Re: The rate debate

Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
51 of 73

-

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
52 of 73

You're one of my favorites here, Daniel. You're going to do just fine! I think you got the right idea -- take classes that interest you. I loved some of my classes especially biochemistry and the bio classes that specialized like immunology, virology and genetics. Had a crush on my genetics professor. lol Unfortunately, most of my professors complained about being broke and money makes me happy and I wasn't about to be broke for a profession.

I graduated with a Bachelors in Biological Sciences. I was 2 labs from getting one in Chemistry too because I took a bunch of chem classes that I didn't need but wanted to take. Decided to just graduate though. It was a good decision because I would have had to take them one per semester, so a whole year. I was working with Demand Media at the time, and 6 months after I graduated, they died and got rid of a ton of writers, me included. I jumped back into the workforce to get it together before going back into freelancing again.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
53 of 73

Jennifer,

I have to say thank you for this.  You just gave me that little shove I needed to look into classes.  While they may not be writing related classes, I had considered going back to school for a while and kept giving myself that "you're too darn old for that" down-talk that tends to go through people's heads.  We're relocating in about two months, but I'm sitting here researching classes at the community college located in the same town we're relocating to because of your post.  Kudos for tripping the trigger of a very stubborn old farm kid.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Community Guru
54 of 73

College is awesome. Like I said, if I was independently wealthy and didn't need to work, I'd be like that beautiful mind guy and sit at a college campus all day long taking random classes for poops and giggles.

I thought about IT cert classes for poops and giggles but I'm not paying thousands of dollars for a cert that won't get me anywhere and I have to retake in a few years.

Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
55 of 73

That is entirely understandable.  I had debated on Business Management and a few other basics that may serve to boost my own work.  Blog and article writing is all fine and well, and to be honest I do enjoy it, but I want more.  Not sure how to put that exactly.  It's a feeling that I simply do not have an articulation for so I hope it makes sense.

It sounds like we both have the same general view on education.  I simply love to learn new things, be it a new writing style or a new training method that can help with different horses' personalities (less hitting the ground is GREAT!).  I have to admit, though, I'm far more nervous about going back to school than I am about hopping up on a green horse.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Community Guru
56 of 73

@Kathryn B wrote:

That is entirely understandable.  I had debated on Business Management and a few other basics that may serve to boost my own work.  Blog and article writing is all fine and well, and to be honest I do enjoy it, but I want more.  Not sure how to put that exactly.  It's a feeling that I simply do not have an articulation for so I hope it makes sense.

It sounds like we both have the same general view on education.  I simply love to learn new things, be it a new writing style or a new training method that can help with different horses' personalities (less hitting the ground is GREAT!).  I have to admit, though, I'm far more nervous about going back to school than I am about hopping up on a green horse.

I felt a little weird when I went back because I was an older student, but then I met a few people like me. Even dated one of them. lol 

Hardest things about going back:

A) Taking too many classes and forgetting that labs are a lot of time and effort. My Org Chem II lab took 4 hours for the class and about 2 hours prep work before the class.

B) Not knowing the campus.

C) Being nervous during the first day

D) Getting used to professors and admins treating you like you're an irresponsible 18 year old kid.

E) Getting used to kids teaching you cuz they know the subject better from high school

F) Feeling old as dirt as you sit there in a sea of 20 year olds

G) Realizing omg books are expensive so make sure you shop early to get used books

H) Knowing the ropes... like my school had grade forgiveness for 2 classes where they would wipe the grades. I didn't learn this until chatting with a class mate.

I) Finding the "good" professors. You won't know until word of mouth when you make friends with the 18 year olds lol

Community Guru
57 of 73

-

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
58 of 73

@Daniel C wrote:

@Jennifer M wrote:

Daniel, I was the opposite as you. I was already working in development after I programmed something that I then showed to employers as my "experience." Got lucky and the owner of a startup liked it and it was probably the best job ever. 

I went to college working full time too but took a major I was interested in and thought was cool. Then got fired and took out loans. It sucked. The only thing that kept me going was I refused to pay back loans with no degree. lol Another issue I had was working full time meant very few classes every semester, so it took me forever to graduate. Freelancing actually gave me the extra time so I could finally finish.

Have you thought of going back? Programming is one of the rare areas where you don't need a degree but it helps a lot. Many managers have a degree and lots of times an MBA, so they like to see it from their schleppers. lol. I even worked for a CIO who was a lawyer.

Operations, though, they don't care much about a degree but like certifications. Operations people are a lot cooler IME.

No, I'm not going back. I'm planning on going back to community college to take courses that interest me, but I'm not really interested in getting a degree.

I was working full-time and taking 20+ units over summer semesters. If they didn't cut classes due to the recession, then I would have graduated. A class that was a prerequisite for another class was offered once per year, and it overlapped with other classes that I needed to take. It was going to take 2 years to finish 10 units.

I wasn't going to college for computer science. So it would be a ton of work to get a CS degree. Actually I was majoring in Operations Management and Information Systems. 

Honestly though, 6 of the units was a work program to give you experience, and the other 4 were worthless requirements. I completed all of the classes that mattered to me.

What did you major in? Computer Science or something else?

My business is positioned to take off in the next few months. I just have to find time and money to invest into it. It's going to be enough to replace my income and afford to hire some help. I have a really big plan to grow the company really quickly after that.

I just made a few really huge mistakes, and have had terrible luck. You live and you learn! Heart

You have a bonsai tree. That tree is a message. Go to bonsai groups/classes. You will never regret it. Your life will radically change. Just do it.

Community Guru
59 of 73

@Nichola L wrote:

You have a bonsai tree. That tree is a message. Go to bonsai groups/classes. You will never regret it. Your life will radically change. Just do it.

That sounds interesting... I never heard of bonsai tree groups. 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
60 of 73

@Daniel C wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

That sounds interesting... I never heard of bonsai tree groups. 

http://www.sandiegobonsaiclub.com/

For a little starter inspiration: http://www.bonsaiempire.com/blog/5th-usnational

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS