🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » This is a genuine question, and I would like ...
Page options
colettelewis
Community Member

This is a genuine question, and I would like a genuine answer

Just a few hours ago, Upwork allowed a young Russian freelancer to create a profile,  and to almost get stung by a scammer, and  then to come on to the forum with her concerns. 

I am wondering why:

1) In view of recent events that Upwork is not  upholding its recent policy of not  allowing new Russian freelancers to open an account until further notice and not informing those potential  freelancers of these sanctions.

2) That they allow the new account to get as far as being able to bid or to get invited to fraudulent jobs. 

3) That they allow the FL to post about a scam job, when their account appears to be suspended in any case. 

Many people have been caught up in this conflict without being truly aware of the facts. The least Upwork could do is to have an absolutely clear policy from the outset as  to who is allowed to create an account. (at least until the political pressures are eased). What is is happening in the world is bad enough. But surely it is unfair to allow those who are sanctioned to believe that Upwork welcomes all, when this is not the case (for whatever reason - politics, age etc. ). 

I know that this person could have, but didn't, check out how the site works in the first place. But it is also Upwork's responsibility to uphold the governmental rules and regs that they  have to comply with. 

3 REPLIES 3
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Nichola,

Since March 7, Upwork suspended the onboarding of new accounts for clients and freelancers located in Russia or Belarus and starting next week freelancers located in Russia and Belarus will be unavailable and unreachable through the Upwork platform and any existing contracts will be cancelled. 
While I won't be able to discuss a status of another user's account, I'd like to check the case you mention here. Could you please send me a private message with a link to the thread or post you're referring to?

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria, 

I think the post has been removed, but this doesn't mean it didn't exist, or  that the person was still able to open an account. 

ETA: My question was not hypothetical, so I am sure that post is traceable. I am not in a position to do this. 

Putting economic pressure on Russia and Belaru sounds great on paper. But a leader who will attack another country without provocation is hardly going to weep for the economic hardhips imposed on the average citizen. Putin recently said anyone speaking against the war in Ukraine was a traitor. He fully believes, in his self-serving form of logic, that hardship his citizens endure is a form of patriotism. 

That said, it seems that Ukrainian allies who try to punish the average citizens in Russia are simply playing into Putin's hands. He gets to say, "See what those nasty Americans are doing? I told you they hated you. I told you they were the problem. And now they are proving me right."

Latest Articles
Learning Paths