🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » To what extent does Upwork use algorithms?
Page options
andreas_ihl
Community Member

To what extent does Upwork use algorithms?

Hey,

when does Upwork use algythirms? Is there a workaround solution?

Andy 🙂

15 REPLIES 15
luce-neidert
Community Member

I would ask what doesn't Upwork do using algorithms. I have the feeling they use them all the time.

Okay. I thought mainly in the rankings and reccomondations for hiring, right? What else? 

@Andreas I wrote:

Okay. I thought mainly in the rankings and reccomondations for hiring, right? What else? 

I think you want to take things one step at a time. At this stage you don't even have a profile on Upwork... Complete your profile, submit it for approval, see if you're accepted, then get some jobs and then you can think about algorithms...

This is another instance when Upwork doesn't use algorythms. Passing Petra's inspection is real life stuff.

Well done, Petra!

reinierb
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:

@Andreas I wrote:

I think you want to take things one step at a time. At this stage you don't even have a profile on Upwork... Complete your profile, submit it for approval, see if you're accepted, then get some jobs and then you can think about algorithms...

All of which makes me wonder why the OP would want to know about ways to skirt around the algorithms in the first place. Is there perhaps something he is not telling us, or does not want us or Upwork to know about- like for instance, him wanting to create multiple accounts? Just asking...

@Reinier B wrote:

All of which makes me wonder why the OP would want to know about ways to skirt around the algorithms in the first place. Is there perhaps something he is not telling us, or does not want us or Upwork to know about- like for instance, him wanting to create multiple accounts? Just asking...

It is odd. When joining Upwork, the average person seems to have many things on his/her mind before starting to focus on algorythms.

Hi guys,

maybe I have to explain myself to avoid a wrong picture 😄

I am a PhD-student from Germany and I am currently working on a project, to understand how algorithms on remote work platforms support or hinder long-term career development. That is why I do not have an active account. I hope you understand this.

I am actively looking for freelancers, who might be willing to have a little chat with me about the topic or are okay with a short interview. As it is really difficult to find people, who are willing to support my project, I am very thankful for any support.

With your experiences do you have any advice how to find freelancer supporting me without spamig?

Kind regards

Andy 

Of course I can remove this topic, if is not appropriate here. I don’t want to spam or anything. Just looking for some help 😄

@Andreas I wrote:

Hi guys,

I am a PhD-student from Germany and I am currently working on a project, to understand how algorithms on remote work platforms support or hinder long-term career development. That is why I do not have an active account. I hope you understand this.

I am actively looking for freelancers, who might be willing to have a little chat with me about the topic or are okay with a short interview. As it is really difficult to find people, who are willing to support my project, I am very thankful for any support.

With your experiences do you have any advice how to find freelancer supporting me without spamig?

Kind regards

Andy 

Andy, you could post a job on Upwork and pay people to assist you.

@Andreas I wrote:

Hi guys,

Kind regards

Andy 

I think you should open a client account, post a job indicating exactly what you just had said, when you're done, and let us know how it went.

Cut Andreas a break.

He's going to post a job and hire people. (we talked via PM)

It is an interesting subject, he didn't know.

@Petra R wrote:

Cut Andreas a break.

He's going to post a job and hire people. (we talked via PM)

It is an interesting subject, he didn't know.

Petra, you're to be commended for giving him a break and assisting.  All of us need to do so with others more frequently; don't you agree?  The principle of The Golden Rule goes far in both business and personal. 

Andreas,

Post an hourly job for the minimum possible, invitation only, invite a prolific users (not whiners) of the community, then continue monitoring this and other threads that talk about UW processes and algorithms for additional invitees. Those who want to help will be happy to talk to you for half an hour to an hour for $3 (about €0,07 at today's exchange rate). People who use online platforms have a stake in your work and should want to contribute. That way the UW "free work" algorithm doesn't eat you.

@Reinier B wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

@Andreas I wrote:

Reinier, my thought exactly!  Initially I thought "why do you ask?" and continued the thought process from there.  I was going to post accordingly; you beat me to it.  Smiley Wink

financemark
Community Member

Hello (enter name here),

I am the automated response bot from (enter company here).  I understand you have a question about [How To/User Interface/Q&A/Instructions/Detail/ - "Algonquin Hotel"].  Here is your customized answer regarding [Algonquin Hotel]:

"The Algonquin Hotel is a historic hotel located at 59 West 44th Street in Midtown Manhattan, New York City. The hotel has been designated as a New York City Historic Landmark."

Thank you for using [enter company name here].  We are here to help you 24/7. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths