🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Tip-of-the-week | Great English editing ...
Page options
bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Tip-of-the-week | Application Letter Content Development

Hello,

Tip Of the Week | Application Letter Content | Use Building Blocks

Summary
Pre-write and use 'building blocks' of content to build up customized Application Letters.  The assumptions implicit to the use of this technique include:
1. One prefers to field application letters of modest to significant length
2. There are common pieces of information one wishes to install into each Application Letter

Benefits
1. This technique is specifically helpful to ESL freelancers (English as a Second Language). It helps to ensure their Application Letters are stocked with well-written content.
2. This technique allows Application Letters to be developed more rapidly
3. This technique can solve the problem of an Application Letter sounding cookie-cutter in nature.

Writing Approach | Use the "WH Questions"
Develop specific paragraphs (i.e. blocks of content) that provide bodies of information commonly presented in the Application Letter.  I use this conceptual system to categorize potential building block paragraphs.  They are referred to as the WH-questions.

Who am I?
What experience do I have?
What are my credentials?

Why should I be considered?

What is my work ethos and approach?
What are the next steps?
... there are others.

To use these building blocks of content and others:
(1) Write them in advance.  Target the block length for a word count of no more than 40 words.
(2) Edit each content building block carefully.
(3) For those with English-lite skills, I recommend you have them edited.
(4) Use the building blocks of content to build up the 'standard' parts of the Application Letter.
(5) Insert custom-written blocks of content to tailor the response to specific circumstances.

Why this differs from form letters or cookie-cutter responses
1. The Application Letter can be built up with custom choices of which building blocks of content should be included.

2. The sequence in which the building blocks of content can be varied according to need and response circumstances.

3. Use of building block content avoids building Application Letters that present information that is not relevant (a sure give-away that the response is cookie-cutter).
4. The building blocks of content are augmented by custom-written content to further ensure the response is not deemed cookie-cutter.

To conclude

The development of Application Letters is a highly personal process. I do not mean to suggest this technique will be useful or appropriate for everyone to engage in.  Responses to this piece will add value if the respondent focuses on their approaches and preferences for the development of work-winning Application Letters.

15 REPLIES 15
yitwail
Community Member

John B wrote:

(3) Or for those with English-light skills: have them edited

You mean English lite?

(2) and (3) can/should be stand-alone paragraphs custom written.  Depending on one's specific focus and willingness to write WH paragraphs of variety, the others can be pre-written and ADATPED modestly.

A tip from me. In the edit window, click the ABC/check-mark icon in the top bar. It may prove useful.
Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 1.34.01 AM.png

Editing this writing I engage in within this blog:  I take a bye on close-in editing.   I spend at least 30 hours a week on producing IP that is front-line visible.  Mistakes are not acceptable.  This is a stream of consciousness.

You pinged me a bit on this one, however.  My turn to ping back.

My professional editing toolkit includes
MS Spell Checker
Grammarly Professional

Autocrit Professional

- and -
A MS Read Outloud check, as my final hear-the-words-for-real editing step.

Which, to note, for hard-core writing work proposals, I actually highlight in my proposal. 

This blog writing.  Man, I spend at least 30 hours a week putting up words for people that are visible to 100s, 1000s, and for some enterprise websites (for example) are seen by 10s of thousands. Perfection is required and I take even one grammar error of unclever set of words as a total failure.

This is writing-light.

John.

John B wrote:

Grammarly Professional

I do hope you know to not actually rely on its suggestions.

Hello.  Here's a toolkit that can enable improved spelling, grammar, and stylistic English. As is the case with all business tools, how one uses the tool is the primary influencer on how useful the tool becomes.

MS Spell Checker
This can be the first line of defense against spelling errors. I find the custom dictionary facility particular helpful when I am writing for clients that have a unique lexicon.  For example, the custom dictionary can be used to install a client's company name if it has a complex or unnatural spelling.

Grammarly
Many believe the paid version is strong in grammar and sentence-structure editing.  Others call it out as weak.  I view the use of this tool in this frame of reference: 'whisper objections into my ear'.  I particularly appreciate how Grammarly will provide an explanation as to why it believes a mistake has been made. I also appreciate how it provides recommended fixes.  This places me in control of my editing decisions.

Autocrit

Autocrit has grown to encompass a group of tools that are stylistic in focus.  I engage this tool primarily for my fiction writing.  ESL (English as a Second Language) writers may benefit from its readability scoring and grading system that provides a holistic overview of the piece. A specific benefit of this tool is its determination of grade reading level (on the Flesch-Kincade scale). The reading level score can be helpful in structuring writing to its appropriate grade level.  For example, best practices for blog writing are commonly quoted at 8th grade reading levels.  This is a more complex tool to learn than Grammarly.

The MS Word [Read Aloud] Function
MS Word has a facility that will read the words of a block of content outloud and in a fairly natural electronic voice. The assistance this provides has produced astounding personal experiences.   I can hear - not look for - those goofy little mistakes that are so hard to see.  Missing prepositions and commonly misused words top the list. The [Read Aloud] function can be installed in the [Review] toolbar for easy access.

Summary
For those of you who are ESL, and perhaps for those of you who simply have a bit of grammarian within then, these tools can be helpful. Professional Editors provide services of high value for many editing circumstances.  I view these tools as more for personal use and the production of content that cannot be professionally edited.

Responses to this piece will bring the most value if the respondent provides recommendations and explanations of the editing toolkit they consider most powerful.

John B wrote:

Grammarly
The paid version is strong in grammar and sentence structure editing.  I particularly appreciate how it provides explanations of why it thinks something in the writing might be wrong (great training tool for those learning English).  It also provides suggested fixes. 

My happy news; it does not flag CMS-style comma allocation (This, that, and other things - the third comma is CMS style.  Not having that comma would be AP style.  I am a total CMS style junkie, and apparently Grammarly concurs with me.  It is not clear if I could date an AP style writer.  There would just be too much conflict).

Since you expanded on this, I'll expand on my earlier comment. I'm an editor. I like tools that make my job easier. Grammarly is not one of them. I got the Pro version last year because I needed the plagiarism detection for a few clients who source from freelance writers. Since then, I've run all kinds of material through it. I have not hit a single document yet where less than 80% of the suggestions were just flat out wrong.  And here's a timely example - it wants me to replace "where" in that previous sentence with "were".  It is far worse than Word's grammar checker, and that's not real easy to do.

This piece has been rewritten to reflect comments made by forum freelancers.  The intent is to improve its information transfer quality.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

John,

I've merged your threads about similar topics. We may occasionally, move, merge or remove comments to keep the forum organized and on topic. 

I'd also like to use this as an opportunity to remind all Community members of the Guidelines. Please, keep the conversation professional and avoid making personal attacks. A few posts have been removed from this thread.

~ Valeria
Upwork
tlsanders
Community Member

Just how long are your proposals, that you're pulling in paragraphs? 

I can't imagine sending more than three short paragraphs, and at least one of those is going to be project-specific.

Some of my proposals that have led to long-term client relationships have been as short as three sentences. 

To respond to your question, "How long are my proposals".  The proposal length varies according to circumstance, naturally.  My average proposal response is approximately 200 words.  I can rapidly build this length of customized proposal by using content building blocks as described in a previous post.

My experience in receiving prospective client responses from 200-word proposals is consistently complimentary.  I hear responses with these themes:
- Thank you for the thorough reply.
- Your response helped me understand your services better
- You have explained yourself well.

- Thank you for taking the time to respond at length.

Do I know if the tactic of building relatively longer Application Letters provides me with a competitive advantage?  No, I do not.  Do I hear consistently receive "thank yous" and compliments for the use of this tactic?  Yes I do.

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Hello. 

This piece discusses the use of Video Conferencing early and often in the services sales process. It is important to note we wear two hats:  salesperson and freelancer.  We are salespeople first because most surely no one else out there is selling our services for us.

The assumptions include:
- The project budget is large enough to make the efforts to be described worthwhile. 

- I evaluate that level as +$100 in budget, asnd +$300 is most surely the case.

- One has a high-quality internet connection

Here are tactics to engage the use of Video Conferencing early and often in the services sales process:

1. Take the prospective hiring client out of email communication-only environments as quickly as possible.  
- In early email communications, provide a "next step of communication" and suggest a video conference.

- Benefit: Video conferencing increases information transfer increase to a level that is commonly considered to be 10:1 that of emails.

2. Have a professional backdrop for your video conference. 
- If your work environment does not naturally have a professional video conference backdrop.

- One can set up a curtain behind their workspace.

- Or buy a business backdrop curtain. Curtains that provide a backdrop of conservative, professional-looking nature are recommended).

3. As part of the video conference preparation. 
- Ask the client for their LinkedIn URL and their company website URL, if such exists. 

- This prepares the freelancer to begin the video conference with quick references to the prospective client's background, work history, their position of work, etc.  Clients consistently appreciate this in my experience.

- This is also a great way to run a quality check on the person you are dealing with. 

- If they do not have a LinkedIn profile and/or company website, something is perhaps amiss.

4. To begin the video conference interview:
- Prepare a two-minute recitation of your background.
- Having a presentation prepared and practiced to 'present one's self' in a summary form is exceptionally helpful.

- I start this segment by indicating it embarrasses me to talk about myself, but covering this background first may answer many questions.  Then I indicate once this is done, " I can hush up and listen".  Prospective clients consistently agree this sequencing of dialog is a good idea.

5. Offer the client access to a communications platform that is best fit for them. Note: Upwork provides a video conferencing platform.  There can be early complications. For example:

- If a video session with individuals who are not the Upwork project manager are requested, the Upwork video facility becomes untenable.

- Options include a 3rd party video platform (such as Zoom). 

- This would be necessary, for example, if a 3-way conference might be needed and one participant is not the Upwork contract manager. 

- Some prospective clients may simply prefer Skype's facilities.

- Upwork does not forbid the use of 3rd-party video conferencing platforms.  Providing the choice can indicate a freelancer is well prepared to conduct communications.

6. Establish a codified next step in the video conference.  There are a dozen tactics, here are a couple. I engage variations of the WH questions:
"What do you see as the next step".
"What can I do next to continue to position myself for this work"
"The start date you indicated is xyz.  May I prepare specific steps after this call to ensure that start date is met"

To conclude

Shunting prospective clients to video conferencing early and often can be a winning strategy.  I recommend freelancers establish a multi-platform capability including Upwork's indigenous facility, Zoom, and Skype are common choices.

Responses to this piece will be most helpful if they discuss the use of video conference platforms and experiences gained in doing such.

John.

Hello,

This Tip of the Week discusses an advanced selling communication practices. 

Summary
There are four modalities through which humans perceive the world (in general nature, not everyone does this and there are multiple other caveats here).  However, in general terms, there are four modalities of perception:

- visual

- auditory

- touch

- feeling.

These modalities can be identified by the verbs a prospective client uses.  One can then adjust one's speech patterns to reflect that modality. This will increase the outcome of the prospective client 'feeling connected' in some to many cases.

Tactic

- Listen to how they speak during first dialog. 

- Identify what verbs they use. 

- These verbs will indicate how they process the world to some degree.

There are four primary modalities. 

1. "Visual People": you can identify this modality with 'visual verbs'.
- How does this look to you?
- Do you see my point?
- What is your viewpoint on the matter?

2. "Auditory People": you can identify this modality with 'hearing verbs'
- I hear what you are saying.
- Does that sound right to you?
- I like what I am hearing.

3. "Touch People": you can identify this modality with 'touching words'
- I can grasp that concept.
- This seems solid.
- That is a strong idea.

4. "Feeling People":  you can identity this modality with 'emotional words'
- I feel this is a good answer.
- I like this.
- This is good news.

Applying the tactic

When you first speak with a prospective client, listen to their first eight to ten sentences.  Isolate which modality of verbs they are using from the four above.
- Then construct your spoken sentences using the same modality of verb.  

Visual example:

They say: "I like what I am seeing".
Response: "Great, let's take a look at the next step".

Auditory example
They say: "I like what you just said"
Response: "Then let's speak more about how this work would unfold

Touch example
They say: "I'd like to touch on some specific points"

Response "A good next step is to work hand-in-hand to gain a better understanding

Feeling example
They say: "This feels right"

Response:  "I am glad this is the case".

To conclude
The use of this modality-matching verbal communication tactic can be difficult to learn. It will take significant practice, as one must "hear and think" at the same time, in real-time.  Adjusting one's speech in real-time is difficult.

It can be fun to practice this technique.  Observe the speech patterns of your friends and family.  Determine their modality of verb use.  Then practice, in real-time, speaking back to them in natural ways that match their modality.

Over time, this will become a naturally-trained skillset to engage in business circumstances at will.

-  - -

So, I hope you see some value in the information I have provided
Some will listen and being heard is nice.

I feel it is important to contribute to experiences through this forum.

Just a few taps on the keyboard was all it took.

Four modalities.

Based on comments from the forum participants, I have re-written this Tip of the Week. 

Replies and comments have been removed or moved from this thread as they were off topic or in violation of Community Guidelines. A few posts have been merged into this thread and moved to Coffee Break. 

I'd also like to add that while a lot of new posts we see here every day are questions about how to use Upwork, that's not the only purpose of this Community. Upwork Community has posts with feedback about Upwork features, suggestions on how the platform can improve as well as general recommendations and tips about how professionals can enhance their skills, communicate more efficiently, be more productive, successful, etc. Therefore, different members may use this Community for different purposes and may also occasionally disagree. However, when that happens, we ask you all to treat each other with respect and behave in a professional manner.

I would also like to encourage everybody to go over the post about our Community Guidelines that doesn't only list what kind of content may be removed but also talks about the purpose of this Community. 

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I have re-written this response to more adequately present information.  It is a notably long Tip of the Week.  There are many aspects of engaging Video Conferences early and often to cover.

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

It is important to note this is an advanced selling practice.  I recommend it be engaged only after a couple months of personal practice.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths