🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » There should probably be a rework of the foru...
Page options
varungs
Community Member

There should probably be a rework of the forum titles

I'm somehow a Community Guru after making a few posts on here and after spending a few months on Upwork. Since it's the highest rated title, I feel like newbies on the forum may take advice from Community Gurus more seriously. Personally, I don't feel like a Guru at all, and I'm still new to both Upwork and the forum. I think it's a little misleading to hand out titles based on activity levels and/or post counts.

I'd like to suggest that the highest title be harder to achieve. Here are some possible ways of doing this:

• Make it so that one must have at least 25 solutions
  • Add a minimum solution percentage (solutions divided by total posts should not drop below a certain level, for example, 5%)
  • Make titles expire after 24-30 months of inactivity (to prevent a user from using outdated knowledge)

I don't know, just something I was thinking about. 

20 REPLIES 20
colettelewis
Community Member

I'd like to do away with titles completely. 

Still it's better than some. Many years ago, I was on another site and there they gave you hats. "Gurus" had "wizard" hats. I can't remember all the different ones, but there were student's caps and mortar boards etc. Ghastly! 

Nichola L. wrote:

Still it's better than some. Many years ago, I was on another site and there they gave you hats. "Gurus" had "wizard" hats. I can't remember all the different ones, but there were student's caps and mortar boards etc. Ghastly! 

Oh, I don't know. A dunce cap could be handy. Cat Wink

I want them to keep the titles because it's so funny when someone throws out an insult about gurus on the forum. haha I love the SEETHE.

Nichola L wrote:

PLEASE don't give Upwork any ideas like this!

florydev
Community Member

There is only one title that truly matters...FEATCON.

lysis10
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

The one that rules us all.

Mark F wrote:

So it seems you retired immediately after earning the honor. What's with this sitting on 30 measly solutions, sir? We expect more from a FEATCON. 

Martina P wrote:

Mark F wrote:

So it seems you retired immediately after earning the honor. What's with this sitting on 30 measly solutions, sir? We expect more from a FEATCON. 

He used us for votes and now that he is ruler he just wants to poop post. I can't really hate on that game. It was pretty well played.

Jennifer M wrote:

He used us for votes and now that he is ruler he just wants to poop post. I can't really hate on that game. It was pretty well played.

I didn't vote for him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtYU87QNjPw

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

I didn't vote for him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtYU87QNjPw

lmao there are so many Monty Python skits that work so well for this forum.

I’ve been busy performing all my duties...opening shopping malls and such.
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Varun and others,

Thanks for bringing this up. We'll discuss this with the team and while I don't think we'll get rid of the ranks completely, we'll see if we could change the criteria required to earn the ranks. 

Nichola,

Hats you say... Interesting...Robot wink

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Varun and others,

Thanks for bringing this up. We'll discuss this with the team and while I don't think we'll get rid of the ranks completely, we'll see if we could change the criteria required to earn the ranks. 

Nichola,

Valeria  - don't do it! 

Thank you Valeria, I appreciate the response

Valeria K wrote:

I don't think we'll get rid of the ranks completely,

Other than Upwork official personnel, why do we need ranks? I'm a total idiot and yet Upwork calls me a Guru. I don't even have followers. Well unless you count Randall and Will, the two hobos down the street, but they are just as drunk as I am.

#GetRidOfRanks

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

I've been asking for the official troll rank for years and they just ignore me. Rude!

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Varun and others,

Nichola,

I know when I first started I thought the gurus were official Upwork representatives. So maybe mods should say Upwork Moderator where the rest of us could be something that at least makes intuitive sense to n00bs, like New Community Member to Senior Community Member or something like that.

We could have: 

Forum poster

Frequent forum poster

Annoying forum poster

Annoyingly frequent forum poster

Forum whiner

Annoyingly frequent forum whiner

Annoying forum advisor

Annoyingly frequent forum advisor

Veteran forum posters who know best

Veteran forum posters who always know best

Veteran forum posters who are never annoying except to annoyingly frequent forum whiners

And so it goes ... 

And then, there are quite simply: Forum posters, some of whom do know considerably more than others. But they could be called "Upwork's Helpful Helpers" - which would pretty well guarantee "Guru" absenteeism. 

All this off the top of my head suggestions. 

I think I had better take my temperature ... 

Nichola L wrote:

We could have: 

Forum poster

Frequent forum poster

Annoying forum poster

Annoyingly frequent forum poster

Forum whiner

Annoyingly frequent forum whiner

Annoying forum advisor

Annoyingly frequent forum advisor

Veteran forum posters who know best

Veteran forum posters who always know best

Veteran forum posters who are never annoying except to annoyingly frequent forum whiners

And so it goes ... 

And then, there are quite simply: Forum posters, some of whom do know considerably more than others. But they could be called "Upwork's Helpful Helpers" - which would pretty well guarantee "Guru" absenteeism. 

All this off the top of my head suggestions. 

I think I had better take my temperature ... 

These are great.

I'll take any one of the annoying ones if I STILL can't have "Official Upwork Troll."

Kelly B wrote:

I know when I first started I thought the gurus were official Upwork representatives. 

Which is what everyone thinks. And this is detrimental to Upwork's brand. Like, imagine me representing Upwork. Lol. Seriously?

But no, that's okay with them.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Latest Articles
Learning Paths