cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork Wishlist!

Community Leader
Colleen E Member Since: Jun 29, 2016
11 of 38

I would love for there to be some way for potential clients to let freelancers know when they have selected someone else for their project.  Just a box to check, listing several possible reasons, would be helpful. For example: not enough experience in genre or field; bid too high; unable to meet deadline. I'm sure some of you can think of other reasons. Even if there are a great many applications, how hard can it be to check a box? Freelancers are penalized for not responding on a timely basis to an invitation to bid on a project. I don't know what kind of penalty could be charged to job listers, but it's frustrating to write a killer proposal, knowing you have all the qualifications and would do a super job, but never hearing anything in response.

Ace Contributor
Valerio S Member Since: Oct 13, 2017
12 of 38

@Colleen E wrote:

I would love for there to be some way for potential clients to let freelancers know when they have selected someone else for their project.  Just a box to check, listing several possible reasons, would be helpful. For example: not enough experience in genre or field; bid too high; unable to meet deadline. I'm sure some of you can think of other reasons. Even if there are a great many applications, how hard can it be to check a box? Freelancers are penalized for not responding on a timely basis to an invitation to bid on a project. I don't know what kind of penalty could be charged to job listers, but it's frustrating to write a killer proposal, knowing you have all the qualifications and would do a super job, but never hearing anything in response.

So, if a client receives 100 applications he will have to go through all the 100 and give every single one of them an explanation? that would be a huuuge waste of time.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
13 of 38

@Colleen E wrote:

That is not doable - clients would run screaming. Penalties? Umm, no.

I usually have a good idea of why I'm not getting a job (and if I don't, I don't care) ... most experienced freelancers do not need this explanation hand-holding thing. Too many bids, client too cheap, client just fishing, etc. etc. and on and on. If you don't know what you're doing wrong (or right),that's a problem. And sometimes it doesn't matter if you're doing everything right - we don't get all the jobs we bid on. End of story.

Community Guru
Vivek K Member Since: May 28, 2016
14 of 38

Even if the clients are somehow made ready to check boxes for all freelancers that would serve no purpose as Clients often do not know the reason of rejection.That would result in ticking of random boxes. This is because clients post job to select someone to work on their projects.Most of us do not post jobs to reject someone.

Sometimes there may be a valid reason to reject someone but most often freelancers are not selected because someone else was more suitable for the job (Ofcourse according to the client).

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
15 of 38

@Colleen E wrote:

UW is here to make money, as we are. Clients bring the money. Therefore, UW is never going to institute anything that potentially discourages clients from using the platform.

Through my FREE account at UW, I've connected with some wonderful clients and profitable work that I would never, in a million years, have found on my own without investing thousands of dollars in marketing and maybe, not even then. I get to choose what to be frustrated about, and not knowing why I don't land a particular job here doesn't even make the list. (Do I sometimes wonder? Sure. And I'll do a little spade work sometimes, if I can suss out who the client is. But largely, I put the proposal in a bottle, cork it, and pitch it on the outgoing tide. Maybe something comes back, maybe it doesn't.)

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
16 of 38

@Phyllis G wrote:

Through my FREE account at UW, I've connected with some wonderful clients and profitable work that I would never, in a million years, have found on my own without investing thousands of dollars in marketing and maybe, not even then. I get to choose what to be frustrated about, and not knowing why I don't land a particular job here doesn't even make the list. (Do I sometimes wonder? Sure. And I'll do a little spade work sometimes, if I can suss out who the client is. But largely, I put the proposal in a bottle, cork it, and pitch it on the outgoing tide. Maybe something comes back, maybe it doesn't.)

Yeah, um, hate to break it to you but your account is not free. Maybe you don't have to pay up front, but it's not free unless you're taking all of your clients off the site where you don't have to pay fees... ?

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
17 of 38

@Jess C wrote:

Yeah, um, hate to break it to you but your account is not free. Maybe you don't have to pay up front, but it's not free unless you're taking all of your clients off the site where you don't have to pay fees... ?

Tomato, to-mah-to... I paid nothing to join and never upgraded, nor ever would. No, I'm not taking clients off-site so, yes, I'm paying to play here. But UW's cut could be fairly characterized as a pittance compared with what I'd have to spend in up-front costs every year or two to sustain the level of marketing that would bring me into contact with the UW clients I value most. 

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
18 of 38

I would like to have a "sandbox" area where freelancers can log into and have a hands on experience of how the client side of this site works. It's one thing to just read about it, but it might be helpful if freelancers can post jobs, hire, pay etc without actually registering as a client and posting a job and paying.

I would also like, for the freelancer to have more control (with the clients approve) over the contract. To be able to add milestones, change from hourly/fixed rate etc...

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
19 of 38

I wish Upwork would actually talk to working freelancers about the nuts and bolts of how the site is used before they make changes.

I wish Upwork would allow us to opt out of said changes when it is clear they are of no use to us (see: Specialized Profiles for Design & Creative in which the sub-categories are basically a random collection from a game of word association).

I really wish Upwork would screen clients better. Raising the mandatory minimums to $7.50/hour and $50 fixed-price would make a huge difference.

And most of all, I wish for greater transparency in all areas of the site, but especially in the Community where the "rules" are applied, at best, arbitrarily.

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
20 of 38

Coming from another thread I just wish there would be the option for freelancers to show the client that they are professionals and not just in it for some easy money. How can a professional really show his/her professionalism if anyone can claim to have certain knowledge and experience. And how can clients be protected from harm. Especially in the case of translation a bad translation might not be recognized as such by the client when he makes the payment but can have lethal consequenses. I am sure the client will be happy to hear that he owns the copyright of that translation...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS