Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
1 of 17

Who wants to be a top solution author?Woman Happy

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
2 of 17

please don't pick me as the Best Answer Smiley Tongue

if your post gets picked as the Best Answer, that's one vote of being the Top Solution Author and your face and name will be displayed at the side bar (stats only reflect the last 30 days btw).

So if you got 5 (like me currently, it was 6 a few days ago), it means 5 OP picked my reply as the Best Answer for their threads in the last 30 days.

Note: you won't get anything out of it except PMs from clients asking you to contact them outside the site and people asking you to contact support for them. 

Source: Personal experience here

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
3 of 17

I don’t see the option to pick the best answer. Is it because this is the coffee forum?

EDIT: You actually have to comment and the " Best answer" is displayed under each comment.

Community Guru
4 of 17

wahaha, welcome to the Best Answer and Top Solutions Author club John Smiley Tongue

Natasha found the button.

Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
5 of 17

All your Kudos belong to us!

I am sure the people who are currently represented are getting a lot more attention and job offers since oDesk is marketing them as the top people in the forum.

Unfortunately people who are spending a huge amount of time on the forums would not be working or earning much.  If you are getting $50 per hour why waste a huge amount of time on the forum?  I think some new people have seen it as a challenge to get more kudos and more exposure.

It's a pity they deleted all the old messages and feedback forum.  I for one had over 1000 posts back then.

Community Guru
6 of 17

John you are wrong that being on the list gets a freelancer jobs or clients. In my experience, all I get are emails from people asking me to give them work or to lift their profile suspension. They must think that's what a 'solution' is and me being on the top of the list at present time can grant them that.

Imo, it would only be beneficial if you're in customer service plus honestly, clients seldom have time to browse forums hello.

Sadly, other people here don't know that posting and getting kudos will not get them work so they post and post hoping they'll get  more exposure but it's a trap because the top lists thingy only reflects the last 30 days so they have to keep posting and posting and trying to get kudos in hopes they'll get a job out of it.

Just to be clear, I currently have top kudos and top solutions author spot for quite a while now and I can assure you, it offers NO BENEFITS.

Community Guru
7 of 17
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
8 of 17

Hi JB! I am not certain if they deleted all of the old posts. I still see a lot of my old posts where the paragraph formatting has been lost. I thought those were a result of posts being migrated from the old forum to the new Community.

Regarding any value forum posting might have, I wrote the following in another thread:

The oDesk Community is publicly accessible on the Internet. Freelancers could use the Social Media button (adjacent the Kudos score) to plan and launch a social media campaign (Social Media Marketing - SMM) with the intent of promoting their services offered here on oDesk.

oDesk shouldn't mind. They might eventually get new client members; hence, additional revenues. Isn't that really what the new oDesk Community is all about?

Be aware that a lot of social media campaigns are designed around personal, non-business social media accounts; thus, they become cluttered with non-relevant content, which diminishes the effectiveness of the campaigns. Use dedicated accounts for each campaign or group of relevant campaigns. As an example, to date I have about 30 primary "T" accounts and literally over 300 secondary "T" accounts that I have used for clients' social media campaigns.

When using social media campaigns to promote your services offered here on oDesk, your target audience should be the best jobs with the best clients that are the best fit for your skills.

Edited 01/09/2015 RT/lwm

Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
9 of 17

I don't know about the benefits of forum posting but I agree with john that if I had a job, I would not be wasting time on forums. I already am logging in too many hours on my online games.

I keep on finding new things to do on internet. Only thing I can't find is a job. Smiley Very Happy 

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
10 of 17

If oDesk would have waited to release the new Community forum until after it had been completed, tested, and passed testing; then, maybe some of the features that are active would have been more meaningful and usable. Nope, not oDesk....

I believe the "Top Solution Authors" feature was supposed to be used in an area of the forum where 'solutions' would be the typical reply. For instance, the "Job Skill Discussions" area where members could discuss problems and offer solutions to those problems.

Not only did oDesk fail to complete the "Job Skill Discussions" area before launching the new Community, it includes job skills taken exactly how they appear on Elance (character for character, down to the "&"s): IT & Programming, Admin Support, and Design & Multimedia.

"Job Skill Discussions" should include the job skills long established on oDesk. That is, unless the current setup is an indication of changes to come. oDesk has failed to answer one question of particular interest: Does oDesk plan to replace the current core site with a brand new website (notice the trend toward using a lime green header with practically all new Web pages)?

Who wants to be a top solution author? I do for one. Of the nine currently available main categories on oDesk, I would be happy to offer the best solutions to problems in job skill categories like: Networking & Information Systems, Sales & Marketing, and Business Services.

"Which categories best fiy your skills?" Select up to 10 (See attached image).

See oDesk Job Skill Categories -- Freelancer profile User Settings > Profile Settings > Categories > Main Category and Sub Categories.

BTW -- There appears to be a bug in the select best answer routine whereby the initiator of a thread can even select their own subsequent post in the thread as the "Best Answer". Fortunately, the initiator of the thread can subsequently select "Not the best answer" and appoint another author if desired.

Edited 01/09/2015 RT/lwm

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS