🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Upwork is Scrooge
Page options
mandy_huddleston
Community Member

Upwork is Scrooge

Merry Christmas Upwork - 

From a member of the Freelance community who collectively pays your bills and butters your bread. One part of the collective whom you couldn't exist without. We the ones who work tirelessly everyday, and to use your platform, you take a cut. Fair enough. But after a 10-15% cut from everything that comes in (through your platform) all year long, you also find it necessary to take a cut from the Christmas Bonus our clients so generously gives? You should be the one giving out Christmas Bonuses, but no. You only take. 

Merry Christmas Scrooge. 

15 REPLIES 15
timefighter11
Community Member

No bonus for me still. 😄
But yeah,  I really support your point. 

lysis10
Community Member

I'm sure they did give out bonuses to their employees.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mandy,

I understand your frustration but please do note that the sliding service fee is applied universally on all payments processed on Upwork on contracts with non-Enterprise clients. While turbulent, we hope you had a great year on Upwork and wish you even more success in 2021. Happy holidays!

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Stay buoyant Upwork  and ignore the whining "unfair" chorus. I hope all freelancers on Upwork and all Upwork employees - particularly the mods - have as good a Christmas or seasonal holiday as is possible and let's all raise a glass to a better 2021.

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Mandy,

I understand your frustration but please do note that the sliding service fee is applied universally on all payments processed on Upwork on contracts with non-Enterprise clients. While turbulent, we hope you had a great year on Upwork and wish you even more success in 2021. Happy holidays!

Happy Holidays VLAD DADDY.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Thanks, Vlad! And thanks to Upwork for a great year!

Thanks, Vlad! And thanks to UW for helping me stay afloat this year. Here's hoping we all have a more profitable and less perilous year in 2021. And for Upwork I particularly wish the platform attracts more FLs who understand contracting and comprehend the operating principles of UW's business model as well as their own, so they can devote their talents and energy to earning money.

Happy holidays and a prosperous new year to everybody!

Hello, Vlad

Wishing you and all other Upworkers (behind-the-scenes folks, mods, and freelancers) a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year!

Upwork is a great platform, unmatched by any other.

Ravi

"Certa bonum certamen"

Blessings to all.

Here's hoping that the holiday season brings peace and comfort to all of us. And even more, let's hope that 2021 brings health, happiness and at least moderate prosperity to all the world. God bless.

Yes Mary, let's hope for a good 2021 for all!

May 2021 be the year when Scrooge finally has a change of heart. May his eyes open and see how unethical it is to take a cut from bonusses.

Thank you, Vlad. You’re completely right. A little story I’d like to share ...

One year ago, I was facing the very real possibility of losing my home. At the time, I was writing nonfiction educational books for students, and it is anything *but* a lucrative profession. I wanted out, and although I was scared, I believed Upwork was my ticket to a new career.

Although I had only won a few projects, I threw myself into developing my editing and proofreading business on Upwork. I read everything I could get my hands on about how to succeed on this platform. I redid my profile probably a hundred times. I worked my butt off.

I’m ending this year as a (1) a Top Rated Plus freelancer, and (2) one of Upwork’s most ardent fans.

It hasn’t always been easy—but that’s life. I consider the percentage Upwork charges to be fair and the price I pay for quality clients and projects I would never have found on my own.

So happy, happy holidays, Upwork. Thank you for helping me change my life.

Amazing! I also had the same kind of situation two years ago. our house is on loan and we were earning barely to survive and pay for installments. For the two years, I just earned 200$ on Upwork. I spent more on Upwork than what I earned (connects etc.).  But I knew one thing, if there is anything that can change my life, then that will be Upwork. For two years I was gathering skills and experience from full-time jobs. But I always felt those 9 to 5 jobs to be monotonous. Because those bosses, they were the one who wants to take huge part out of company profits in their own pockets and give little to staff. But I never threw my frustration here that why I am not succeeding on Upwork. But now I am living a decent life, due to Upwork and now I am a full-time freelancer. Although still, I am not that great freelancer here. But I will now try to skyrocket my work-experience and achievements on Upwork, soon. Merry Christmas and happy new year to the entire community and to the Upwork as well! 

¡Felices Fiestas y un Próspero (y mejor) Año Nuevo!

Vlad, I warn you, if you edit the above because it is not in English, we are going to have a problem Smiley Wink

Latest Articles
Learning Paths