🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Very serious request
Page options
a_lipsey
Community Member

Very serious request

We need more than just a kudos button. I want to roll my eyes, shake my head, headdesk, shrug, and ^^THIS posts. 

Tell those engineers to give me some emojis. The workers demand emojis. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Or at the very least, a thumbs down button...

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Amanda, 

I appreciate your suggestion, and will let Lena and the rest of the team know that you would like these features to be available in the Community. 

I will move your thread to the Coffee Break board which I hope you don't mind. 

~ Avery
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Amanda L wrote:

We need more than just a kudos button. I want to roll my eyes, shake my head, headdesk, shrug, and ^^THIS posts. 

Totally agree! End the emoji-free zone!

richard_wein
Community Member

🦸‍:female_sign:👍

ETA The "woman superhero" looked better on the web page I got it from!

florydev
Community Member

Amanda L wrote:

I want a F this

Or at the very least, a thumbs down button...

Robot Embarassed Woman Very Happy Cat Happy Smiley LOL

Seems like if we can have them in messages, we should be able to have them here. :thumbsdown:

Copy your preference    https://emojipedia.org/thumbs-down-sign-type-4/

or resort to ....

HEAD & WALL.gif

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

I'm sure I represent a minority (maybe a minority of one!) but I feel like more than enough of my interactions with others occur in contexts and using media that discourage us from using our words. Personally, I think it's contributing to the ongoing breakdown of social discourse online and in "real life." More and more people are less and less inclined to invest the time and energy it takes to articulate what they're thinking. Emojis are just too quick and too cool.

In addition to learning things about how the platform works and sharing experiences and insights with other professionals, I've found an authentic community in this forum. I am afraid the experience would be less rich if people could participate by simply popping emojis instead of having to write their thoughts.

Phyllis G wrote:

I'm sure I represent a minority (maybe a minority of one!) but I feel like more than enough of my interactions with others occur in contexts and using media that discourage us from using our words. Personally, I think it's contributing to the ongoing breakdown of social discourse online and in "real life." More and more people are less and less inclined to invest the time and energy it takes to articulate what they're thinking. Emojis are just too quick and too cool.

In addition to learning things about how the platform works and sharing experiences and insights with other professionals, I've found an authentic community in this forum. I am afraid the experience would be less rich if people could participate by simply popping emojis instead of having to write their thoughts.

I wish I could, but I really couldn't have put this better. Ironically Phyllis, I've given kudos to the post, because the feature is 'there', I'd rather it wasn't at all, because at least then people will have to make 'an effort' to (hopefully, constructively) articulate their response to a post. 

The last thing the forum needs is a feature which makes it easier to spread negativity.

No such functionality is needed.

No "thumbs down". No "eye roll."

Users can already respond with words. Or even emojis if they so desire.

Often the most useful posts are the ones which provide a viewpoint quite different from previous posts. Respectful discussion among people with different viewpoints benefits the Forum, and I don't know that giving "thumbs down" would foster that.

If a post violates community guidelines, then it can be edited or removed rather than given a "thumbs down."

Good grief.

Richard S wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

I wish I could, but I really couldn't have put this better. Ironically Phyllis, I've given kudos to the post, because the feature is 'there', I'd rather it wasn't at all, because at least then people will have to make 'an effort' to (hopefully, constructively) articulate their response to a post. 

The last thing the forum needs is a feature which makes it easier to spread negativity.

I like the 'kudo' feature and I wouldn't object at all to a 'thumbs down' button as well. Sometimes, a thread already contains one or more comments that express my sentiments and I see no reason to repeat or re-phrase them, so a simple endorsement is fine (and a non-endorsement button would be welcome). I see emojis as a qualitatively different feature.

Phyllis G wrote:

This is often a generational thing (or those irritating young people who consider themselves 'old souls'), but the idea that little moving images on a computer screen are doing something negative to society is silly, although I get that it has always been the thing to stick our noses up at new facets of language, despite it being ever-evolving. Emojis didn't become popular because young people were too lazy to use words, with their friends it's just a bit of fun, and in internet discourse, a lot of people have realised that not every person deserves their time and words, especially as many people are aggressive or never wanted to listen in the first place. 

Wendy's emoji is the one!  And sometimes pictures really can say it all ... 

Laura M wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

This is often a generational thing (or those irritating young people who consider themselves 'old souls'), but the idea that little moving images on a computer screen are doing something negative to society is silly, although I get that it has always been the thing to stick our noses up at new facets of language, despite it being ever-evolving. Emojis didn't become popular because young people were too lazy to use words, with their friends it's just a bit of fun, and in internet discourse, a lot of people have realised that not every person deserves their time and words, especially as many people are aggressive or never wanted to listen in the first place. 

OK, Millenial.

I'm not categorically dismissing emojis. I am saying that I wouldn't welcome their easy availability in this forum. I think the fact that writing a comment is easier and including an emoji or gif takes a bit more effort, is a good thing. In any case, I question the premise that emojis represent "a new facet of language" (see 'ancient pictographs'). They're a new habit and, like most habits, are neither all good nor all bad.

It is already possible to respond to any post in the Forum using an emoji. Or a series of emojis. Or a mixture of text and emojis.

That's how the Forum works now.

I believe the original suggestion was to add one or more "response" button in addition to the "kudo" button.

That is qualitatively not the same thing as being able to use emojis in the Forum.

Emojis are not response buttons.

For the record: not a Millenial. Smiley LOL

Amanda L wrote:

For the record: not a Millenial. Smiley LOL

OK boomer

Latest Articles
Learning Paths