Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tip of the Week | Don't oversell yourself

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
11 of 20

Tiffany S wrote:

I know this is an unusual perspective given that as freelancers we're dependent on our ability to land work, but I've found it best not to make any attempt to sell myself. Even in a job interview, I'm there to find out if it's really a good fit on both sides, and that means not only asking questions and assessing, but also being very WYSIWYG instead of trying to make a positive impression.

I love this and totally agree! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
12 of 20

I kudo this to the 10th degree.   WYSIWYG.

What you sell... is what you get.

John.

Highlighted
Community Guru
13 of 20

I have been in corporate sales for the better part of my twenty-year career.  Professional training to the 10the degree.  Responsible for carrying yearly sales objectives measured in the millions.  Responsible for building up a national sales staff.  Training.  And being held responsible in part for their success.  Among the top on Upwork, in my profession of sales services.

I hate selling.

Good night.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 20

Amanda L wrote:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." 

I can say that in Latin! Do I get extra points?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
15 of 20

I believe Tiffany's words are the primary demarcation between long-term successful FL (biz owners) and all the rest ...

"I'm there to find out if it's really a good fit on both sides, and that means not only asking questions and assessing, but also being very WYSIWYG instead of trying to make a positive impression."

Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 20

Considering the beauty and elegance of the city you live in.  You can say that in Latin and view one of Italy's renown beaches at the same time.

That is not measured in a few points.  That means you won the game.

Highlighted
Community Guru
17 of 20

I have pondered the comments on this thread for the better part of the weekend.  This includes several dialogs with my VP of Listening.  Skipper.  He most surely is a master in exhibiting the behaviors of 'speak less, listen more' which is the theme of this thread.  It is one reason I like him so much.  (lol...)

I find it to be a special responsibility, to issue work that is intended to be thought capital-class.  It would distress me if, one day, for example, a newcomer wrote, "I tried what you recommended, John, and it caused problems or lost me work".  That would be horrific.  One assumes great responsibility in issuing opinions of the depth and specificity I do.

I also have the capability to revise posts, and as they will be used by URL reference for a while to come, to reference and provide information in link to our main forum (associated with problems stated the piece relates to) --  I  have seriously considered modifying the piece according to some of the perceptions fairly expressed.

My choice is to leave it as it stands and continue to recommend the approach of position the Project End, during the Project Win phase (with common sense applied, not every tactic works all the time in every situation).

One of my services is professional sales training.  Companies retain me to actually hire corporate-class salespeople. That is not bragging, or at least I hope it is not construed as such. It is merely a factor and perhaps worth stating. That experience and Upwork experiences indicated in the piece substantiate no changes or reference to the "elephant" tactic.  Big ears, small mouth.

- - -
There are two circumstances I have in mind, that this tactic is designed to address.
- Unviable clients not being spotted at the last time possible.

- A client not understanding just how important the JSS is to us.

I view the risk of 'losing the deal because the mouth remained open' as mitigated by the power of

- Using this tactic to discern at the last possible step - "is this a viable client".  Do they cooperate, do they listen, do they communicate well, do they respond back.

- Using this tactic to preposition a successful Project Close stage.  The importance of this is exceptionally high.

In short, I have pondered your comments deeply.  Notice, I have not responded in arguement until I listened very closely and said very little.

My recommendations stand.  Let me turn a modest cannon of thought your way:

If your prospective client relationship is so weak, as to worry about the risk of having a prospect walk away with this simple tactic, well. Good news.

I am covering how to build steel-weld prospective client relationships next week.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
18 of 20

Amanda L wrote:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." 

And once you have removed all doubt, and yet keep proving it over and over and over again, what would that be called?

I guess good old Freud summed it up as "repetition compulsion": ”Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome?"

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
19 of 20

Petra and Amanda - +1000 kudos!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
20 of 20
I dont know. My first inclination this morning is to call the behavior pathetic. Desperate, maybe?

It's funny how so many people who disagree so often totally agree on one thing.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS