifically to Reinier's positioning of community and caring for one's family as competing rather than cooperating constructs.

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
64 of 73

@Tiffany S wrote:

Wendy, I agree with all that. I was responding specifically to Reinier's positioning of community and caring for one's family as competing rather than cooperating constructs.


 Tiffany, your experience with that client puts a different perspective on what rate to charge in some circumstances, but until something similar happens to me, I will always see my sense of community and the needs of my family as competing constructs.

 

However, clients like the one you describe are a breed apart, and this particular client deserves the top spot on the Client's Roll of Honor. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The problem with silver linings is that they always come with dark clouds attached - RB
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
65 of 73

@Reinier B wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

Wendy, I agree with all that. I was responding specifically to Reinier's positioning of community and caring for one's family as competing rather than cooperating constructs.


 Tiffany, your experience with that client puts a different perspective on what rate to charge in some circumstances, but until something similar happens to me, I will always see my sense of community and the needs of my family as competing constructs.

 

However, clients like the one you describe are a breed apart, and this particular client deserves the top spot on the Client's Roll of Honor. 


 And it probably never will, because that type of relationship is a two-way street. Which is fine, if you're comfortable with your outlook and it's working for you. But, it's not the only option.

Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
66 of 73

@Wendy C wrote:

 

What is not smart is pricing yourself too low - esp. when viewed in the light of what your product is worth to the client.  (Thank you, David, for that article)

 

I'm not saying you are underpricing yourself - my comment is general and directed to all.

 

 --------------

 

I agree with your statement and business expertise but "too low" is as subjective as "too expensive" so it's difficult to judge a person's rate.

Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
67 of 73

-

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
68 of 73

I actually hope they start taxing businesses to outsource, but I think that will get all political and I promised Vlad I'll be good. 0:-)

 

I don't find, though, that lower income people are my competitors but I also have the advantage of being a native speaker. I would think programming might be more difficult to compete, but my first and only programming job on Elance was from a guy who wanted to keep it local. I wayyyy underbid on that project though. Not on purpose.. I just didn't estimate time accurately.

Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
69 of 73

Tiffany,

 

That example is outstanding and really does offer another perspective for why we charge different rates sometimes.  I'm glad you were willing to share this, as I think it's given everyone a chance to sit back and think about how circumstances and events affect our way of viewing everything.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
70 of 73

FREE online classes; in some cases there is a fee for certification.  I have taken classes via both and they are great. Covers all areas of interest

 

Coursera:  https://www.coursera.org/

EdX: https://www.edx.org/

 

 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS