Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Usernames showing in the forum

Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
1 of 11

I can see usernames in the forum, isn't this an issue that was supposed to be solved a long time ago?

 

If you click on kudos to see who kudoed a post you will see the username of the person who wrote the post. (only for half a second, but still)

 

With all of these stupid bugs no wonder more and more regulars are leaving the community.

 

@Upwork – please fix (and if someone else har reported this lately I'm sorry. Couldn't be bothered to check through all threads about usernames showing.)

________________________
Freelancing is a gamble - To win you need skill, luck and a strategy
Moderator
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
2 of 11

Hi Eve, 

 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will share this with the rest of our team so that we can investigate this issue. 

 


-Joanne
Untitled
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 11

Usernames have always been just one click away, ever since I first joined the platform many years ago Smiley Wink

 

 

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
4 of 11

At the risk of outing myself as clueless, I don't understand what the issue is. The kudos that flow back and forth are an important part of the community dynamic, IMO. Why wouldn't we want to see who is throwing kudos on which comments?

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
5 of 11

@Phyllis G wrote:

At the risk of outing myself as clueless, I don't understand what the issue is. The kudos that flow back and forth are an important part of the community dynamic, IMO. Why wouldn't we want to see who is throwing kudos on which comments?


It's the difference between the username and the displayed name. Your displayed name can't be used to try and log in to the site, which is why we want usernames to be private - that's half the information needed to try and hack someone's account.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
6 of 11

Doh, I finally see what y'all are talking about. As Eve clearly said to start with, it's the author's user name that briefly appears. (I was looking at the kudo'ers' names.)

Agree, this is a problem.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 11

If any Upwork staff are monitoring this topic, I just discovered a new way to see usernames. Right click the photo for a contributor, then do a Save Image As... When you do, the image is saved as Users_username_PortraitUrl_100.jpeg where username is the actual username. Cat Frustrated

__________________________________________________
"No good deed goes unpunished." -- Clare Boothe Luce
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 11

 


@John K wrote:

If any Upwork staff are monitoring this topic, I just discovered a new way to see usernames. Right click the photo for a contributor, then do a Save Image As... When you do, the image is saved as Users_username_PortraitUrl_100.jpeg where username is the actual username. Cat Frustrated


 It's not new. That's how I've looked up user names (to find profiles only, obviously, not to hack anyone) from day one, many years ago. That or "View Image Info" which is quicker and easier.

 

Usernames have always been just a mouseclick or two away.

 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
9 of 11

@Jess C wrote:

we want usernames to be private - that's half the information needed to try and hack someone's account.

If your user name is half of the information that is needed to hack into your account, you need to change your password right now.

 

Username obscuration is not a security measure. You can log-in on Upwork (and on many other websites) with your e-mail address, which would then mean that everyone who has it has already a foot in the door. This is not true.

 

The key to your account is not your user name or your e-mail address, it's your password. If your password is: EhfRV(y?9Y6kToK$cdd#%s3z?gh{9fE@9pZW, then your account is as safe as the Upwork IT infrastructure is.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
10 of 11

@Rene K wrote:

If your user name is half of the information that is needed to hack into your account, you need to change your password right now.

Username obscuration is not a security measure. You can log-in on Upwork (and on many other websites) with your e-mail address, which would then mean that everyone who has it has already a foot in the door. This is not true.

The key to your account is not your user name or your e-mail address, it's your password. If your password is: EhfRV(y?9Y6kToK$cdd#%s3z?gh{9fE@9pZW, then your account is as safe as the Upwork IT infrastructure is.


Dude. Lighten up. Yes, one's user name and email address are part of logging in, so why would we want them hanging out in the open on a public forum? No, that doesn't excuse weak passwords, but seriously. Pedantry unneccessary here. I offered a simple understanding of an overall problem, not a comprehensive one.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS