Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to know the best motivation ever?

Community Leader
André U Member Since: Dec 5, 2013
1 of 13

Hello folks,

First off: I need to share this incredibly messed up situation with you and I apologize for being a bit negative here and there.

It was today morning when I opened my mail box to find two (2) letters composed by lawyers. No need to mention that this meant something unpleasent was to be read.

In short: I "illegally" listened to music online (yes, in Germany specific music is blocked/censored because YouTube for instance does not pay the GEMA - which is a kind of fee for sharing music). Some lawyers now want me to pay roughly 2,500$.

Upon checking the lawyers' names in the internet, I found thousends of similar cases (these lawyers send out tons of demands on a daily basis). Guess what, there are even specialized lawyers who fight against these kind of lawyers. So, on the one side we have lawyers sending out demands and on the other side there are lawyers who do nothing else than fighting against these lawyers. How messed up is that?

Now I need to pay 600$ to the laywers so they can begin fighting against the other lawyers. Incredible, is not it?

What better motivation can you imagine to work? I need this sum to be earned rapidly and will work all night long. Luckily enough, I have quite good projects going on and can earn this sum in pretty short time if I replace sleeping with working. But still, I am just mad.

I live for 2 months now in Germany and really cannot wait going back to Mexico. Yes, it's anarchy over there...more or less...and quite dangerous....but in total I totally prefer living there than in my home country. Too bad I have to live here another 8 months.

Will I end up like my colleague translator who lives in Columbia for decades? Probably yes. No need to be the slave of the "modern", "civilized" Germany when you can lead a free live in Latin America (with more money in your pockets which is worth twice as much).

Sorry, but I really needed to get this out of my head.

Best,

André

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
BEST ANSWER
2 of 13

Germany. Cold. Now.

Mexico. Flooded with Food and Merry-making. Now.

Today's lawyers fight for all sorts of things which has no real bearing on REAL life. It's all about money. If something makes money, someone can be sued for it....then BOOM lawyers!

Hang in there....hey, you're like one of the rising stars with such great performance n just a year here. You got lots to be cheerful about (except lawyers). Sorry Smiley Tongue

I hope the $600 takes care of the $2,500 issue André.

don't forget to have yourself a Feliz Navidad!

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Leader
3 of 13

Hi Dianne,

thanks a lot for the response.

It's pretty sad to see how things are getting worse with every year. I have lived 20 years in Germany and just 1 year (slightly more in Mexico). Guess what was better.

Sure, Mexico has lots of issues on its own (it's quite sad for the population there in fact), but as a freelancer I see absolutely no reason to stay here - except for terminating studies for instance.

The chances of "winning" the case are pretty good (~99%), but it's just a waste of money which could have been spent in something else (flight to mexico?!).

I can just hope that my clients keep contracting me as they did throughout the last 12 years. And regarding the "rising star" thing....shh...German authorities are reading it all. Smiley Wink (not that I am not paying taxes, but they always find new ways to get you pay)

Best,

André

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
4 of 13

Andre, I feel for you. The same exact thing happened to me about 2 yrs ago after I shared my Wifi. The sum in question was much bigger than yours, but the lawyer expense was the same. I assume the name of the lawyer you contacted started with a S and ended with an e. Famous media lawyer. If you haven't committed to a payment yet, I might be able to help you by sharing how they solved mine, just send me a private msg as that's not a forum topic. If it fails, you can still pay the 600 EUR. I do have to say they were able to help me, so if you committed to pay, your money will solve the issue but sometimes I felt as if both lawyers worked together and just split the fee. I would have to look for the 12 pager they wrote for me.

Community Leader
5 of 13

We have a messaging system here? I'd love to get in touch with you, but have no clue how.

If you can send a message first, that'd be lovely. (Hoping that I'll get a notification containing a link to that message). I am pretty much lost in this plattform.

Thank you,

André

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
6 of 13

We do! If you look at the upper left where you see your name and sign in/out, you should see a little envelope, it's to private message users, which is my favorite feature of this new forum. I know how to receive them as I got a few random ones from folks asking for help to get their accounts unbanned, and a pleasant one. I never initiated one and can't figure out how to do it as when I click on your name, given that you have a public profile, I am taken to your oDesk profile. Mine is restricted to oDesk users so you should be able to see my forum page. There should be a messaging option somewhere.

Also, I just reread my initial post and realized I shouldn't have said that the lawyer fee will definitely solve your issue as I am not a fortune teller (unfortunately!). Instead, I was trying to say that the fee I paid took care of my issue. Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
7 of 13
André, you have to initiate PMing Krisztina because your forum profile doesn't show when we click your name,

You can initiate forum PMs by looking at the upper left corner of a user's forum profile (beneath their name and photo). There is a non-obvious link there which says 'send this user a message'. It doesn't look like a link so grrr but hey it works! Smiley Happy

To get to someone's forum profile, you have to click on their name. People who have their oDesk profiles set to public don't have a display of their forum profile so we only see their oDesk one.

by the way, if some of you are getting weird forum PMs like from people wanting to chat at skype etc etc, you can just click ignore. What concern me about this is that weirdo people can see my username (it shows in the PMs) and may try to do bad stuff like hack my account.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
8 of 13

Just curious, Andre.. how did they know that you listened to music illegally online?  Did you leave some digital footprint?  I think you can browse the web incognito..

-the curious cat-

Alex K Member Since: Jan 5, 2008
9 of 13

So did you receive official subpoena from a court, or is it just a spam in your email?

If they are real lawyers, whom do they represent and how come they know your email?

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
10 of 13
Agree with Alexander. This sounds odd. I don't know much about the German legal system, but my experience is that subpoenas have to be served by the court, in hard copy on court letterhead. Sounds like an attempt to get your bank details or something.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS