🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Turned down -- Yay!!!
Page options
allpurposewriter
Community Member

Turned down -- Yay!!!

I raised my rates a lot -- and got turned down.

I'm so proud of me. (So, this is what the fast lane feels like. Cool. When's lunch?)

6 REPLIES 6
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Yeah, I lost a job the other day because of my rate.  I decided not to barter because I have a great deal of work elsewhere.

Yes, that's right. Theoretically, you can't raise your rates until you have too much work. I've seen lots of quick advice in here on raising rates and there's often a sheepish reply ... like, how can I raise rates when I'm already playing Angry Birds half the day? I need the work. Ha-ha! The solution: Too much work! Very cool. Man, someone hand me a beer. 

versailles
Community Member

Anthony H wrote:

(So, this is what the fast lane feels like. Cool. When's lunch?)

Lunch is when you are pulled over for speeding.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Joking aside, Anthony, you are a superb writer based on forum comments.  Human psychology leans towards placing a higher value on the more expensive commodities ... so you've saved yourself from the cheapos and will find yourself consistently in higher demand.

And now on to that free lunch .... 😉

lysis10
Community Member

One thing petra has said that stands out always to me when it comes to this stuff (I'm adding my own words lol), is that you got all these people trying to make sure their rates aren't too high, so it's just a sea of the same people just undercutting each other in the middle of a huge pile of proposals. The only place to be is the very highest or the very lowest (well, aside from the first three recommended people).

I get rejected way more now for "price too high" than I did before at $50/hour, but I sleep much better and make more money.

Congratulations, Anthony. Welcome to the ranks of those who get turned down at $40 per hour. Smiley Wink

Latest Articles
Learning Paths