Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upwork client/freelancer procedure

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
1 of 12

I might be old school, or it might be because I'm not a freelancer that's been doing this for umpteen years and have x amount of dollars in work that I can claim so I'm not as 'matter of fact' about this issue but hey, I'm going to vent about this. 

When a client 'interviews' me (I'm a candidate but not being officially interviewed) and asks me something and I answer with or without a question of my own, I wouldn't mind seeing a response. Any response would be nice... no thanks, I'll write later, too busy, you're not a good fit if you need to ask me questions, if you don't want to provide that information then we can't do business, when can you start working... or just take off would be acceptable.. but when I get no response for a couple of days or even 5 days it makes me think that the person is sloughing me off thinking that my time means nothing or I start thinking they have internet issues and I need to wait for them. I don't know what the reason is but most likely it isn't the latter. 

I understand that clients don't need to answer me, they don't owe me anything, but I was raised in the good old days in Canada where people were polite in person, and written correspondance was followed up on. This is why I think it's not very nice to keep a freelancer hanging. If they are interveiwing other prospects, that's great but at least let me know I'm not in the running any longer. It only takes a minute or so to type out a few words and either accept me or deny me, no one is that busy they can't do that. My time is just as valuable as theirs is. 

I don't know what the proper form is for a freelancer waiting for a response from a client, but I have decided that if I don't hear back from them for a couple of days then I need to withdraw my application.

What do you do when you reply to a client's message but you don't hear back from them again? 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 12

Mariska, when I first started I felt exactly the same way!

After a while you get used to it, and I swear I don't even notice it any longer, let alone take it personally.

It appears to be the way "it's done!"

I make sure that I respond to absolutely every question or contact, but if theydon't write back they don't write back.

It isn't personal, and it is almost certain they do it to everyone.

By the way, I don't withdraw applications when a client has become unresponsive, there is nothing to be gained from withdrawing it unless you're so busy that you could not accomodate them if they pop back up again.

I just leave them sitting there......

-

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 12

Hey Petra, 

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone and that I might eventually not care as much. Sometimes I get this bee in my bonnet and it doesn't go away though. Maybe it's my upbringing, I don't know. 

Maybe I won't withdraw my application for some of them but there's this 'gut' thing I have too with some. I figure that if someone doesn't have the courtesty to tell me to buzz off even, they might not be the type of person I'd want to deal with on a daily or weekly basis either. 

The courting phase is when they initiate contact. The client is making an impression here whether they know it or not, just like the freelancer tried to make an impression with the job application. When a client sends that first email and asks questions or explains things and expects a reply, I will reply. Apparently I can't expect a reply. That's not fair. I wil get used to it eventually but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth about that client. It might not be personal but it shows a lack of consideration for my time.

Just curious, but our JS has to do with our response time and if we don't respond quickly it goes against us but does the client have to worry about lack of response going against his stats? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 12

Mariska, I promise you'll get used to it! I was brought up with the same ideals as to it being common courtesy to respond to things, and I was upset about the same thing originally, now I don't even give it any thought at all...

The response time to messages will not affect your job success score at all actually, as the "response thing" is not to messages but to job invites. (offers to interview) It is a seperate factor "responsiveness" and is not factored into the JSS. All you have to make sure is to respond to "Invitations to apply / interview" within 24 hours. What you do in your messages is not part of that metric.

There is nothing that measures response rate to messages as in every communication there comes a point where no further response is needed.

Let's say the client says to you "I'll get in touch when I'm ready with the XYZ" and you respond with "Great, I look forward to hearing from you!" then seriously there's no need for the client to respond to that until they are ready... 

So (I'm being long-winded) essentially no, the client's stats are not affected by not responding to your last communication, and neither are a freelancer's in the same situation!

-

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 12

Okay, I get it. Here I was thinking it's the same as responding to an interview request.

What confuses me (and I'm easily confused) is that I will have an active candidacy but then when I look at the job posting it will say the client is interviewing someone. Originally I thought I wasn't being interviewed, but then when I withdrew a proposal then I noticed the job post had no one interviewing right after I withdrew. So then I knew I was the interviewee. This is why I thought this was a Js thing and thanks for letting me know it isn't connected. 

Still though, if it's a job that I really want and they don't reply back to my reply to them, I get a bit miffed.. Smiley Happy It's like the when someone you want to date tells you they'll call you or if you're online they say 'brb' and never come back!!! Totally peez me off! lol. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 12

11880673_1135081543186206_5846404292345944320_n.jpg

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 12

lol at jail pics

Don't worry you'll get used to it. I actually ignore too sometimes. If I feel it's a WOT I just stop responding. Sometimes people just keep talking to you and it just seems like they keep wanting to talk. Doesn't happen a lot but you just kinda say "ok buddy, I gotta do stuff now." lol

Don't let the system get ya down! That's what happy fun times on forums are for. Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 12

Ya. I guess I will but I still think it only takes a second to say buzz off. Or at least after a few days say sorry for the wait etc. I live in another world I suppose. sigh. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 12

Because you're a considerate person. Something rare on the Internets. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
10 of 12

Right on all points Mariska.

And bad manners is not something to get used to; but as Petra says, that's the way it is done.

I wont ever get used to it, but I tolerate it since I know better.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS