cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent! Help me cheat!

Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
11 of 17

I have flagged "jobs" that include prominently displayed phrases including (but hardly limited to) the following:

"I am looking to get this research paper done for a class that I'm taking"

"Management and Policy take home final"

"Solve English assignment"

"Introduction to Finance Exam"

"Communications Skills Essay, First Year Uni" [University]

"I need a writer to compose a 1,000-word essay for a high school literature class"

Some of the jobs I have flagged were taken down. The majority of my flags received a perfunctory "Thanks," but the jobs remained live. And the freelancers who service these clients also remain "live" on Upwork.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
12 of 17

Janean L wrote:

I have flagged "jobs" that include prominently displayed phrases including (but hardly limited to) the following:

"I am looking to get this research paper done for a class that I'm taking"

"Management and Policy take home final"

"Solve English assignment"

"Introduction to Finance Exam"

"Communications Skills Essay, First Year Uni" [University]

"I need a writer to compose a 1,000-word essay for a high school literature class"

Some of the jobs I have flagged were taken down. The majority of my flags received a perfunctory "Thanks," but the jobs remained live. And the freelancers who service these clients also remain "live" on Upwork.

It's probably because the people responsible for taking these type of jobs down do not know or understand that words like exam, essay, class, assignment, take home final and research paper. refer to academic coursework and thus, they violate Upwork's TOS. 

Community Guru
Anthony H Member Since: Feb 22, 2017
13 of 17

Spoken like a true cynic, Virginia.

Remind me of one of my favorite Lily Tomlin quotes: "No matter how cynical we are, it's never enough."

Community Leader
Bruce D Member Since: Oct 1, 2015
14 of 17

My first freelancing job (on Elance) was academic fraud.  The client  was someone from New Zealand who urgently needed an Access data import/export project done for a very large lamb wholesaler.  After getting over my discomfort with dealing in millions of lamb carcasses, I set to work.   I really wanted to do well on this first job.  I asked probing questions about the context of the system.  The client seemed strangely indifferent to how the system would actually work in daily production.  I pressed him unrelentingly to ask his boss to tie up loose ends.  Finally, he broke down and confessed that it was actually a school project.   He seemed very relieved a) to have things out in the open and b) get me off his back. 

So my naivete was killed early.  Since then I have always mentally vetted jobs for academic fraud.  If it's really obvious I report them.  If it seems likely but not certain I ignore them.  If it seems like a possibility I sometimes apply.  I haven't yet had to turn in any of the latter category.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 17

re: "After getting over my discomfort with dealing in millions of lamb carcasses, I set to work"

But since this was just a school project, it means you didn't actually kill any lambs.

This widget could not be displayed.
16 of 17
This widget could not be displayed.

How about setting a trap? 
Create a category called "College Paper Writing" and then someone could just go in and remove the postings and the accounts en masse. 

These kids may get their degree, but they'll still be dumb and it will show on the job. 

I weep for the future.

Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
17 of 17

When I lived in England, the son of the owner of this chippy I lived above heard that I do writing services and asked me for help with his thesis. I agreed to help because this poor dude's English was very lacking, and I thought he was worried about failing due to a language barrier. He then sent me 17 very poorly written pages (not just language-wise, the actual content was atrocious - I believe I did better research for a biology project when I was 10) and assumed that in a week, I would edit them into 40+ well-drafted pages - and when I said that definitely will not happen, misunderstanding the core of my objection, he went "But I've seen how fast you type!"

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS