Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The rate debate

Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
21 of 73

@Rene K wrote:

Interesting topic.

I have only one question: why would someone charge 1 cent per word if they can charge ten times more? More generally, why wouldn't one up their rates to their own ceiling. Which is the limit after which they earn less money than before?

Wouldn't you guys agree that all this discussion boils down to this simple equation?

Good question.  Here is an example:

A new client was interviewing me about some work needed for a new blog.  They had a great backbone for the blog but needed content edited and improved a bit.  I was immediately interested in helping them make some corrections and improve things but felt absolutely no desire to charge much because I was more concerned with giving someone new a bit of help getting started out.  

The work I did and advice I gave I would normally have charged upwards of $125 for.  I barely charged them 1/5 of that, because I truly enjoyed just helping them figure it out and to be honest it did not take much effort at all.

Sometimes it is not what we charge that provides the greatest reward, but the knowledge we have helped someone to improve and move forward successfully.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
22 of 73

@Kathryn B wrote:

(...)

The work I did and advice I gave I would normally have charged upwards of $125 for.  I barely charged them 1/5 of that, because I truly enjoyed just helping them figure it out (...)

OK, so we're talking about a hobby, not about a profession. I too have hobbies.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
23 of 73

-

Community Guru
24 of 73

Wendy C, Lisa B, and Tiffany S - All good points.

As it was said, time, quality, research, living costs are all factors.  And yes, I think it's true that many think that no one WILL offer them more for their work.  Whether their perception is right or wrong is a moot point.  The fact that they believe it is what matters there.  Those individuals could certainly benefit from a pep talk.

One thing I see mentioned a bit here is mentoring.  For those that do it, huge kudos to you.  For those like Tiffany who simply want to see everyone do BETTER, huge kudos to you.  That kind of spirit is great and is the reason some freelancers come to the forums asking for advice.

Everyone so far -  Thank you, because I'm happy to see everyone actually discussing this.  I don't know about the rest of you, but it certainly gives me a chance to look at things from another person's shoes.

Jennifer M - I haven't missed you out.  I'm just still debating on how I want to reply.  Your points are interesting and have had me thinking most of the day.  Not a bored housewife btw, though this is my second form of income at this time.  The high cost of living where I am simply would not allow me to quit working outside of UpWork, though I fully intend to once we relocate.  Two-earner home in an area where even two incomes are usually not enough.  Again, I'll come back to your post, as I want to give it a fair amount of thought.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
25 of 73

Taking a poll - 'cos I'm curious and it really is relevant to the topic.

How many of you mentor privately - starting with a PM rather than posting in a thread?

How many of you use the subject thread, make comments and suggestions and leave it at that?

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
26 of 73

@Wendy C wrote:

How many of you mentor privately - starting with a PM rather than posting in a thread?

How many of you use the subject thread, make comments and suggestions and leave it at that?

I typically won't initiate a PM unless I have something to say that might make the other person uncomfortable if I pointed it out in public. But, if someone PMs me after I comment in a thread or just PMs me out of the blue, I will help that way if it's in my area of expertise.

Currently in the real world, I'm working with a young woman who waitresses at the diner where I sometimes work and asked me as if it was a joke whether I could teach her to do what I did.

Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
27 of 73

-

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
28 of 73

@Wendy C wrote:

I've done it a few times, but my last, I am pleased to say is now top-rated, and getting more than me - I must learn to take my own advice! Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
29 of 73

@Kathryn B wrote:

The high cost of living where I am simply would not allow me to quit working outside of UpWork, though I fully intend to once we relocate.  Two-earner home in an area where even two incomes are usually not enough.  Again, I'll come back to your post, as I want to give it a fair amount of thought.

Crap.

I came so close to making it out of here with a "to each his own" outlook, but look what you've gone and said!

I don't know how much money you make in your day job, and maybe it's huge, but most of the years I homeschooled my daughter I freelanced 20-25 hours a week. That was our only source of income, and we went to concerts and live theater and visited the ocean every other year, and my daughter had a voice coach and musical instruments and I had an $800 dog.

Maybe it just isn't what you want to do right now, but does it not seem possible that if you did want to freelance full time, you could adjust the way you bid and choose jobs and earn as much as you do working full time? Now that my daughter is grown and I'm freelancing full time, I'm making significantly more than I did in my last full time job.

Community Guru
30 of 73

That is the end-goal Tiffany.  I plan to freelance full time after we relocate, as I'm simply getting too darn old to be fighting with horses day after day, no matter how much I make doing so (quite a bit actually but still not worth being in pain every morning).  For right now this income provides a needed boost, as this area's cost of living is based on the gold mining industry and my husband is not one of the miners.  Thus the two (four actually between two of us) income home just to afford a decent living standard (with zero frills other than sports for the kids).

Wendy - Very good question!  I'll shush for now so you can get some answers to that, as I agree it is very relevant to the subject at hand!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS