🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Upwork Double Check on Reviews and Privac...
Page options
giovagnola-luca
Community Member

Upwork Double Check on Reviews and Privacy

Hey Everyone, this is my first post. 

So, as you know Upwork is sending emails to double check the overlap between freelancers and connections. And I think that this is a really good thing to fight unfair use of the platform. Upwork it's a private platoform so they can decide "who stay in, who stays out". 

In order to make the questions about the overlap more authoritative to listen they've deceided that the non-answer to the email will have negative answer. 

Is that fair? I mean, let's make an example. A discoteque, it's a private place. You can't get in drunk, or high, and I'm happy for it because that will increase the quality of my funny time and do not make me spend my free time whatching someone that is trowing out his soul. But. It would be fair even if the discoteque would ask to have a corporal perquisition to every person that comes in? In Italy at least, that would be a violation of the law, and the owner of the discoteque would be arrested. That situation make me feel uncomfortable. 

"But Luca, you have something to cover? They are just questions". No they are not. If a friend of mine suggest me on LInkedIn, Facebook, Reddit, to hire a certain freelancer, or suggest me to do an hiring process on Upwork, should I be suspended? Moreover, should I be suspended on Upwork, or receive any negative feedback for  to not have properly reported my private relations to the platform? Maybe there's a guy that is posting super interesting articles on Reddit everything and I find him authoritative. If he suggest me to invite to a project a freelancer, I would like to do it, even because the platform allow me to do it! Also, I'm really really really bad in explaining things.  Do I have to be scared about it ? That make me feel uncomfortable. I know these informations are to grow machine learning algorithm to improve the platform and the quality of the service, and I repeat I'm happy for it. But there was not any other possibility to do that?

Any Feedback are appreciated. Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
petra_r
Community Member

Luca G wrote:

Hey Everyone, this is my first post. 

So, as you know Upwork is sending emails to double check the overlap between freelancers and connections.

They what?

Luca G wrote:

Any Feedback are appreciated. Thanks.

I have absolutely no idea what in the world you are talking about.

Edited to add: On your portfolio you claim to have been "behind your client's Upwork account" and how you generated contracts for your client.

If you did so by using your client's Upwork account you're both in seriously deep water because that is strictly forbidden...

versailles
Community Member

I can work, write and speak in English, Italian, French (...)

IDK about Italian and French, but in English, you can't. Nobody can understand the soup of words you just wrote.

I'd love to read what you translated into French that got you a bad rating.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

"So, as you know Upwork is sending emails to double check the overlap between freelancers and connections"

What does that sentence mean?

I'm not sure if I understand your post, but if you're selling fake reviews via social media, then yes, that's against the rules.
petra_r
Community Member

Luca G wrote:

I know these informations are to grow machine learning algorithm to improve the platform and the quality of the service,

Nope, they are designed to catch people who are violating the terms of service so they can be eliminated from the platform

yitwail
Community Member

Luca G wrote:

I'm really really really bad in explaining things. 

Agreed. It might help if you could quote a portion of the email you're referring to.

Lol. Is this Carlo with a new profile? It reads like Carlo's posts used to. The only thing I got is that you can't go to the disco drunk where he lives. No idea what the rest was about. Still, I enjoyed it, the best post I've read in quite a while. 😄

"English - native or bilingual".

Mary W wrote:

"English - native or bilingual".

Well, yes, that is clearly an out-and-out-lie but could theoretically be be delusion as much as utter dishonesty

Eve L wrote:

Lol. Is this Carlo with a new profile? It reads like Carlo's posts used to. The only thing I got is that you can't go to the disco drunk where he lives. No idea what the rest was about. Still, I enjoyed it, the best post I've read in quite a while. 😄

lol Carlo is my favorite word salad poster.

Jennifer M wrote:

Eve L wrote:

lol Carlo is my favorite word salad poster.

I know! If he would come back I would so follow this forum more than I do now. I miss him.

I do not even know who I'm talking to. I don't know how does it work Upwork's forum. I know I'm not Carlos. I will do every possible procedure to prove it, if necessary. As I told in the post I have problems in expression in my native language and probably also in all the other languages I speak. I never had a problem in comprehension with my US / Uk friends, or they've been too polite to not correct me for 5 years, or maybe I suppose I can be understandable by a native without a problem. As you can see in my profile I'm certified IELTS ( I know there's a "pending" under this certification, I've discovered the "pending"today). Last time my score was 6.5 on 9 ( the ID number of the exam could be checked by anyone BTW), I will make again the exam in 30 days and see what happen.
I put "native" in my profile because no one of my English speaking friends had to explain to me a single word or even complain about my English, but again as I told you I have problems explaining things in all the languages I speak. I hope this message is understandable. Have a good day. Here in Italt it is Sunday today, so I would add "Have a Google Sunday".

Luca G wrote:

I do not even know who I'm talking to.

You published your story on a public forum on the Internet.

The people you are speaking with are fellow freelancers.

Thank you very much I appreciate =D 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Luca, 

It sounds like you are referring to the changes in the Terms of Service, and the new conversion fee. When you agree to use Upwork you also agree to our Terms of Service (TOS). These terms outline that if you meet a client or freelancer on Upwork we expect you will keep that relationship on Upwork, including making and receiving payments. You also agree not to spam or attempt to contact another Upwork user via a social media account, email address, etc. without their permission. If we learn a freelancer or client is not following our TOS in most cases we will be forced to permanently close their Upwork account.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you are referring to referrals outside of Upwork - for example, you and a client were referred to each other outside of Upwork. Am I correct? 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths