Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things to Do When Out of Work and Saving Last Few Connects for a Good Job

Ace Contributor
Dharmveer S Member Since: Jun 29, 2015
21 of 23

@ Beth

I am New Here and I liked your list. it is useful source becuase i know tht one day i will be see this. Keep Posting.

Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
22 of 23

This never applies to me as I always have an abundance of connects it seems but...

What I do i general when lacking enough work is:

Try to double the amount I am learning each day or even revising old topics.

Spend a few hours a day playing various educational challenge websites like: Khan Academy, Codecademy, Codewars (they give you free profiles where you can show off your new skills...think of it like zero to HERO...!!), this includes doing all the free courses on Codeschool.   Read wikipedia each day.....example.....look up XKeyscore on wikipedia...lol.  Any person out there can learn to code right in the browser (no other tools needed) on these websites.  English was the language of the 20th century, Code is the language of the 21st century...there is code almost everywhere, in everything made almost.

Find some interesting software projects and then sign up to their developer mailing list (email).  Start some free Coursera courses.  

Stop watching Netflix etc and watch some educational videos like -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMm0HsmOTFI  

The key fact of of all the ramble is -> the more you learn the more you earn.   Which means read as much as you can, somtimes more than once to remember.

Another different thing I like doing is watching the job posts on Upwork (they all mention different skills) and then looking up the said mentioned skills to see what they are (if I haven't already heard of them)

Every day I learn something new (i forget most) but key things are picked up etc that add value in the long run instead of playing first person shooters or WOW etc.

Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
23 of 23

@John :

Stop watching Netflix etc and watch some educational videos like -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMm0HsmOTFI  

The key fact of of all the ramble is -> the more you learn the more you earn.   Which means read as much as you can, somtimes more than once to remember.

Another different thing I like doing is watching the job posts on Upwork (they all mention different skills) and then looking up the said mentioned skills to see what they are (if I haven't already heard of them)

+2 (Kudos)  to you.

Thank you fo rthe heads up.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS