🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: The universe is funny...
Page options
a_lipsey
Community Member

The universe is funny...

I was in conversations with two potential new clients here on UpWork that seemed like it was about 95% sure. Then today I find they are both going in different directions, but may contact me in the future. And, of course, I left the door open with them to contact me should they need my help. They were great people to meet, doing great work, and I'd love to support them. But was also kind of laughing at myself because I wasn't sure I could actually have capacity for both. 

Then when they both pulled, I was a little down because, while offline business is great, I did have a space to fill...not an hour later was a previous client emailing me (not a client on UpWork, they came to me through a referral offline, just to be clear) asking me if I could help them on a project that needs to be completed in 8 weeks. And I'm full up again. 

Other than the universe is funny, my point is also: pick good clients and you'll be working together a long time. Don't skip the due diligence and vetting. Repeat business will keep you afloat! 

And here's a dog for your pleasure. 

20190125_130704.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
lysis10
Community Member

I get a little down too if I really wanted the gig. I don't really want too many gigs, so luckily this doesn't happen much.

Clients are like boys. Only good for one thing. Not the same thing, though.

LOL!!! "not the same thing though". 

a_lipsey
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

I get a little down too if I really wanted the gig. I don't really want too many gigs, so luckily this doesn't happen much.

Clients are like boys. Only good for one thing. Not the same thing, though.

Yeah, sometimes I decide I'm going to stretch myself a bit and make space for something that seems really interesting and has some newness for me.  I still can't seem to land an animal shelter in my portfolio, even if I discount my rate. It's strangely elusive even though I am a shelter volunteer and foster animals with behavioral problems to help rehab them for adoption. Oh well. I guess I'll have to work with the client paying my full rate. Lol. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths