🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Verification - again.
Page options
colettelewis
Community Member

Verification - again.

I went through the whole verification process just a few months ago - certainly this year, so why do I have this on my feed page?

Make your account more secure by taking a minute to enable two-step verification. Enabling two-step verification increases security for your account and the personal information you store with Upwork.

Well I am not going to do it again.

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Nichola L wrote:

I went through the whole verification process just a few months ago - certainly this year, so why do I have this on my feed page?

Make your account more secure by taking a minute to enable two-step verification. Enabling two-step verification increases security for your account and the personal information you store with Upwork.

Well I am not going to do it again.

This has nothing to do with ID verification, it is only to do with the security of your account.

Enabling two-step verificationis a good idea.

prestonhunter
Community Member

I agree with Petra that this is a separate matter from identity verification and if is meant for greater security for you...

But for what it's worth...

You can ignore the two-factor suggestion if you want to.

Upwork isn't requiring this.

Oops - thank you both (I really must put my weapons back in the gun cabinet!) I'll do it. 

Smiley EmbarassedSmiley Embarassed

Is there any evidence that 2-factor is actually working? Perhaps someone here can confirm it has come up for them as I have never once seen it in action, very much unlike 2-factor from the likes of Apple, Google, etc. I have had it enabled for some years now.

Scott B wrote:

Is there any evidence that 2-factor is actually working? Perhaps someone here can confirm it has come up for them as I have never once seen it in action, very much unlike 2-factor from the likes of Apple, Google, etc. I have had it enabled for some years now.

It triggers sometimes for me. It's a bad 2-factor because it's based on e-mail or SMS, not on a real authentication app (Google or Microsoft authenticator for instance).

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Nichola L wrote:

Oops - thank you both (I really must put my weapons back in the gun cabinet!) I'll do it. 

Smiley EmbarassedSmiley Embarassed

Actually, Upwork contributed by calling it two-step verification instead of two-factor authentication like everyone else. Cat Wink

That's because it's a two-step verification.

While both terms are used interchangeably, two-factor authentication has an extra layer of protection.

In the case of a two-step verification, an attacker needs to pull off one type of thief, just multiple times, such as accessing something you have (your password) by breaking a database or infecting the target's device with a key logger, and something you receive (Email/SMS), both being digital thiefts.

Two-step verification is at its highest security when used with SMS, but still less secure than two-factor authentication.

On the hand, two-factor authentication requires the attacker to have access to digital information and your physical device.

The trusted physical device, which can be totally offline at the time of authentication, will have a mechanism to generated a time-dependent code that is used for completing the authentication process. This technology is currently supported by Apple.
Latest Articles
Learning Paths