🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Tripping over dead threads.
Page options
Community Member

Tripping over dead threads.

Ugh, tricked again! Click into a discussion, upvote an older post, then realize that it is an ancient thread unceremoniously unburied!

Can we get an ancient thread warning sign, or something? This happens way too often 😅

3 REPLIES 3
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Jonathan,

I understand that this can sometimes be a confusing experience in the Community. There are some older threads that can still be valuable - they may have helpful information that's still being viewed frequently or discuss topics that members would still like to bump up and talk about. That said, our team has recently set up a better process for archiving older threads that haven't gotten any engagement in a while or may have outdated information. I hope this helps going forward. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

There are some older threads that can still be valuable - they may have helpful information that's still being viewed frequently or discuss topics that members would still like to bump up and talk about.

Completely agree.

That said, our team has recently set up a better process for archiving older threads that haven't gotten any engagement in a while or may have outdated information.

I don't know that the threads need to be archived. I would think locking/closing would be sufficient - especially if the thread has been solved. Unless archiving = locking/closing, in which case nevermind.

8467c28e
Community Member

I understand your frustration with accidentally stumbling upon old and inactive threads. It can be quite disappointing to find out that the discussion you were engaging with is no longer active.

Unfortunately, most online discussion platforms do not have a built-in warning system for old threads. However, there are a few things you can do to avoid tripping over dead threads:

1. Check the date: Before you engage with a post, take a quick look at the date it was posted. If it's been several months or years since the last comment, it's probably an old thread.

2. Look for recent activity: Even if a thread is old, it may have been recently active if someone revived it with a new comment. Check the last activity date to see if anyone has recently commented.

3. Sort by most recent: Most online discussion platforms allow you to sort threads by the most recent activity. This can help you find the most recent and active threads.

While these methods may not prevent you from stumbling upon old threads entirely, they can help you reduce the chances of wasting your time on inactive discussions.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths