Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Tip of the Week | Don't oversell yourself

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
1 of 20

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." 

I am reminded of this adage many times every single day. I've never lost respect for someone so fast as when they open their mouth to pontificate on subject matter that they know very little about or worse, that they know just a little about and do not realize that this little bit is not even the beginning of a mountain of knowledge they do not have. 

The other half of this really is "you don't know what you don't know."  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 20
Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
3 of 20

This adage is taught in sales training.  The version taught to me:  "Once you win the deal, hush up".  This was covered in my first NCR sales training course, circa1986.

You can cover what is presented in this piece as an early step in the (post-win) Project Start-up Phase -- as an alternative.  There is case to be made in doing so and you most surely have made a specific one.

The only sacrifice is a final check on client viability as the accept project button will have been engaged.

- - -

Do you engage in any processes or dialogs covering Project Close -- early on in your project.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
4 of 20

Amanda L wrote:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." 

I am reminded of this adage many times every single day. I've never lost respect for someone so fast as when they open their mouth to pontificate on subject matter that they know very little about or worse, that they know just a little about and do not realize that this little bit is not even the beginning of a mountain of knowledge they do not have. 

Agree completely. Luckily, a lot of people don't grasp this and it helps us suss out clients we want to avoid!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
5 of 20

No way. I've shut my mouth enough. I will now expose my deep stupidity to the face of the Earth.

Take this IQ>84 people!

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
6 of 20

Do you perhaps any specific tactics that you use.  One cannot merely be silent all of the time.  What do you cover, consistently, in, say, the Project Win and Project Start-up cycles. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
7 of 20

Rene K wrote:

No way. I've shut my mouth enough. I will now expose my deep stupidity to the face of the Earth.

Take this IQ>84 people!

Sometimes, René, I will actually out my own stupidity in an effort to get a client to get out of their own jargon and "obviousing" of what they do and get them to really break down for me their aims, the problem they are studying, and why it's important. Of course, I work with researchers, scientists, and nonprofits, so it may not be the translatable to other fields. I will suggest they pretend like I have never heard of whatever is they are doing or studying and explain it to me in very simplistic terms. That process often gets them to see very clearly and simply what it is they and I need to do. 

So knowing your stupidity and using it to your advantage is different than not knowing your stupidity and blasting it to the masses. Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 20

Amanda L wrote:

shut up and take my money for your course

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 20

I know this is an unusual perspective given that as freelancers we're dependent on our ability to land work, but I've found it best not to make any attempt to sell myself. Even in a job interview, I'm there to find out if it's really a good fit on both sides, and that means not only asking questions and assessing, but also being very WYSIWYG instead of trying to make a positive impression.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
10 of 20

Tiffany S wrote:

I know this is an unusual perspective given that as freelancers we're dependent on our ability to land work, but I've found it best not to make any attempt to sell myself. Even in a job interview, I'm there to find out if it's really a good fit on both sides, and that means not only asking questions and assessing, but also being very WYSIWYG instead of trying to make a positive impression.

Can't resist quoting from my fave piece of literature:

This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Earlier on, he also says,
Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.

Which dovetails nicely with the theme of this thread.