Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Translators

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
11 of 18

Hatrove M wrote:

Is your pic, just a 'fun' pic too? 


everybody says that I look like her so I choose the picture as avatar


So if you look just like her why not have your own picture? It is against Upwork's ToS to pretend to be someone else. 

etrusca
Community Leader
Antonia B Member Since: Feb 24, 2015
12 of 18

Wow Petra and Luce, you are very virtuous! I smoke and drink coffee, but I don't eat too much meat. I tried vaping, but for me the cure was worse than the malady. Maybe when the gymn will open again I'll quit this vice, but I'll never give up my three cup of hot, fragant coffee.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
13 of 18

I smoke, drink, inhale coffee, love meat and eat way too many sweets and almost no veggies.  I'm in great health at my advanced age so I guess I have a good immune system/ genetics.  (My mother lived to 95, despite having recurrent cancer for 40 years; my grandmother lived to 93 in spite of a heart attack and cancer in her 80's)  So I'll just keep rocking on fornow.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 18

Antonia B wrote:

Wow Petra and Luce, you are very virtuous! I smoke and drink coffee, but I don't eat too much meat. 


Not so virtuous.. Watching two of my friends lose their fathers to lung cancer within a year made stopping smoking a priority and with vaping it was super easy. Then I weaned myself off the vaping relatively easily.

 

Giving coffee was almost by accident.

 

I haven't given up meat to be virtuous either, I just lost the appetite for it and started craving vegetable based meals. I also have an issue with the way we as society rear, keep, transport and kill farm animals. I am not absolutely strict about it though. My sweet tooth deserted me some years ago as well. 

 

My remaining vice is nice regional red wine: Montepulciano d'Abruzzo

etrusca
Community Leader
Antonia B Member Since: Feb 24, 2015
15 of 18

Petra wrote:

I also have an issue with the way we as society rear, keep, transport and kill farm animals.

I have the same issue.

luce-neidert
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
16 of 18

Petra R wrote:

Antonia B wrote:

Wow Petra and Luce, you are very virtuous! I smoke and drink coffee, but I don't eat too much meat. 


Not so virtuous.. Watching two of my friends lose their fathers to lung cancer within a year made stopping smoking a priority and with vaping it was super easy. Then I weaned myself off the vaping relatively easily.

 

Giving coffee was almost by accident.

 

I haven't given up meat to be virtuous either, I just lost the appetite for it and started craving vegetable based meals. I also have an issue with the way we as society rear, keep, transport and kill farm animals. I am not absolutely strict about it though. My sweet tooth deserted me some years ago as well. 

 

My remaining vice is nice regional red wine: Montepulciano d'Abruzzo


As for me, I'm extremely virtuous. Nearly no coffee, I no longer drink tea (sort of allergic to it). Stopped drugs in my early twenties as I hate wasting time. Feel terrible about eating dead animals. Refuse to drink alcohol if it's not either very good wine or champagne : I find that I'm naturally crazy enough to have an extremely good (and noisy) time wiithout any outside help.

resultsassoc
Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
17 of 18

I am not virtuous, and will not claim to be. There is far too much virtue signaling occurring in the U.S. these days.

 

I gave up smoking two years ago after fifty-nine years of heavy smoking. I had to give up both coffee and alcohol simultaneously because they triggered a desire to smoke. I get my caffeine from soft drinks and chocolate. When I gave up smoking I was already at stage three COPD and had been through two rounds of bladder cancer, a heart attack, cardiac arrest, two strokes.

 

I should have given up my consultancy simultaneously. I sleep up to 22 hours a day, and am already experiencing expressive aphasia. Last summer I felt strong enough to take on two jobs where it was excruciatingly obvious the client was asking for the wrong thing. If either got exactly what he thought he needed, it would not do him any good and would cost him money he didn't need to spend.

 

One piece of work was incredibly easy once I convinced the client that what he wanted would not benefit him. The other one the client begged me to complete the documentation he needed to get what he actually needed. I relented, charged ten minutes per week, and finally was unable to type through the tremors or remain awake long enough to get anything started. I hired someone else and paid him more than I had been paid to complete the work, but the difficulties of an assumption-based financial model that allowed for "what if" analysis proved too much for him, and I was physically incapable of doing the work. I failed him.

 

A word for the few who are nearly as old as I am: If you think it might be time to quit, that time has probably already come and gone.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
18 of 18

Petra R wrote:

 

[...]My remaining vice is nice regional red wine: Montepulciano d'Abruzzo
_________________
Nice vice - don't lose it! 

 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS