cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video games

Ace Contributor
Andrea M Member Since: Sep 2, 2016
41 of 80

I was a steam developer myself, quitting after the 2nd game because of the market too crowded: your game comes out and the day later other 100 games have been released already, and after a couple of months everyone will forget your game.

Also for an indie developer it's not economically sustainable, very few people buy the game full price, even if is tagged 5 U$ or less. Most people buy it from bundles where they can get maybe 10 games for 1-2 U$, or when the game is heavily discounted. This and the fact that many developers give free keys for "giveaways" (which leads to nothing to the dev), make the customers not used anymore to pay a decent price for an indie game like it was some years ago.

People may think that if a game shows 10000 reviews it sold well, but actually 95%+ of the copies are sold through bundles, earning maybe 10 cent per copy.

About playing games, I often play:

- Chivalry: medieval warfare (a medieval war simulator)

- H1Z1 (zombie survival)

- RFactor 2 (racing simulator)

- Battlefield 4 (not so much lately, but played a lot of hours 1-2 years ago)

- Second Life (I actually work there, not play)

Games I have liked in the past:

- Dark Earth (not so many people know it but was the best game for that time, 1997)

- Final Fantasy VIII

- Final Fantasy XIX (not as much as the previous chapter)

- Resident Evil 3

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
42 of 80

The game that Rene kicked this thread off with (Firewatch) is currently on 40% off sale until 7 November on Steam.

Community Leader
Jose Daniel M Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
43 of 80

What can I say? I wasted too much playing playing League of legends, and I can be a pain in your ass if you ever get to play against me. I've also played Blade & Soul recently (I appreciate what they did there, but I felt like the developers are treating the American gaming community like fools), and I am going to get a new PC to play Lost Ark. 

Games I've never played but I'd like to test before I die:

WoW

Everything on steam

Halo

Mass effect

Dark Souls series (played a bit of the first one but I'm thirsty for moar).

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
44 of 80

I had dark souls on pre-order and decided not to go through with it because I heard it's really hard. I'm not sure I want to bang my head on a controller for hours. 

WoW is addictive. I've rolled 3 alts and I have my main with Christy. 

Halo is fun but don't have an xbox. The ex got that in the divorce. I got the Sony and Nintendo.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
45 of 80

re: "WoW is addictive."

True story: A few years ago my congregational district (essentially a diocese) presented a special meeting for all the adults in all the constituent congregations which focused on MMORPGs, mainly WoW. It wasn't a "fire and brimstone" thing. It was pretty clinical, really. But the take-home message was pretty clear: WoW is highly addictive. Don't touch it.

The other main point was something to do with the way that spending a large proportion of your time as a fictional avatar self distances one from their true self. Or something. I can't remember the details now.

I genuinely loved Ernest Cline's novel "Ready Player One," by the way (now being made into a film by Steven Spielberg), which tackles these same themes. I finished reading it last week.

None of which is intended to persuade anybody here to stop playing WoW.

But I thought you might be entertained by the story.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
46 of 80

@Preston H wrote:

re: "WoW is addictive."

True story: A few years ago my congregational district (essentially a diocese) presented a special meeting for all the adults in all the constituent congregations which focused on MMORPGs, mainly WoW. It wasn't a "fire and brimstone" thing. It was pretty clinical, really. But the take-home message was pretty clear: WoW is highly addictive. Don't touch it.

The other main point was something to do with the way that spending a large proportion of your time as a fictional avatar self distances one from their true self. Or something. I can't remember the details now.

I genuinely loved Ernest Cline's novel "Ready Player One," by the way (now being made into a film by Steven Spielberg), which tackles these same themes. I finished reading it last week.

None of which is intended to persuade anybody here to stop playing WoW.

But I thought you might be entertained by the story.

It's kinda funny and weird but I always went into WoW for the social aspect. The only reason why I went back and got hardcore addicted was because of the guild Christy inviited me into. I played in 2012-2013 too and got bored fast because I didn't really click with the guild I was in. If I don't have e-friends to play with, I'll get bored of it fast. There have been lots of days our guild has been in voice chat for like 8 hours straight. lol 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
47 of 80

@Jennifer D wrote:

The game that Rene kicked this thread off with (Firewatch) is currently on 40% off sale until 7 November on Steam.

I warmly recommend it :-)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
48 of 80

I have never, ever played a video game - ever.

I have an addictive personality, so I think it is better not to start. And I would never get any work done.  I do a couple of cryptic crosswords a day ( For which I pay - The Times and Telegraph) and get cranky if I am interrupted. God knows what I would be like with any online game.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
49 of 80

@Nichola L wrote:

I have never, ever played a video game - ever.

The other day Preston told me that he doesn't own a cell phone. And now this.

This is way more that I can take. I'm on the verge of a mental shock. I must take a week off from those forums and spend some time walking in the woods.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
50 of 80

"If you go down in the woods today, be sure of a big surprise . . ."

Smiley Very Happy

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS