🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Upwork Wishlist!
Page options
meganshomeoffice
Community Member

Upwork Wishlist!

Tis the season for wishful thinking.  Since Amazon has a wishlist feature, here is a thread for UpWork wishes! Feel free to add.

I would love the ability to move time I've recorded under a wrong work diary -  to the correct work diary. Unfortunatelya screenshot of time recorded under the incorrect contract, then manually entering into the correct work diary isn't practical this day in age.  Upwork, let's get the ability to select the time bubbles and have an option to "Move to" the correct spot. 

37 REPLIES 37
colettelewis
Community Member

@Megan F wrote:

Tis the season for wishful thinking.  Since Amazon has a wishlist feature, here is a thread for UpWork wishes! Feel free to add.

I would love the ability to move time I've recorded under a wrong work diary -  to the correct work diary. Unfortunatelya screenshot of time recorded under the incorrect contract, then manually entering into the correct work diary isn't practical this day in age.  Upwork, let's get the ability to select the time bubbles and have an option to "Move to" the correct spot. 

Sympathize! I've done it and lost a week's work. One does things in a hurry and one pays. It would be good if Upwork could make it sort of fail safe.

I know, I know - we should know better, take better care etc. But still - it happens - to a lot of us! 

I do it too.

Frequently.

You'd think after god knows how many hours (over 10k for sure, too lazy to check) I'd have learned.

But. I. Still. Track. Hours. To. Wrong. Contracts.

mtngigi
Community Member

I wish Upwork would immediately delete (or move to an alternate universe that doesn't show up in the forums) all posts beotching and moaning about JSS issues and "We should get our connects back" because of this, that and the other thing. Enough already.

Second paragraph removed because it was too mean. My Upwork wishlist could get very, very long.

Virginia F wrote:

I wish Upwork would immediately delete (or move to an alternate universe that doesn't show up in the forums) all posts beotching and moaning about JSS issues and "We should get our connects back" because of this, that and the other thing. Enough already.

Second paragraph removed because it was too mean. My Upwork wishlist could get very, very long.

What would be good if Upwork added a heading to the drop-down list and put a JSS section under "Coffee break". 

My email has been jammed with JSS complaints, to the extent that I am going to turn off receiving community notifications. 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

I wish UW would institute a meaningful test of readiness which every newly enrolled FL would have to pass before being able to submit proposals. A passing score would require demonstrated understanding of the terms of each type of UW contract; how and when payment occurs; the fundamentals of the feedback system including the JSS, the TR badge, and RT; and a set of basic "what if" scenarios covering disagreements, formal disputes, and arbitration.

Upon approval of their profile, a new FL would have access to all Help & Support resources and would be able to read the Community Forum (but not post comments yet). Between all of that, anyone who is not lazy could learn all they needed to pass the readiness test. After passing the test, they could submit proposals and also participate fully in the CF.

Protect feckless/wreckless/careless/lazy/impatient newbies from themselves, protect clients from same, and relieve everybody else from hearing the whining that ensues from all sides when utterly predictable, utterly preventable misunderstandings and mishaps occur.

Greater transparency

mtngigi
Community Member

Upwork mugs or water bottles for all top-rated Christmas stockings  ...  without having to enter a contest. I mean seriously, how long does someone have to work here to get some swag?

browersr
Community Member

Well this thought might not receive favorable responses but I am going to say it anyway... I wouldn't mind the ability to pay for a "sponsored" spot on client searches with relevant search terms (like Google does). I do fully support the notion of giving newer freelancers a chance to show in the top spots as surely I benefited at one time, but I still shake my head when I search from a client perspective and I am buried so deep that Indiana Jones wouldn't find me.  I, as many of you, provide a good profit margin at the lowest possible cost to UW (i.e. rarely use CS and don't have client issues) and I'd happily make an additional investment to the benefit of both parties. I think UW leaves a lot of money on the table.  

vsalinitro
Community Member

@Megan F wrote:

I had the same problem a couple of times this week, and I realized that the reason (at least for me) is that the only thing I can see in the work diary is the title of the contracts (which in my case is very similar in every contract), if I could  see the name of the client first, followed by the title of the contract, that would solve 90% of the problem.

colleenezzell
Community Member

I would love for there to be some way for potential clients to let freelancers know when they have selected someone else for their project.  Just a box to check, listing several possible reasons, would be helpful. For example: not enough experience in genre or field; bid too high; unable to meet deadline. I'm sure some of you can think of other reasons. Even if there are a great many applications, how hard can it be to check a box? Freelancers are penalized for not responding on a timely basis to an invitation to bid on a project. I don't know what kind of penalty could be charged to job listers, but it's frustrating to write a killer proposal, knowing you have all the qualifications and would do a super job, but never hearing anything in response.

@Colleen E wrote:

I would love for there to be some way for potential clients to let freelancers know when they have selected someone else for their project.  Just a box to check, listing several possible reasons, would be helpful. For example: not enough experience in genre or field; bid too high; unable to meet deadline. I'm sure some of you can think of other reasons. Even if there are a great many applications, how hard can it be to check a box? Freelancers are penalized for not responding on a timely basis to an invitation to bid on a project. I don't know what kind of penalty could be charged to job listers, but it's frustrating to write a killer proposal, knowing you have all the qualifications and would do a super job, but never hearing anything in response.

So, if a client receives 100 applications he will have to go through all the 100 and give every single one of them an explanation? that would be a huuuge waste of time.

@Colleen E wrote:

That is not doable - clients would run screaming. Penalties? Umm, no.

I usually have a good idea of why I'm not getting a job (and if I don't, I don't care) ... most experienced freelancers do not need this explanation hand-holding thing. Too many bids, client too cheap, client just fishing, etc. etc. and on and on. If you don't know what you're doing wrong (or right),that's a problem. And sometimes it doesn't matter if you're doing everything right - we don't get all the jobs we bid on. End of story.

Even if the clients are somehow made ready to check boxes for all freelancers that would serve no purpose as Clients often do not know the reason of rejection.That would result in ticking of random boxes. This is because clients post job to select someone to work on their projects.Most of us do not post jobs to reject someone.

Sometimes there may be a valid reason to reject someone but most often freelancers are not selected because someone else was more suitable for the job (Ofcourse according to the client).

@Colleen E wrote:

UW is here to make money, as we are. Clients bring the money. Therefore, UW is never going to institute anything that potentially discourages clients from using the platform.

Through my FREE account at UW, I've connected with some wonderful clients and profitable work that I would never, in a million years, have found on my own without investing thousands of dollars in marketing and maybe, not even then. I get to choose what to be frustrated about, and not knowing why I don't land a particular job here doesn't even make the list. (Do I sometimes wonder? Sure. And I'll do a little spade work sometimes, if I can suss out who the client is. But largely, I put the proposal in a bottle, cork it, and pitch it on the outgoing tide. Maybe something comes back, maybe it doesn't.)

@Phyllis G wrote:

Through my FREE account at UW, I've connected with some wonderful clients and profitable work that I would never, in a million years, have found on my own without investing thousands of dollars in marketing and maybe, not even then. I get to choose what to be frustrated about, and not knowing why I don't land a particular job here doesn't even make the list. (Do I sometimes wonder? Sure. And I'll do a little spade work sometimes, if I can suss out who the client is. But largely, I put the proposal in a bottle, cork it, and pitch it on the outgoing tide. Maybe something comes back, maybe it doesn't.)

Yeah, um, hate to break it to you but your account is not free. Maybe you don't have to pay up front, but it's not free unless you're taking all of your clients off the site where you don't have to pay fees... ?

@Jess C wrote:

Yeah, um, hate to break it to you but your account is not free. Maybe you don't have to pay up front, but it's not free unless you're taking all of your clients off the site where you don't have to pay fees... ?

Tomato, to-mah-to... I paid nothing to join and never upgraded, nor ever would. No, I'm not taking clients off-site so, yes, I'm paying to play here. But UW's cut could be fairly characterized as a pittance compared with what I'd have to spend in up-front costs every year or two to sustain the level of marketing that would bring me into contact with the UW clients I value most. 

kat303
Community Member

I would like to have a "sandbox" area where freelancers can log into and have a hands on experience of how the client side of this site works. It's one thing to just read about it, but it might be helpful if freelancers can post jobs, hire, pay etc without actually registering as a client and posting a job and paying.

I would also like, for the freelancer to have more control (with the clients approve) over the contract. To be able to add milestones, change from hourly/fixed rate etc...

jcullinan
Community Member

I wish Upwork would actually talk to working freelancers about the nuts and bolts of how the site is used before they make changes.

I wish Upwork would allow us to opt out of said changes when it is clear they are of no use to us (see: Specialized Profiles for Design & Creative in which the sub-categories are basically a random collection from a game of word association).

I really wish Upwork would screen clients better. Raising the mandatory minimums to $7.50/hour and $50 fixed-price would make a huge difference.

And most of all, I wish for greater transparency in all areas of the site, but especially in the Community where the "rules" are applied, at best, arbitrarily.

Coming from another thread I just wish there would be the option for freelancers to show the client that they are professionals and not just in it for some easy money. How can a professional really show his/her professionalism if anyone can claim to have certain knowledge and experience. And how can clients be protected from harm. Especially in the case of translation a bad translation might not be recognized as such by the client when he makes the payment but can have lethal consequenses. I am sure the client will be happy to hear that he owns the copyright of that translation...

@Jess C wrote:

I wish Upwork would allow us to opt out of said changes when it is clear they are of no use to us (see: Specialized Profiles for Design & Creative in which the sub-categories are basically a random collection from a game of word association).

I completely agree, I'm still trying to figure out how and if this feature would ever help me, or anybody, in any possible way. So far the answer is "No".

mtngigi
Community Member

Just reading a "New in Upwork" thread" prompts this wish.

Upwork, how about a major campaign about WHAT NOT TO DO, especially for new freelancers. That being asked for, and doing, massive free tests - where a "client" is gettting a 25,000 word document done by 10 people @ 2000 words per is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

Who is this benifitting, Upwork? You're certainly losing money by allowing this drain to continue. Go after this aggresively. Go after the freelancers who stupidly partake - and go after these scammy, icky clients. Make it part of the readiness test (if it isn't already).

Kick 'em to the curb.

@Virginia F wrote:

Upwork, how about a major campaign about WHAT NOT TO DO@, especially for new freelancers. That being asked for, and doing, massive free tests - where a "client" is gettting a 25,000 word document done by 10 people @ 2000 words per is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

Who is this benifitting, Upwork? You're certainly losing money by allowing this drain to continue. Go after this aggresively. Go after the freelancers who stupidly partake - and go after these scammy, icky clients. Make it part of the readiness test (if it isn't already).

Kick 'em to the curb.

That same thread had me muttering and sputtering, and I found myself most aggravated with the inexperienced FLs who are unwilling to learn what they are getting into before leaping in. Anybody with experience in the brick and mortar world would never consider doing 8% of a project for free, in hopes of landing the contract. (And, my harsher angel, adds, anybody with an ounce and a half of common sense about business.)

Yes, the clients running that scam are disgusting but I don't see any practical way to stop it because they'll keep scampering around, setting up shop under new accounts. It's a whack-a-mole game that the platform will never win. It's like the automated spam phone calls, they only have to make anything on a minute percentage of calls for it to be worth their while.

@Phyllis G wrote:

@Virginia F wrote:

Upwork, how about a major campaign about WHAT NOT TO DO@, especially for new freelancers. That being asked for, and doing, massive free tests - where a "client" is gettting a 25,000 word document done by 10 people @ 2000 words per is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

Kick 'em to the curb.

That same thread had me muttering and sputtering, and I found myself most aggravated with the inexperienced FLs who are unwilling to learn what they are getting into before leaping in. Anybody with experience in the brick and mortar world would never consider doing 8% of a project for free, in hopes of landing the contract. (And, my harsher angel, adds, anybody with an ounce and a half of common sense about business.)

That's exactly why I'm suggesting to go aggresively at the freelancers - get them to stop and use their brains (what a concept), and the clients won't find their victims. If a freelancer such as the poster on that thread does a "test" and then comes looking for pay, put a hold on their account until they've demonstrated that they know what not to do and how it works to actually get paid for freelancing. That ought to make them all "ready".

All I want for Christmas is for Upwork to develop a meaningful test that every new freelancer must pass before their profile is approved.  It could cover all the subjects that are done to death on the forum - free work, how do I get paid, TOS, JSS and everything else that is explained over and over to people who are too lazy to learn about the platform until everything goes wrong.

claudiacezy
Community Member

Short and straightforward ... I wish to be the blessed winner of $1 million at the special Christmas drawings ran by Upwork.

My wish is simple: I would love to land a client that expects only about 5 hours' worth of work per month, but who is so enamoured of what I do, that they put me on a weekly retainer of ... oh, let's say...about a thousand bucks...just so that I would be free for those few hours they really need me to do anything for them.

One can dream...

This is a small wish, but if memory serves, it used to be that when you click the more button in the job feed for a job with a lengthy description, the description would expand to show the full text. Now, however, you get a giant popup, which you have to click again to dismiss. My wish is to bring back the old functionality, which was a time saver for me.

I would love to receive an email every time a job ad that matches my saved search is published. 

Really hope that's doable Smiley Wink

I don't understand what are you guys doing.

It is possible that someone who is new to Upwork may think that Upwork actually listens to suggestions, but seasoned users should know better.

At best, Upwork's IT resources are insufficient. At worst, they are poorly managed. The platform is down all the time, bugs can sit here for months before being fixed and changes sometimes take years to get implemented.

What the frak do you think you are doing with your wishlist? Christmas is around the corner and you feel like writing to Santa or what?

A whislist. Lol.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Rene K wrote:

It is possible that someone who is new to Upwork may think that Upwork actually listens to suggestions, but seasoned users should know better.

At best, Upwork's IT resources are insufficient. At worst, they are poorly managed. The platform is down all the time, bugs can sit here for months before being fixed and changes sometimes take years to get implemented.

What the frak do you think you are doing with your wishlist? Christmas is around the corner and you feel like writing to Santa or what?

A whislist. Lol.

That's why they're called horses .... we're all just riding (and begging), Rene.

@Rene K wrote:

A whislist. Lol.

I have it on very good authority that UW is in fact taking their long-term strategic plan directly from this thread. I don't like to divulge my sources, but it came in the form of a note left under my pillow in exchange for a tooth (yes, this was the cost I had to pay to bring this info to light). In other good news, I did write to Santa and ask that he or the Easter Bunny please deliver me a new tooth. If not that, I am sure they will at least renew my subscription to the Jelly of the Month club. 

For your naysaying attitude, Rene, may Santa deliver another McDonald's or Starbucks to your country! Joyeux Noel! 

Scott B wrote: 

For your naysaying attitude, Rene, may Santa deliver another McDonald's or Starbucks to your country! Joyeux Noel! 

Burger King came back after decades of absence, so I'm happy. And if Upwork is reading this thread and since they are in California, is there a way they can pull some strings so we get San Francisco's Lori's Diner in Paris? 

😀

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Rene K wrote:

Scott B wrote: 

Burger King came back after decades of absence, so I'm happy. And if Upwork is reading this thread and since they are in California, is there a way they can pull some strings so we get San Francisco's Lori's Diner in Paris? 

😀

I think you'd prefer In-N-Out which can still have lines around it at 2a. Not Californian, but perhaps Chick-fil-A is another treat awaiting Parisians.... I am weeping as I write this because, you know, it will eventually happen. 

My wish? I'd like to see people who post jobs asking freelancers to write their academic dissertations have their accounts permanently closed by UpWork.

If someone could also put some lumps of coal in their stockings (or get them expelled from their programs) if they request a masters thesis in 3 days, that would just be a bonus. 

Cher Rene, we can always hope.  It will never happen but then, I will never get the stuff on my Amazon wish list either.

Colleen and Valero,

I put significant time into reviewing profiles, not for JSS scores nor merit badges, but for whether the freelancer is business-oriented and makes sense. Then I invite not more than ten from the list and make the job invitation only. I acknowledge every response and keep everybody aware of the progress of downselection. At the end, those with salvageable responses get told why they didn't get this job, in hope that they will remember me and apply in the future. If there is a flaw, I try to identify it to the freelancer so that s/he becomes better. An improved talent pool benefits everyone.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

I want a button so that somebody reaches out through my laptop and gives me a back rub. I want that button to have pink flowers on it. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths