🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Time to get Married
Page options
sheheryarkazi
Community Member

Time to get Married

Just wanted to share this, and maybe get advice.

So I will be getting married in March finally 😁 with my girlfriend/fiancee. We met in Malaysia, while we were doing our Masters she is from Mexico, and me being from Pakistan, the distance thing was not easy but we kept motivating one another. And once I was back in my country, next to nothing in my account, I got really cool job offers within and outside of my country but I realized if I accept any offer right now - it possibly might clash with the goal of seeing one another and getting married. I took a chance with Upwork, thought to myself why not freelance, within a few months I met some really cool clients who became permanent with me on Upwork, and financially I became strong. 

Now, I am full-time working on Upwork, and this platform has been really good to me.

I will probably take some time off in March, as I have a wedding and in August I plan to travel. I am curious if I take some time off, will it affect my JSS? 

but yea other than that, this was my short story 😅

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

What a great story! Congratulations on both your future marriage and your success on Upwork. Where will you live?

It won't affect your JSS if you take a short time off, but it "could" affect it if you don't plan and communicate it to your clients properly and clients get upset.

You may also see some fluctuations as contracts fall out of your calculation window, which changes the balance of the projects that are still left in the window. But in general, taking a month or two off doesn't hurt.

Good luck and post some wedding pics after the big day!

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
petra_r
Community Member

What a great story! Congratulations on both your future marriage and your success on Upwork. Where will you live?

It won't affect your JSS if you take a short time off, but it "could" affect it if you don't plan and communicate it to your clients properly and clients get upset.

You may also see some fluctuations as contracts fall out of your calculation window, which changes the balance of the projects that are still left in the window. But in general, taking a month or two off doesn't hurt.

Good luck and post some wedding pics after the big day!

Thank you, Petra! 😁 Well, we decided to stay in Pakistan for a while, she wishes to open a cafe here and invest in Dubai. We will travel to Mexico to have a wedding there aswell and see around but who knows where life takes us.

Oh thank you, for this advice - I will start communicating with my clients 

and yes ofcourse I will share wedding pictures here!

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Oh this is sweet! Shame that you didn't meet on upwork, I want to see an upwork wedding where everybody is in green because upwork pays for it 😉 But of course there's a waiting period of 2 years because of all those circumvention rules.... 

Thank you, Martin! haha sadly we didn't meet on Upwork - but being on Upwork really helped me in accomplishing this goal.

I also would be grateful to see a Upwork love story ending up in a wedding!. and with a cake saying Upwork, or at least balloons saying Upwork. About the 2 years wait, well, 2 years of relationship before the great day.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Thanks for sharing your story, Sheheryar! Sounds like you have a year filled with exciting plans ahead of you and I'm so happy to hear freelancing on Upwork is helping you with your goals. 

I can definitely relate. My husband and I are originally from different countries too and I'm familiar with the challenges of the long-distance relationship. And I'm also very greatful for the flexibility of working remotely that made it possible for us to visit each other and made it easier to move. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you Valeria! yes, its not easy but I guess that is the beauty of life, every new struggle in life like a challenge and once you have the patience and consistency to go through these hurdles, and finish those milestones the end reward is always great. 

I am happy to know that remote work it also made easier for you 😊

sullivanliz
Community Member

Lovely to hear your story, Sheheryar! My partner and I are from different countries too and did long distance for over two years, it's a challenge but like you say the rewards are worth it. Here's to you and your fiancée, and the long and happy adventure ahead of you!

Thank you, Liz and I wish you the best as well 😊

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sounds like an exciting plan, Sheheryar!

I'm just here to say congratulations and best wishes to you and your fiancé❤️

~ Avery
Upwork

Thank you for your wishes Avery 😊

lucioric
Community Member

Congratulations!. In my case, I finally could marry with my fiancee last november, after a year and a half of moving the date because of the COVID restrictions. Starting your marital life with projects in Upwork is great for your wallet, and the calm of you and your fiancee (and her parents (although they can make the impossible of nuts saying that you will not have money)). But about the time off you should warn your present and potential clients that you are not available in a certain time range in March, and when such time range starts, you should update your availability in Upwork (unavailable until XXXX). And the same when your trip in August approaches.

Best of luck.

Thank you Lucio, I will definitely do that. 🙂

a_lipsey
Community Member

Mazel tov!

Thank you Amanda 🙂

colettelewis
Community Member

And we would love some pics of your wedding. 

Nichola L wrote:

And we would love some pics of your wedding. 

In fact, we insist on them!

Definitely - in fact, it's a promise, I will upload a picture here. 

Done, Nichola - will post them here 🙂 

7c8f5895
Community Member

Mashallah | May Allah Bless Your Happy Married Life, 

I wish your marriage life will be successful (ing Sha Allah)

Thank you, brother.

aitringo
Community Member

It is such a breath of fresh air to read your story and all the comments.
Seeing all the great people in the community come together in this thread with their big hearts is a real treat for me! The hardest part for me is when I finish reading the last comment.
Keep it up! We don't want this to stop.

Ahh, don't forget the photos, the 1000th one telling you. 😅

All the best wishes in the world 🙏

Inshaa Allah, the real life is just beginning after wedding 😁

God Bless you 🙏

insha'Allah - thank you brother 😊

Latest Articles
Learning Paths