Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork Wishlist!

Ace Contributor
Valerio S Member Since: Oct 13, 2017
21 of 38

@Jess C wrote:

I wish Upwork would allow us to opt out of said changes when it is clear they are of no use to us (see: Specialized Profiles for Design & Creative in which the sub-categories are basically a random collection from a game of word association).

I completely agree, I'm still trying to figure out how and if this feature would ever help me, or anybody, in any possible way. So far the answer is "No".

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
22 of 38

Just reading a "New in Upwork" thread" prompts this wish.

Upwork, how about a major campaign about WHAT NOT TO DO, especially for new freelancers. That being asked for, and doing, massive free tests - where a "client" is gettting a 25,000 word document done by 10 people @ 2000 words per is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

Who is this benifitting, Upwork? You're certainly losing money by allowing this drain to continue. Go after this aggresively. Go after the freelancers who stupidly partake - and go after these scammy, icky clients. Make it part of the readiness test (if it isn't already).

Kick 'em to the curb.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
23 of 38

@Virginia F wrote:

Upwork, how about a major campaign about WHAT NOT TO DO@, especially for new freelancers. That being asked for, and doing, massive free tests - where a "client" is gettting a 25,000 word document done by 10 people @ 2000 words per is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

Who is this benifitting, Upwork? You're certainly losing money by allowing this drain to continue. Go after this aggresively. Go after the freelancers who stupidly partake - and go after these scammy, icky clients. Make it part of the readiness test (if it isn't already).

Kick 'em to the curb.

That same thread had me muttering and sputtering, and I found myself most aggravated with the inexperienced FLs who are unwilling to learn what they are getting into before leaping in. Anybody with experience in the brick and mortar world would never consider doing 8% of a project for free, in hopes of landing the contract. (And, my harsher angel, adds, anybody with an ounce and a half of common sense about business.)

Yes, the clients running that scam are disgusting but I don't see any practical way to stop it because they'll keep scampering around, setting up shop under new accounts. It's a whack-a-mole game that the platform will never win. It's like the automated spam phone calls, they only have to make anything on a minute percentage of calls for it to be worth their while.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
24 of 38

@Phyllis G wrote:

@Virginia F wrote:

Upwork, how about a major campaign about WHAT NOT TO DO@, especially for new freelancers. That being asked for, and doing, massive free tests - where a "client" is gettting a 25,000 word document done by 10 people @ 2000 words per is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

Kick 'em to the curb.

That same thread had me muttering and sputtering, and I found myself most aggravated with the inexperienced FLs who are unwilling to learn what they are getting into before leaping in. Anybody with experience in the brick and mortar world would never consider doing 8% of a project for free, in hopes of landing the contract. (And, my harsher angel, adds, anybody with an ounce and a half of common sense about business.)

That's exactly why I'm suggesting to go aggresively at the freelancers - get them to stop and use their brains (what a concept), and the clients won't find their victims. If a freelancer such as the poster on that thread does a "test" and then comes looking for pay, put a hold on their account until they've demonstrated that they know what not to do and how it works to actually get paid for freelancing. That ought to make them all "ready".

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
25 of 38

All I want for Christmas is for Upwork to develop a meaningful test that every new freelancer must pass before their profile is approved.  It could cover all the subjects that are done to death on the forum - free work, how do I get paid, TOS, JSS and everything else that is explained over and over to people who are too lazy to learn about the platform until everything goes wrong.

Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
26 of 38

Short and straightforward ... I wish to be the blessed winner of $1 million at the special Christmas drawings ran by Upwork.

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
27 of 38

My wish is simple: I would love to land a client that expects only about 5 hours' worth of work per month, but who is so enamoured of what I do, that they put me on a weekly retainer of ... oh, let's say...about a thousand bucks...just so that I would be free for those few hours they really need me to do anything for them.

One can dream...

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
28 of 38

This is a small wish, but if memory serves, it used to be that when you click the more button in the job feed for a job with a lengthy description, the description would expand to show the full text. Now, however, you get a giant popup, which you have to click again to dismiss. My wish is to bring back the old functionality, which was a time saver for me.

29 of 38

I would love to receive an email every time a job ad that matches my saved search is published. 

Really hope that's doable Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
30 of 38

I don't understand what are you guys doing.

It is possible that someone who is new to Upwork may think that Upwork actually listens to suggestions, but seasoned users should know better.

At best, Upwork's IT resources are insufficient. At worst, they are poorly managed. The platform is down all the time, bugs can sit here for months before being fixed and changes sometimes take years to get implemented.

What the frak do you think you are doing with your wishlist? Christmas is around the corner and you feel like writing to Santa or what?

A whislist. Lol.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS