🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Tips -of-the-week | Selling processes and...
Page options
bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Thread about Cars and Boats

- Boomer, who loves ice cream.

26 REPLIES 26
lysis10
Community Member

Yeah, I've rented a little boat before too in the Keys.

Those of us who live in the Keys full-time or part-time put little boats behind boats like a Morgan 34.  We like to take them out into the beautiful ocean on warm, windy days.  It takes and the possibility of being a hater out of us.  Shall we continue this?

Your friend's little sailboat is cute. How did the rental keep up with it though? Or did he let you ride in his boat too?

versailles
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Professional salespeople are trained not to outright lie 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Professional salespeople are trained not to outright lie 

lol I hate buying cars so so sooooooooooooo much. It's not even the sales guy I  hate so much, because I already know what he's about. It's the guy you sign the contract with who tries to upsell you on 3295729034023984 different options, and when you say "no, I don't want anything can I just sign the contract and go?" he just keeps on going for another hour. And then they get mad when I have to pull out my raging See You Next Tuesday because asking nicely doesn't work.

My friend's mom is filthy rich. Not $100,000 in 7 years poseur rich. Filthy rich with a private jet and a real boat. Stupid sales people treat her like crap not knowing how filty rich she is and they lose the sale.

petra_r
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

lol I hate buying cars so so sooooooooooooo much.

I *LOVE* buying cars. I LOVE cars full stop. 

I only buy privately and only made a poor decision once. 

And even that I got away with because it drowned (long story) just before the engine was going to fall apart so someone else's  insurance paid.

lysis10
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

lol I hate buying cars so so sooooooooooooo much.

I *LOVE* buying cars. I LOVE cars full stop. 

I only buy privately and only made a poor decision once. 

And even that I got away with because it drowned (long story) just before the engine was going to fall apart so someone else's  insurance paid.

I love cars too but know nothing about them, so I could never buy private. I'd get so screwed over. lol I hate the dealer experience so much. Not sure about across the pond, but here buying a car can take all day even if you walk into the dealer and say "give me that one." Even if you ask nicely to stop trying to upsell, they keep going. The whole contract portion can take an hour just sitting there saying "no, no no no stop no no." 

Car salesmen treat women like they're idiots and I often get pissed and walk away too just like my friend's mom (except a lot poorer lol)

petra_r
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

Car salesmen treat women like they're idiots and I often get pissed and walk away too just like my friend's mom (except a lot poorer lol)

That's another reason why I'd never buy a new car (that and not liking the idea of losing a quarter of the car's value on the way home... and NEVER having had a car loan....)

I remember way back when I was living outside Windsor and our neighbours were buying a brand new little car every two years and were sooooo proud and there we were with our second hand Porsche and BMW laughing all the way to the bank because over a few years they had paid more than we had and were still driving around in a 944 Turbo and a 5 series....

lysis10
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

That's another reason why I'd never buy a new car (that and not liking the idea of losing a quarter of the car's value on the way home... and NEVER having had a car loan....)

I remember way back when I was living outside Windsor and our neighbours were buying a brand new little car every two years and were sooooo proud and there we were with our second hand Porsche and BMW laughing all the way to the bank because over a few years they had paid more than we had and were still driving around in a 944 Turbo and a 5 series....

I remember reading Steve Jobs used to buy a new Mercedes every 6 months so that he didn't have to put a license plate on it. Some California law where you don't have to pin a license on the car for the first 6 months. Ooooh, to be rich. 😄

I have empathy for those in our profession who sell cars.  To remind everyone: you are a sales person.  You are in the profession of selling.  I can prove it.  You work on 100% commission and no one else is out there hawking your wares.

It must be hard.  They have apartment rents, mortgages to pay, and perhaps aspire to take the once-in-a-while vacation to the Fl Keys and hope to rent more than a small boat.   Their prospective clients come in, probably with a fight-it-out attitude.  They face pressures from online sales.  They face pressures from their sales managers to sell more, and perhaps without the ethics they may hold to heart.

And most, like is in our Upwork profession, work on 100% commission.  We are 100% commissioned salespeople -- just like they are.  Frankly, I could not do that style of selling and admire those who do so elegantly.  And obviously there are outstanding salespeople in the automotive sector. There are outstanding salespeople in every profession.  Upwork is a vastly gentler environment.  The prospects come into our realm not so very armed with spite and spittle and all it takes is good, positive, correct salesmanship to make the most of the opportunity.  As far as car salespeople go.  The good ones - the ethicial ones - the fair ones - the respectful ones...

Are regarded as some of the top talents and shining lights of skill in our profession.  They are trained to bypass the haters.  Haters that are spotted in advance usually get it back.  Perhaps there are bad experiences had, that are now worthy of review.

I drove one car so long that for the last 18 months, I never bought more groceries than I was willing to bring home on the bus, because I swore the next time that car stopped on me, I was gonna leave it beside the road.

Jen, check out Carvana. A friend of mine used them and loved the whole experience. (I tried very hard to use them the last time I bought a car, but the one I was looking for finally became available elsewhere.)

Phyllis G wrote:

I drove one car so long that for the last 18 months, I never bought more groceries than I was willing to bring home on the bus, because I swore the next time that car stopped on me, I was gonna leave it beside the road.

Jen, check out Carvana. A friend of mine used them and loved the whole experience. (I tried very hard to use them the last time I bought a car, but the one I was looking for finally became available elsewhere.)

Thanks for that! 😄 I will have to check it out. My xmas present to myself was paying off my car, but it doesn't take long for me to get car fever. If I could skip the sales step, I would be so happy.

Phyllis G wrote:

I felt that way about my Jaguar, but I'm so **bleep** attached to the acres of polished wood and finest leather that I've always had it repaired again.

I should have given up when the clutch went but nooooo, I just couldn't bring myself to give up on her.

Petra R wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

I felt that way about my Jaguar, but I'm so **bleep** attached to the acres of polished wood and finest leather that I've always had it repaired again.

I should have given up when the clutch went but nooooo, I just couldn't bring myself to give up on her.

One day, she will be worth a fortune. Hang on to her. My dad had a Jag - one of those great big heavy ones (back in the day), but I can still smell the leather and the wood (and his cigars!). 

Nichola L wrote:

One day, she will be worth a fortune. Hang on to her. My dad had a Jag - one of those great big heavy ones (back in the day), but I can still smell the leather and the wood (and his cigars!). 

I know. Nobody does car interiors like the Brits. Much as I adore German engineering, somehow the Germans manage to make wood and leather feel and smell and look like plastic. 

I'd really love an Aston Martin, but couldn't afford one that can still be driven so a Jag is the next best thing.

lysis10
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

I know. Nobody does car interiors like the Brits. Much as I adore German engineering, somehow the Germans manage to make wood and leather feel and smell and look like plastic. 

I'd really love an Aston Martin, but couldn't afford one that can still be driven so a Jag is the next best thing.

I'm a lover of German cars. There are a couple Jag SUVs around here. I don't think I've ever been in a Jag. Now I feel like I need to compare Jag leather with BMW leather. xD  BMWs last foreverrrrr.

I will love cars again when they 100% self-drive. Until then, motorbike it is. Paris is not a car-friendly city...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
petra_r
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

I'm a lover of German cars. There are a couple Jag SUVs around here. I don't think I've ever been in a Jag. Now I feel like I need to compare Jag leather with BMW leather. xD  BMWs last foreverrrrr.

I have been the final owner of several BMWs. Love them. My favourite ever car was a 3.0 CSI that nearly cost me my driving licence for speeding twice.  Many years ago

lysis10
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

I have been the final owner of several BMWs. Love them. My favourite ever car was a 3.0 CSI that nearly cost me my driving licence for speeding twice.  Many years ago

1973_bmw_3-0csi_1570479501628c372fIMG_20190907_185406-940x627

That is sweet looking. 

Jennifer M wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

1973_bmw_3-0csi_1570479501628c372fIMG_20190907_185406-940x627

That is sweet looking. 

My dream is one of those sleek Mercedes, the ones that heat your bum and massage your back ... but I drive a Dacia the workhorse of all Renaults, and I have to say, I LOVE my car. It is a dependable old hack and always passes its MOT tests. (Do they have MOT tests in U.S.?)

Nichola L wrote:

My dream is one of those sleek Mercedes, the ones that heat your bum and massage your back ... but I drive a Dacia the workhorse of all Renaults, and I have to say, I LOVE my car. It is a dependable old hack and always passes its MOT tests. (Do they have MOT tests in U.S.?)

I had to look up MOT test. xD

We have emissions tests. FloriDUH got rid of the requirement, but my new town in Georgia requires it every year to keep your car registered.

Jennifer M wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

I had to look up MOT test. xD

We have emissions tests. FloriDUH got rid of the requirement, but my new town in Georgia requires it every year to keep your car registered.

In France, we get tested for everything. including emissions, every two years. It's called a "contrôle technique" (MOT in UK) and they are quite strict. I usually take my car to my garage to check that everything is still operative, before it takes it's test. 

John B wrote:

Fortunately, I am selling my services, which, to the opinion of my clients, are most surely not used cars. [ ... ]

In the thousands of words you have swamped the forums with, it is still unclear what those services are. But I daresay you wouldn't know the value of less is more. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi all,

Posts and replies about buying boats and cars have been moved to this separate thread in the Coffee Break section. 

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

I recommend a Fountaine Pajot, 38' to 42'. Four cabins, double berth.  Two heads. 

Wide beam cat, it can handle 20 to 25 knot winds will trimmed sails -- with great speed -- yet still cut through the waves.  The GPS and autopilot is so accurate, a waypoint in Key West can be established at the outer channel bouy and the destination point at the outer channel bouy in Houston (Transgulf, about 800 miles) can be reached within 10 meters of variance.  Autopilot does not account for shallow-water oil drilling rigs, just to note.  That was exciting.  

Shallow draw unlike a deeper-keep monohull.  That's a good one to charter.  Bareboating is not recommended unless one has sailed bluewater with a crew of two or three.  The friends are usually interested in doing other things than keeping six-hour watches every 12 hours.  They might be throwing up (lol...).  Real-deal sailing, that one.

There's your dream trip, perhaps.  I hope your shut down in Italy is of minimal disruption to your life.

Dogs that grow up on sailboats and live on the docks have their own special equipment.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths