Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork CEO out

Community Leader
Aleksandr S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
21 of 38

No, I'm not

I have multiple contracts. Problems I solve are often **bleep** hard. I cannot afford spending my time on calculating how much a client should pay me. I can solve a problem in a couple of hours or in a couple of days or it may take a month. Noone knows: that's the nature of the problems. What alternative can there be, so me and my clients don't bother with how much should be paid for the task?

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
22 of 38

As a legal professional for 25+ years, I have always had to track my time in order to bill to the client, so I find the UW tracker useful and necessary in my particular field.  Other trackers are not as good, but I do use one for my off-platform clients.  I well understand Bill's comments but they aren't applicable for every field.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
23 of 38

I like the Tracker just because of the payment protection. Escrow is such a pain if there is any dispute. I'll still do escrow but it's my least favorite way of working on here. With Tracker, they can b and moan all day but it doesn't matter. Never had someone dispute my hours with tracker (knock on wood!) Escrow seems reasonable if there is a clear scope, but even then you get the screamers who have meltdowns over a couple hundred bucks. 

Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
24 of 38

Getting back on track, a change in CEO doesn’t affect me at all.

Upwork will do what is best for Upwork.

“The king is dead, long live the king.”

"Certa bonum certamen"
Barbara L Member Since: May 7, 2015
25 of 38

How about simply, "The king is dead. Goodbye!" **edited for Community Guidelines** I don't think he made Upwork a better site. If freelancers are your bread and butter, do everything in your power to make them happy. Whenever I contact the help desk, my answers begin with, "Of course, we can't give you that information." Why is that? Because then I might have information?? Bye, Stephane. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
26 of 38

Stephane will continue on the Board of Directors throughout 2020.  I doubt that much will change. We'll see.

Community Leader
Tom Z Member Since: Jul 10, 2016
27 of 38

Bill, I agree with you 1000% right there. Honestly in my years here, I've never dealt with any clients asking for it. Those who asked for it I never took on. And yes, I got scammed 2 times by clients but oh well.

Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
28 of 38

Anthony H wrote:

That sounds pretty harsh. Every time I go to the garage, they say the car will be done in an hour and it's done in three -- or in three days. Should those guys be shut down -- no more work forever? In short, your post makes it sound like it's easy to distinguish liars from honest folks and doesn't recognize the gray area that may exist at times. In so many words, the Internet offers something extraordinary: The ability to invite billions of people to participate. On the other hand, policing billions of people can be pretty tricky.

Unless you are getting your tires rotated or your oil changed, I would ask for a realistic estimate up front. The problem is people think it sounds so good to say work will be done quickly, then fail to deliver. It is much better to underpromise and overdeliver.

Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
29 of 38

I don't know what the answer is with Upwork, but when we find that relying on each other for info is MUCH more helpful than going to customer service, then something needs to be changed.

When I go to chat and the little "agent is typing" blurb pops up, followed by a canned response that does not address my problem, it makes me irate. The agents should have to freelance here before they work here; maybe then they'd understand some of our frustrations.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
30 of 38

Wendy C wrote:

Bravo, Bill.  Every point you made would elevate Upwork in the eyes & pocketbooks of buyers. 

The only thing I would add to your suggestions would be to permanently remove any FLer who lies / copies / plagiarizes any part of their profile and/or portfolio. If a FLer can't be honest in representing him/herself the odds of them doing a good job for a buyer are nil.

To add to that, take away the ability for suspended profiles to post in the forums. What's the point?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS