cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was your first time traumatic?

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
1 of 5

My first time was a bit like so. I was in high school when it happened but after that one time, I knew I liked it and I want more.

Anywhoo, that's how I became a freelancer. After my first gig tutoring some people, I branched out to writing etc and now enjoy life completely nomadic. For me it is the challenge and the dynamic nature of the several fields I work in. I do have post graduate degrees in two fields but freelancing is more my style. For some reason, I never saw myself being in an office or doinng the same things day in and day out. 

Did anyone think I'm referring to something else? Gotcha Smiley Tongue

How about you guys? Care to share how you became a freelancer?

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 5

Dianne,

I did not as you did start out freelancing. I am older and have worked many a job and in many offices. I was laughed at when I decided a few years ago I wanted to work at home. 

In fact, I worked a temp job as the area I live in is very hard to find a decent paying job, and I got laughed at. I was told Ha! Work at home jobs are all scams. I was determined to prove them wrong.

It took a lot of research and tenacity, but I landed two clients, which took me several months to do that I am still with to this day.

I would never go back to the brick and mortar as I love working at home. 

I would say I hate though my taxes are twice what I paid working for someone but it is a small price to pay.

I absolutely love being home and being able to work doing what I do.

Community Guru
3 of 5

Thanks for sharing Suzanne!

I also worked in the brick and mortar world for a few years (I actually still am, but more for consultancy only which doesn't require me to be at the office). I haven't really told people I'm freelancing right now since I also run several businesses but I can understand what you went through upon telling people you are freelancing.

After I quit my corporate job (right after I got promoted no less!), some of my friends thought I was going crazy and that I'm wasting my credentials and education. Now they are all married to their jobs, seldom eats with their kids, don't have time to be intimate with their spouses, and can't travel or take a vacation without fearing of losing their jobs to someone else. I'm truly happy I chose this life. Time is gold and I feel blessed that I can spend it the way I want to. Being tethered to an office or just one company won't allow me that.

Prajwal P Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
4 of 5

My first time was in high school.I guess it is not so traumatic for boys as it is for girls.
As i did all the heavy lifting i was tired but not in a traumatic way. It was sweaty and not quite as i hoped it would be.

Holy hell , i am not sure how to fix that....
Aah "we were throwing big rocks at train?"Yeah let's stick with that one .. IT WAS A FREELANCING GIG FOR A WEIRD CLIENT OK , what do you want me to say?

Community Guru
5 of 5

You got it right! thanks for the laughs.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS