🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: This is what 2.5 Million birds look like....
Page options
petra_r
Community Member

This is what 2.5 Million birds look like...

photos courtesy of my brother.  Bramblings  (migrating finches)    

2.5 Million finches en route to somewhere, currently in South-West Germany. Imagine a biomass of 50 tons of birds.......

finches.jpg

birdies.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
martina_plaschka
Community Member

end of the world scary....

I recently re-watched "The Birds".  Now I'm having flashbacks...Thanks a lot.

Mary W wrote:

Martina wrote:

guys, seriously? cute lil tweety things?

I think it's gorgeous!

But then I think it's so cute when my cats bring me little snakes...

I think it's beautiful, too. I keep trying to imagine the soundtrack, it must've been deafening.

Do your cats kill or just capture? I used to have one who was strictly catch-and-release. She would bring it in through the kitty door and turn it loose. I fixed the door so it would only open outward, and she quickly learned to get it open anyway, even with a live, full-grown squirrel in her mouth (and she was a very petite kitty).

I got very good at catching chipmunks and putting them back outdoors. Once you have it cornered, you can use a yardstick to bully it into running into a large paper bag. Turn the bag upright and the chipmunk will cower in the bottom until you get outside. Doesn't work with squirrels, though. Tip the bag upright and pick it up, and the squirrel will run up your arm before you've gone two steps. Then, mayhem ensues and you have to start all over.

Phyllis G wrote:

I think it's beautiful, too. I keep trying to imagine the soundtrack, it must've been deafening.

Do your cats kill or just capture?

They bring them in alive and usually take them into the shower (perfect arena, being closed on 3 sides) for the "end-game"

If I get there in time I can catch and release.

It does mean I have to be careful in the shower in the summer as occasionally there are escaped lizards / geckos hiding between the sliding doors and a gecko running up your leg first thing in the morning is not good for the blood-pressure.

Petra R wrote:

Mary W wrote:

Martina wrote:

guys, seriously? cute lil tweety things?

I think it's gorgeous!

But then I think it's so cute when my cats bring me little snakes...

yep. That's a different kind of cute. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths